Notices

Got ticket in Ontario, Burlington, on QEW

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2005, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had 2 tickets. Invalid insurance and Passing off roadway. Well, I gave the cop my insurance and it was an old one because I cant find my current one and he said it doesnt matter BUT HE DID NOT SAY HE WAS GOING TO GIVE ME A TICKET. Then he gave me one for passing on roadway. My car is an 03 and he written it as an 05. Can I fight this off?

BTW, when he came back to my car, I tried to give him my current insurance because I found it afterwards and he didnt even listen to me and just left me the tickets and left. If he would've said that I will get a ticket, I would've went to the back of my car and start searching for everything. He didnt explain anything to me at all just to read the back and follow the instructions.
Old Apr 9, 2005, 11:32 PM

if you want i know a guy that can help you out with this.
call this guy, he is a friend of mine. his name is Mo 416-410-uwin and tell him that you got his number throw me, just say noel with a yellow lancer from mitsubishicarclubcanada and he'll hook you up
Old Apr 10, 2005, 05:54 AM
Evolving Member

If the citation includes false information ('03 vs '05), then it's invalid. You can fight it and win.

However, there are no interconnections between U.S. and Canadian insurance agencys and traffic Bureaus. I am currently using my Ontario driver's licence and had moving violations in U.S. My insurance agent can't find any records. As a result, yours won't know about the ticket, so it's entirely up to you whether to pay or fight it.
Old Apr 10, 2005, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

false.. there is a connection between most of the Northeastern states (NY,NJ,CT,PA) with ontario and quebec.. if they haven't seen the record yet, they will soon enough.. don't think they won't get to you.. it might take a few months but it WILL show up on your record

as for the wrong info, they have already stop throwing tickets out on "minor" mistakes like year of car, model, date etc.. they will just correct it when you bring it in..
the only errors they will throw out on is if they got your VIN or licence number wrong, or the offense is wrong,etc..

my advice is just to bring your ticket and your insurance paper with you to see the judge and most likely he will throw that one out.. as for passing off road.. that's going to be tought either way

-joe
Old Apr 11, 2005, 08:58 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by TRDHarrier

I had 2 tickets. Invalid insurance and Passing off roadway. Well, I gave the cop my insurance and it was an old one because I cant find my current one and he said it doesnt matter BUT HE DID NOT SAY HE WAS GOING TO GIVE ME A TICKET. Then he gave me one for passing on roadway. My car is an 03 and he written it as an 05. Can I fight this off?

BTW, when he came back to my car, I tried to give him my current insurance because I found it afterwards and he didnt even listen to me and just left me the tickets and left. If he would've said that I will get a ticket, I would've went to the back of my car and start searching for everything. He didnt explain anything to me at all just to read the back and follow the instructions.
Minor details that are wrong do not matter. You are lucky he didnt give you a ticket for either
A) more then 1 insurance slip in your posetion
B) Carrieing Invalid insurance slip

What do you mean he gave you a ticket for passing on a roadway. I have never heard of this charge.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 08:59 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Dr. Fob
If the citation includes false information ('03 vs '05), then it's invalid. You can fight it and win.
That is a myth. It was true about 10 years ago.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 09:01 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by sillypuddy
false.. there is a connection between most of the Northeastern states (NY,NJ,CT,PA) with ontario and quebec.. if they haven't seen the record yet, they will soon enough.. don't think they won't get to you.. it might take a few months but it WILL show up on your record

as for the wrong info, they have already stop throwing tickets out on "minor" mistakes like year of car, model, date etc.. they will just correct it when you bring it in..
the only errors they will throw out on is if they got your VIN or licence number wrong, or the offense is wrong,etc..

my advice is just to bring your ticket and your insurance paper with you to see the judge and most likely he will throw that one out.. as for passing off road.. that's going to be tought either way

-joe

Exactly

Im still a little confussed with this "passing on road" "Passing off road" buisness. which is it? On or off? I have never heard of this charge
Old Apr 11, 2005, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

Why is everyone disagreeing with me? I know what I was talking about...

