Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

AMS Product Rlease: EVO X Twin Tip Cat Back Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2009, 05:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AMS Product Rlease: EVO X Twin Tip Cat Back Exhaust

The AMS Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Twin Tip Cat-Back Exhaust System
is the most unique exhaust system on the market. Developed to be a truly customizable exhaust for both looks and sound, it is the most versatile cat-back available to date.

The AMS Twin Tip Exhaust System has the ability to change the exhaust tone to fit your personal taste by utilizing exhaust silencer disks placed inside of the exhaust piping. This allows the owner to fine tune their exhaust note up to a 5db difference in only a few minutes with basic hand tools! These silencer disks are placed on the passenger size tip v-band connection so there is no need to raise the car off the ground to change them. Ranging from completely open to completely closed, this connection can subtly or drastically change the exhaust tone to suit your tastes.

Another unique feature is the V-Band connections also allow for easy removal of the muffler section (including driver’s side tip) to change the exhaust to a full 3” straight pipe with single exhaust tip for track use. This not only allows for more exhaust flow, increasing weight savings to 38 lbs over the stock exhaust system.

The AMS Twin Tip Exhaust System has undergone countless hours of research and development and has been designed to make the most horse power as well as shed serious weight off your EVO X. Our exhaust features mandrel bent piping for the best exhaust flow. This system does not have any restrictions like other popular exhaust systems that "neck down" and hurt performance. Like all other AMS exhaust products this Twin Tip Cat-Back Exhaust is TIG welded with 100% 304 stainless components including the flanges and hangers. The system utilizes factory exhaust hangers and includes a high quality polished muffler and matching polished exhaust tips. By simply installing this exhaust system you can expect to see as much as 15+ Wheel Horsepower gains over stock without even re-tuning the ECU!

Features

• Silencer Plates included to custom tune your exhaust sound
• 3" throughout entire system. Does not "neck down" like other systems
• 100% Stainless Steel construction. No mild steel flanges or hangers
• Utilizes both 2 Bolt and V-Band flanged connections for leak-free operation
• 15+ Wheel Horsepower gains over stock
• 24 lb. weight savings (21 lbs. compared to stock at 45 lbs.)
• 38 lb. weight savings with muffler removed
• 6" Of Ground clearance, no lower than the factory cross member
• Bolts up to the factory catalytic converter, AMS High-Flow Cat or AMS Test-Pipe
• Includes gaskets and hardware
• Unrivaled fit and finish

Specifications

• 304 Stainless Steel
• 3” Piping .049” Wall Thickness
• Polished Muffler and Matching Polished Tip
• V-Band Connections at the Muffler and Tip for easy exhaust note changes
• 3/8" Thick Stainless Steel Flanges
• 21 lbs

Applications

• Mitsubishi Evolution X GSR and MR Models
• Fits all USDM, JDM and European Models

Click HERE to purchase!

Old May 30, 2009, 06:43 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got this on my car today install was easy and parts look great and better in person does looks stock but it gives it that stealthy look which i like....and omg it sounds great..Thanks AMS another great buy wait until i show you guys the power i made with a tune with you guys parts on it
Old May 30, 2009, 06:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Man with exhaust that pretty it's a pitty it's not on top of the car
Old May 31, 2009, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Anybody made any videos on this exhaust yet?

to AMS for another high quality product.
Old May 31, 2009, 10:48 AM
Evolving Member

sound clips?
Old May 31, 2009, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wait wont one side be rediculously loud and the other one be really quiet? like isnt it basically straight piped on one side?
Old May 31, 2009, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

The exhaust system is tunable. At the connection of the passenger side tip and the rest of the exhaust you can insert a included disk of your choice, you can either have it fully open, close it off completely or go somewhere in the middle.

I made some instructions for the exhaust that go a little more in detail about this feature on page 6.

http://amsperformance.com/instructio...structions.pdf

Originally Posted by evobeatsti
wait wont one side be rediculously loud and the other one be really quiet? like isnt it basically straight piped on one side?
Old May 31, 2009, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evobeatsti
Yes, I was wondering the same thing. Is this system legal with the pass side completely open. Wouldn't most of the exhaust sound completely bypass the muffler?

Last edited by MrMeaner; May 31, 2009 at 12:44 PM. Reason: grammar
Old May 31, 2009, 03:35 PM
Account Disabled

i run mine 100% open and it flows out the right side more but that is only at WOT you can really tell overall it comes out both sides equally
Old Jun 1, 2009, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

That's another good thing about the system. If you want to lose some weight and have maximum flow you can remove the muffler section all together.

Originally Posted by Evo a Mula
i run mine 100% open and it flows out the right side more but that is only at WOT you can really tell overall it comes out both sides equally
Old Jun 1, 2009, 02:05 PM

If you opt to remove the muffler does the exhaust flow out of both outlets, or is there a cap for the bend going to the removed muffler?

Is there an advantage to this design over one that has the mid-pipe going through the muffler? Options for swapping a straight pipe and using v-bands would still exist and probably be a cleaner design with fewer bends and junctions.

Something like this...

Sorry I'm not an artist.

Last edited by worm~; Jun 1, 2009 at 02:08 PM.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 02:23 PM
Former Sponsor

You can cap off one end but to keep things as free flowing as possible I would leave both open if you are removing the muffler.

We though about the other way but it would not allow us to have a tunable system as no matter what the exhaust had to flow through the muffler.

Eric
Old Jun 3, 2009, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

cant wait to see dyno charts comparing the single vs duel !
Old Jun 4, 2009, 08:59 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jeff1121
cant wait to see dyno charts comparing the single vs duel !
Edmunds.com did a review and dyno testing of the twin tip vs single tip. Very interesting results!

http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/2...t-exhaust.html
Old Jun 4, 2009, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just picked mine up from UPS today. The craftsmanship on this part is simply outstanding. From the sturdy clamps you selected to the burned-on AMS logo of the polished tips, everything looks top notch. You guys really know what you're doing.

Some constructive criticism, though... I don't know if you have a standard packing method for these, and if so it could use re-evaluation. The loose tip (the one not connected to the muffler) arrived with its bubble wrap layer completely popped, scratched in many places (one quite deep), and with a small dent in the side. It was shipped on the loose end of the box with the clamps and those little air cushions, of which 75-80% were also popped. The box itself looked fine, and while I'm not going to unpack everything until I install it, the rest of the muffler looks fine. For example, the tip connected to the muffler that was packed with expanding foam looks flawless, which makes me think this was shipping damage. Obviously it had done quite a bit of bouncing around during it's short journey to me.

While they're ultimately superficial wounds, it was certainly a bit unexpected.

Last edited by gizmotoy; Jun 4, 2009 at 07:20 PM.

Quick Reply: AMS Product Rlease: EVO X Twin Tip Cat Back Exhaust