Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

AMS sponsored Ryan Upham, 2nd place finish in ST2 at NASA national championships.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2011, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMS sponsored Ryan Upham, 2nd place finish in ST2 at NASA national championships.

Hey Everyone,

This past weekend was the NASA national championships at Midohio. It was a great weekend of racing with an outcome I did not see coming, but regardless it was fun.

The class I race in NASA is Super Touring 2, this is a wheel to wheel comp class where the cars are restricted by a power to weight ratio. Going into the Championship race there was 24 cars registered for our class. While 24 is a healthy number, our class was one of five that would be racing at the same time with a total car count in the mid 50's.

Before I start I would like to thank all of my sponsors for all the dedication and help to make sure the TeamWIN evo is at every event, so a special big thanks to AMS!

As the weekend started weather was already an issue, rain and clouds surrounded the track. This led to a lot of last minute changes and decisions on car set up. The classes were still strong despite the weather so I felt good about the weekend. Also to clear this up, for nationals NASA does a little different set upon qualifying. There are 2 qualifying races, one on thursday and one on friday, and the finishing positions combine will net you points to determine the starting grid for the 45 min championship race. On thursday I managed to get 7th and it was a clean race. On friday the track was packed but once again I managed a clean race and got a 5th place finish. With the 7th and 5th we were able to secure 4th on grid for the National Championships.

On race day the car was ready to go and I was looking forward to another clean dry race. I was getting faster with every session and at the start of our race i was under a second off the lead qualifiers times. I had only been to midohio before, but instantly felt at home on the track and the dropping laptimes proved it. Went from 1;34.9 to 1:33.6 to 1:32.9 and then finally a 1;32.7. There was lots of accidental contact in that first lap and until the other cars found their place on track, it was all or nothing. My evo was fast in the back sections but slower in all the long straights, so I knew where I had to make my passes and keep distance on lapped or slower traffic. Everything was going good but I had some accident contact with another driver which took us both off track. We both went off, both did well from there on in, and both finished the race! I actually went on to place second in my class and 3rd over all. BUt when it was all said and done, I had gotten suspended for that accidental contact that they were calling "punting"

So despite all the action of a track from the wet, dry, and raining....the position I worked for was DQ and given to the next guy in line.

Pics to come soon, I have another race this weekend and the GTA event. I have been very busy trying to repair the car from the accident so as soon as I get a hold of more pics I will post them up. Untill then, the race is on speedcasttv.com so feel free to click the link and watch our race!

NASA ST-2 race
Old Sep 15, 2011, 06:41 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome job Ryan with improving your times under those conditions!!!

Sorry to hear about the DQ, sometimes the accidents can't be avoided.

Lets us know if you need anything and good luck this weekend at the GTA event
Old Sep 15, 2011, 06:58 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats man! Sucks to hear about the DQ though! "punting"...interesting...
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks guys, yea in the directors mind he determined that i hit the guy to gain position. There is the uncaring video from the subaru behind me who saw the whole incident. Coming into corner 2 it began to rain and i was going to fast, you can see me slow down but I couldn't keep it from siding. I got off the brakes and tried to go low and attempt to scrub speed as i was worried about hitting the cars that were already to my left. By mid corner I shot across the track and hit a lotus.

It sucked, I was one of the fastest cars on track and sometimes the fastest. I made good passes, despite some other evos were around my lap times I put a lot of time on them just through navigating traffic.

This weekend at Autobahn I will try take out any aggression and lock up 2 first places at home.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Congrats, sorry to hear about the DQ. Nice meeting you down there.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Congrats, and sorry to hear the bad news! Theres always next time! Keep up the great work! Be safe!
Old Sep 15, 2011, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Nice job

Found the video if anyone is interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouuz_...eature=related
Old Sep 22, 2011, 12:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
I just saw your video. It is a total BS. I would protest , no question.
You didn't gain one one position. After we all saw the video (review it ) we can all agree he hold you back LOL

Anyway , guys I have all my respect for you . Well done !

Rob