Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

The AMS Genesis coupe is HERE!!! Let the modding BEGIN!!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2009, 07:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got into the Coupe's engine compartment a bit today. Steve and Rich took a lot of pictures that Rich will be editing and posting up tomorrow. LOTS of interesting things under the hood.

Fuel system is a returnless style but has a removable plug on the end that could possibly make it adaptable to a return style system with a boost compensating fuel pressure regulator.

The intake manifold is quite odd. It appears that there is a vacuum reservoir built into it.

The BOV is installed in the compressor housing (like an SRT-4) and is connected to the vac reservoir which allows the ECU to open it even under boost. When we had the car on the dyno Sunday, we found the boost limit at around 18.5 psi but it was not a hard cut like we normally see (when fuel injectors are shut off) but rather a soft cut like the BOV was being opened. Our engineering department took measurements for a CNC block off plate!!

The intake tube has a large restrictive metal muffler installed in the middle of it. If I remember correctly, it necks the inlet down to around 2" in that spot. The good thing is that it is easily replaced with a piece of tubing. I am not sure if you will see HP gains from deleting this on a stock car, but it will eventually be a restriction as mods progress. The intake also has a large capped off bung on it that looks as if it was designed for a recirculating BOV. I have already noticed oil in the intake tube. I have 200 miles on the car. A catch can for the PCV system will certainly be needed to prevent oil from coating the inside of the IC piping and intercooler.

The air filter box and ducting to it seem to be very nice pieces. Air enters the upper grill opening in the bumper and flows through slots on the radiator block off plate to the inlet of the snorkel for the air box. We will do some testing, but I think that the factory setup should be just fine for most applications.

The compressor wheel on the turbo is actually bigger than I had anticipated. It will be interesting to see what the turbine side looks like. It will also be interesting to see what kind of HP we can get out of the factory turbo before we upgrade it.

Intercooler piping is thick wall aluminum. ID is approximately 1 3/4" on the hot side pipe I measured. An upgrade will be needed here for sure.

I am sure there are other things I am forgetting but I will have to review the pictures tomorrow.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 07:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bryan at JRZUSA
Well you guys know where to send the stock shocks when it comes time for handling development
I think that Eric has already contacted you guys regarding the Coupe.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 07:24 PM
Evolving Member

I van i love your cray *** better be a sick ride in the end!
Old Mar 24, 2009, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AutoMotoSports
it should, The reason we tried this is that Santiago suggested I try it on our AMS chrome badges for my BMW. Came out great so we told Ivan to do it as well just go light on it for the best black chrome finish

Eric
Thanks.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I sure wish there was something that could be done to keep that 10 year warranty from Hyundai!
Old Mar 25, 2009, 07:10 AM

Do you see any major issue? "Like Axles,Diff or trans not being able to hold the power"
Old Mar 25, 2009, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nochance
Do you see any major issue? "Like Axles,Diff or trans not being able to hold the power"
other then axles thickness they wouldnt be able to tell this without either A) beating the **** out of the car till it broke or B) opening the components up to take a look at the gearsets
Old Mar 25, 2009, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Chabada15
other then axles thickness they wouldnt be able to tell this without either A) beating the **** out of the car till it broke or B) opening the components up to take a look at the gearsets
but nonetheless a valid inquiry by nochance
Old Mar 25, 2009, 04:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pretty car.

ROAD/RACE
Old Mar 25, 2009, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

cant wait. going to go look at one tomm.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 10:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Chabada15
Axles are 1.100" They look beefy.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 10:38 PM
Account Disabled

Location: driving the 10 second beast in ohio or running lightmods.net
lets see some figures guys....93 octane, open exhaust, boost controller , aem fic something good i need to make sure i am making the right decision getting my X this weekend lol
Old Mar 26, 2009, 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

Ivan, did you pay cash or finance the car? Just curious as to what kind of financing rates they're offering for the car!
Old Mar 26, 2009, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And kids listen up......

since we are dealing with Hyundai here the company has this deal where if you get laid off or somehow lose your job in this horrible economy, you can return your car to the dealership w/o any penalties..lol

return it after you trash on it lol
Old Mar 26, 2009, 07:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by uneedthis2
Ivan, did you pay cash or finance the car? Just curious as to what kind of financing rates they're offering for the car!
Despite what people may think, nobody is getting rich at AMS. We are all struggling to make ends meet and spend our disposable funds wisely.

I am not sure what Hyundai is offering for rates. I financed through my bank.

Anybody want to buy a sweet 97 Nissan 240sx to help me get this Gen Coupe paid down? LOL...

Quick Reply: The AMS Genesis coupe is HERE!!! Let the modding BEGIN!!!