Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

The AMS Genesis coupe is HERE!!! Let the modding BEGIN!!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2009, 03:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ivan hasn't had a whole lot of time to post but when he has he has been posting on the genesis forums. He has already done:

Fuel Pump test
Taken the numbers off the turbo to inspect for an upgrade
Weighed just about everything on the car
tested for wheel fitment
Done intercooler measuring and prototyping
BOV block off plate
Prototyped an exhaust
Tested the intake for improvement
etc
etc
etc

check out www . Genesisforums . org in our section for more info. I can't put the full link because it gets blocked.

Eric
Old Mar 30, 2009, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BOV block off plate? why blocking the BOV?
Old Mar 30, 2009, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by philm00x
BOV block off plate? why blocking the BOV?
I think they mean blocking off the return tube back to the intake. This car does not need that for an accurate air count since it runs off the MAP sensor and not a MAF.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

I finally have time to post this...

I took Ivan's Genesis out for a bit last week before I left. It's gonna be badass...it's already a quick and fun car, I can't wait to see what becomes of it. It's a perfect platform to build off of....turbo, RWD, cheap, good looking, etc.

Stock it's pretty soft, but I think that's a good thing. Not everyone wants and Evo like ride, and this is a good compromise. The steering is really nice, it's weighted nicely and not overly assisted. The engine is quiet, and pretty sedate....but Im sure that'll change being that it belongs to an AMS employee hahaha. Overall it's going to be a great car, and I can say that I am very jealous. If I get back into RWD soon, it'll be in Gen coupe no doubt.

Good luck with the car Ivan, I'm still so pumped for you!
Old Mar 30, 2009, 06:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by TearItUpSports
I think they mean blocking off the return tube back to the intake. This car does not need that for an accurate air count since it runs off the MAP sensor and not a MAF.
The factory BOV is IN the compressor housing. The plan is to block this off and run a proper BOV on the IC piping.

Old Mar 30, 2009, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

exactly the same style as an SRT4 or VW turbo engine.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 01:32 PM

ahhhhhhh gotcha... i suppose for the first while when i get my own coupe that i'll use the bov block off plate for an aftermarket bov. but i would wanna upgrade the turbo asap.
Old Mar 31, 2009, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bye bye evo!!

ahh jk.. but, reading this makes me wanna get a genesis
Old Mar 31, 2009, 07:24 PM

i'm so effing glad hyundai went to a MAP based intake system on this car. when they converted to MAF in 04 after the first year of the latest model tiburon, i thought to myself "why the eff did they do that?!"
Old Mar 31, 2009, 11:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ivan@AMS
The factory BOV is IN the compressor housing. The plan is to block this off and run a proper BOV on the IC piping.

Is that a cat converter right off the turbo? If so That has to free up a good 10whp or more.

What a crappy spot for that but I am sure they figure everyone is going to go tbe anyhow.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 07:30 AM
Account Disabled

subscribed
Old Apr 1, 2009, 03:10 PM
Former Sponsor

So, I finally had time to dissect some of the data Ivan collected while I was away in Texas. Definitely some very interesting finds, but no huge power gains

The fist thing Ivan did we re-baseline the car. In a effor to make sure our test results are always 100% accurate we always test, and retest our results to make sure that you can get the same power out of your car! Next on the to-do list was to put 93oct in the tank and run the car on the dyno again to see if it would learn itself some more power. On those 4 pulls there was no change.

Then Ivan decided to reset the ECU (disconnect the battery). After doing 4 more pulls, this end result was this:

It gained about 10whp from about 5500 RPMS to redline. There was no real, discernible difference other than that.

The next 3 three things he did dyno tests for are delete the silencer, deleted the 2nd catalytic converter with a test pipe in its place, and installed a prototype cat-back exhaust system. The runs are pictured below. As you can see there isn't really any difference between the runs. The difference in the peak numbers can be attributed to the standard variance that you will see from run to run anyways.

So far, our best bet has been to throw a boost controller on it and turn up the boost! We will be doing some more interesting stuff very shortly and we should have some very exciting things to show you guys in the near future!

-Chris
Old Apr 1, 2009, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

no gain from a tbe?
Old Apr 1, 2009, 03:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That was not a TBE. that was a catback and a test pipe. There is still a cat right off the end of the turbo. I personally have a feeling its going to be one of those cars that unless you replace the entire TBE any single exhaust component is not going to get you much of a gain. Both primary and secondary cats are pretty beefy and most likely pretty restrictive.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 03:39 PM
Former Sponsor

That is correct.

The big picture here is that this motor isn't really flowing a whole ton of air. These are essentially air pumps, and when we try to make them more efficient, we make it easier for it to 'breathe'. If its not having a hard time 'breathing' in the first place, giving it more space to do it in most likely wont make any horsepower increase. There is no reason to condemn this motor just yet. Normally the first thing we like to do on any of these cars is get into the ECU and crank it up a bit. I am sure we will see some good gains once we find a suitable solution for this.

Just because there arent any big restrictions at the 200whp range, it is no reason to be discouraged! Obviously as we start to flow some more air we are going to need all of these optimizations that aren't making us any HP right now.

For now, yes, bolt on wise, there isn't anything that we have tested that produces a significant, repeatable gain. When we turn the wick up a little bit, I am sure we will see exactly what we are looking for... MORE HP!!

-Chris

Quick Reply: The AMS Genesis coupe is HERE!!! Let the modding BEGIN!!!