Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

Evap canister and AMS surge tank question

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2009, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evap canister and AMS surge tank question

Since I'm running the AMS VSR and AEM, can the Evap canister be removed? Also does the AMS fuel surge tank kit replace the Evap canister? Lastly, what's the install cost for the fuel surge tank kit?

l8r)
Old Sep 22, 2009, 08:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ludikraut
Since I'm running the AMS VSR and AEM, can the Evap canister be removed? Also does the AMS fuel surge tank kit replace the Evap canister? Lastly, what's the install cost for the fuel surge tank kit?

l8r)
Yes, the Evap canister can be removed when you have AEM EMS because it does not check the emissions system. I would save the parts though in case you have to take emissions again in the future. The AMS surge tank does replace the Evap canister and mounts in the same spot. The Evap canister is for emissions and it contains charcoal that absorbs the hydrocarbons so they are not released directly into the air but rather sent into the intake to be burned in the combustion cambers. Our surge tank stores fuel so that the inline fuel pump will never starve of fuel even on hard turns or fast stops. It is 620.00 to install the AMS Surge tank system here.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Thank you, sir. More stuff to mull over this winter...

One more question regarding the surge tank, would it be an issue to run an exhaust pipe next to it? I guess I could heat wrap it if necessary...

l8r)
Old Sep 22, 2009, 10:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Thank you, sir. More stuff to mull over this winter...

One more question regarding the surge tank, would it be an issue to run an exhaust pipe next to it? I guess I could heat wrap it if necessary...

l8r)
There is a shield that covers the tank and this is provided in the kit
Old Sep 22, 2009, 01:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Typically the exhaust runs out the pass side. The surge tank is mounted on the drivers side of the car. You should have no issues with exhaust unless you are planning a dual exhaust.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tim@AMSperformance
... unless you are planning a dual exhaust.

l8r)
Old Oct 11, 2009, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Do you guys have any installed pictures?
Old Oct 12, 2009, 07:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
Do you guys have any installed pictures?
If you click on the link below, it is our instructions with a couple of pictures so you can see how it is mounted with the lines.

**Click Here**
Old Oct 12, 2009, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

With the surge tank having its own fuel pump, does that then result in a dual in-line setup, or would I have to look at getting a dual-pump surge-tank setup?

l8r)
Old Oct 12, 2009, 07:51 AM
Former Sponsor

With the surge tank having its own fuel pump, does that then result in a dual in-line setup, or would I have to look at getting a dual-pump surge-tank setup?

l8r)
You can add another inline pump to the surge tank kit by adding a few fittings and lines. We have done this with vehicles making high hp and also with E85 users.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Now I'm confused ... ok, maybe I've been confused all along ...

With the surge tank kit, a fuel pump remains in the stock location, right? So, if that is the case, then the stock location + surge tank pump != dual in-line; but stock location + 2 surge tank pumps = dual in-line for high HP and/or E85, or no?

l8r)
Old Oct 12, 2009, 09:16 AM
Former Sponsor

With the surge tank kit, a fuel pump remains in the stock location, right? So, if that is the case, then the stock location + surge tank pump != dual in-line; but stock location + 2 surge tank pumps = dual in-line for high HP and/or E85, or no?

l8r)

The stock location pump feeds the surge tank itself. The surge tank is where the inline pump gets its fuel from and then sends it to the fuel rail. High hp and E85 cars run a second inline pump running in series between the first inline pump and the fuel rail to ensure proper fuel delivery.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

l8r)
Its a bit confusing to understand why the in-tank pump and the pump the kits comes with don't work in series without seeing all the fuel lines connected up. Once you do, it starts to make more sense.

Basically, the in-tank fuel pump keeps the surge tank filled with fuel, and its always pumping. Once the surge tank is full, there are return lines that drain back to the tank. So, the first pump is never able to pressurize the surge tank, which means the in-line pump is the only one generating pressure for the fuel getting to the fuel rail.

I'm running the surge tank with 2 in-line pumps in series (sitting between the surge tank and the fuel rail), and that's been enough fuel for ~30psi on a 2.3L stroker with an HTA35R. I'm not sure how much extra (if any) headroom I have.

Dave
Old Oct 12, 2009, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks guys. Makes sense now.

l8r)