Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

AMS Product Rlease: EVO X Twin Tip Cat Back Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2009, 07:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I apologize for the small scratches in the tip. I have instructed my shipping dept to add more packing material to the boxes and wrap the polished parts better. If you use a little metal polish on it they should come right out.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The dent and the deep scratch won't, but some of the more superficial ones might.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

I have all the luck. So I went to install this today, and it turns out it's missing a gasket and 2 bolts. So not only did it arrive damaged, it was also missing pieces. Absolutely not what I would have expected for a $1200 exhaust, or from AMS.

They're shipping out the missing pieces, but being a Friday I won't get them until Monday at the earliest and I miss my tuning appointment. What a nightmare.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 02:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am sorry, the scratches could be attributed to shipping and handling but the missing gasket and two bolts was certainly our fault. Please mention this the next time you order and we will be sure to make up for it.

Eric
Old Jun 12, 2009, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

I'll do that, thanks. I appreciate the gesture.

I'm sure the scratches and dent were attributable to the shipping, as the tip on the muffler section was absolutely pristine. It sounds like you've already adjusted shipping procedures, so future buyers will be fine.

On the phone it was mentioned that it usually ships with gaskets and bolts on both ends of the engine-side mid-pipe. Mine came with the gasket and bolts on the muffler-side mid-pipe, which only has one 2-bolt flange because the other uses the v-band clamps. It sounds like that's probably where the mistake occurred. Just thought I'd mention it.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Just wanted to post an update. I got this installed today, and most of it fit up nicely. One issue I found is that it will not bolt up to the stock cat with the hardware provided unless you have something available that can cut the welded-on bolts from the cat. The bolts that came on the car stock won't work either, as they're too big to fit through the AMS midpipe. This is not to mention getting the heat shield pulled back from around the cat is a huge pain, but obviously that's not AMS's fault.

What I eventually did was buy stainless bolts that were about 1/2" longer than those provided, basically passing the bolt through the larger welded-on nut and securing it on the other side. This seems to work, but I'm worried about the quality of the bolts (Home Depot ). Did you guys cut those nuts off when you test-fit it to the stock cat? Any tips?

The second issue I have is that I tried the smallest diameter plate that allows exhaust through the passenger-side tip. I love the overall sound and the level, but I hear an undesirable high-frequency noise almost like chirping coming from that tip. I can't tell if the exhaust passing through that hole is whistling, or if there's some vibration, or what. I think I have the v-bands tight enough, but I don't want to over-tighten. Have you guys ever heard this on any of the cars you tested on? You can hear it pretty good in this video I made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukEa9I0vBEo

If I could get the idle and rev sound without that high-frequency noise, I'd be ecstatic. It sounds great otherwise. Thanks for the help...

Last edited by gizmotoy; Jun 16, 2009 at 09:33 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

It sounds like you have the mid-pipe on backwards, there are two different two bolt flanges on the midpipe, one has holes in it large enough to fit onto the cat. The other one will be too small to fit on the cat but that is because the it is made to go to the rear section.

As for the gasket hardware for the midpipe, originally we did not include the gasket for the cat because 99% of the time the gasket comes off in great shape and can be re-used. However recently we have heard of some cases where it was not in great shape so we will now be including the gasket for that connection, obviously retaining the factory bolts. Also if you have the correct flange on the downpipe you will not have to mess with the heat shield at all.

For further reference you can look at the install instructions, in the picture after step 4 you can see which end of the mid pipe goes where.

http://www.amsperformance.com/instru...structions.pdf

Originally Posted by gizmotoy
Just wanted to post an update. I got this installed today, and most of it fit up nicely. One issue I found is that it will not bolt up to the stock cat with the hardware provided unless you have something available that can cut the welded-on bolts from the cat. The bolts that came on the car stock won't work either, as they're too big to fit through the AMS midpipe. This is not to mention getting the heat shield pulled back from around the cat is a huge pain, but obviously that's not AMS's fault.

What I eventually did was buy stainless bolts that were about 1/2" longer than those provided, basically passing the bolt through the larger welded-on nut and securing it on the other side. This seems to work, but I'm worried about the quality of the bolts (Home Depot ). Did you guys cut those nuts off when you test-fit it to the stock cat? Any tips?

Last edited by Scottr126; Jun 17, 2009 at 07:52 AM.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 08:54 AM
Cyp
Evolving Member

will it pass smog?
Old Jun 17, 2009, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Scott@AMS
It sounds like you have the mid-pipe on backwards, there are two different two bolt flanges on the midpipe, one has holes in it large enough to fit onto the cat. The other one will be too small to fit on the cat but that is because the it is made to go to the rear section.
That is likely the issue, from your description. I thought I had it all aligned so the longer section of the midpipe goes to the cat, as in the picture in the instructions, but I probably swapped it around the wrong way when pulling it under the car by mistake. I'll take a closer look tonight when I button it all up permanently. If it's easy to do, that would be an excellent note in the instructions to ensure future buyers can get the pipe installed properly. The midpipe is only a few inches longer on the one end, and appears to fit reasonably well installed backwards, as I didn't notice any clearance issues.

Any idea about the chirping noise? I was going to try flipping the plate around the other direction, and possibly try some of the other plates, to figure out where the problem is.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 09:28 AM

Is there any reason why AMS stopped offering this exhaust on their website? Lack of interest or low sales? Or are they trying to drive up sales on the single exit exhaust? Sorry for reviving an old thread, just looking for a solid answer to this products removal.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 07:15 AM
Former Sponsor

We stopped offering this exhaust as we were having issues sourcing materials for it and it required a ton of labor to produce. We currently have a lot of projects going on at the shop that need to be completed but we do have plans to produce another twin tip option in the near future.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With that being said.... I wanted to buy your stage 1 & 2 with dyno tune on my 2011 GSR. Do you know if the buschur dual catback will work with your test pipe and down pipe?
Old Jul 1, 2011, 09:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Turbo13
With that being said.... I wanted to buy your stage 1 & 2 with dyno tune on my 2011 GSR. Do you know if the buschur dual catback will work with your test pipe and down pipe?
Unfortunately we have not had a car come in here with the Buschur dual cat-back exhaust on it but if it bolts to the stock cat then it should bolt up to out test pipe.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Turbo13
Yea, it works just fine. I was running the Buschur exhaust with the AMS downpipe and testpipe with no problems. This setup sounded amazing, I recently just switched to the AMS single which sounds even better IMO.