In regards to cross-border references, after 9/11 new laws have passed in the interest of national security. The revised Privacy Act precluded any U. S. insurance agency to trace the driving record of Canadian drivers. I have called every big insurance company trying to get the best rate for my cars, and most cannot insure international licence holders. I benefited from this "immunity" as my two moving violations never showed up in the past FOUR YEARS. I don't see how a NY-based broker can be different from an Ohio-based broker.

On another note, any wrong information is wrong information. I got out of a ticket because the officer's hand-writing was too blurry. My friend got out of his ticket because the officer checked the incorrect weather condition. For those who don't agree with me, when was the last time you fought a ticket outside of Canada?

Last edited by Dr. Fob; Apr 11, 2005 at 07:53 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 12:26 AM
Evolved Member

i'm gonna go fight it. My address lists myself in NYC which is 8 hours away from Burlington, Ontario. I passed a car who was suddenly dead stop in the road so I passed him on the shoulder. My car was only a quarter into the shoulder. I'm going to tell the judge that I passed the car to prevent an accident since there was a car in the back of me who was tailgating me.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

so from what I can gather from your post, your violations are in Ohio..

Ohio is NOT in the northeast states bordering ontario and quebec, therefore does not have any recipoical agreements

it has NOTHING TO DO WITH 9/11 privacy concern crap.. get over it

-joe
Old Apr 12, 2005, 06:20 AM
Evolved Member

i'm gonna go fight it. My address lists myself in NYC which is 8 hours away from Burlington, Ontario. I passed a car who was suddenly dead stop in the road so I passed him on the shoulder. My car was only a quarter into the shoulder. I'm going to tell the judge that I passed the car to prevent an accident since there was a car in the back of me who was tailgating me.
But the question is, does your driver's licence list you as living in NYC or in Ontario?

-joe
Old Apr 12, 2005, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

My address lists myself in NYC which is 8 hours away from Burlington, Ontario.
He is a NY state resident, U.S. insured, and was cited in Canada. This is the exact reverse of my situation. I am confident that you'll get out
Old Apr 12, 2005, 09:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sillypuddy
it has NOTHING TO DO WITH 9/11 privacy concern crap.. get over it
Why would I bluff stuff like that? On what grounds do you base your argument? Assumption?

U.S. is paranoid about everything now. Every little thing that connects with another country has been overly protected. I agree that most of this paranoia is crap, but these policies affect everyone living in the country, or entering the country.

Last edited by Dr. Fob; Apr 12, 2005 at 09:18 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

driving is not a right.. it's a priviledge..

like i said, if you are in Ohio, it's a totally different situation than if you are in the NE states / provinances..

there is, and there always will be the recipiocal agreements.. it's meant to prevent people from cheating the system by having a different state licence and to collect fines that are dude

you ask me for proof.. where is your proof that this is linked to the Patriot Act? I doubt that Mr. Bush was concern about your insurance rates. For $10 you can pretty much get ANYBODY's driving abstract in the states and canada anyways.... so there is no privacy there to begin with.. want privacy? don't drive..

-joe
Old Apr 12, 2005, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

http://www.magma.ca/~fyst/fystfaq.htm

Q: Does Ontario have reciprocal agreement with other provinces and the U.S. i.e. if I am an Ontario resident but received a speeding ticket in another province/the U.S., will the ticket be reported back to Ontario?

A: All provinces in Canada have reciprocal agreement with Ontario. The following states in the U.S. also have reciprocal agreement with Ontario: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming, District of Columbia (41 states).

Q: I have received a speeding ticket in X state/province, and I live in Y state/province. Will the ticket/points get transferred?

A: I can't possibly know all the laws from 50 states and 10 provinces in North America, so the best place to find out is to go to your local library, and look up the laws about this topic. The most likely one is called "Motor Vehicle Code" or something similar. Find the section which talks about reciprocal agreements with other states/provinces. Even if you got a ticket from a state where no reciprocal agreement exists between your home state, you should not just ignore the ticket unless you never plan to visit that state in the future. An ignored moving violation can generate a bench warrant for your arrest. If you are pulled over for any reason in that state later, you could spend some time in handcuffs and in behind bars at the worst possible time (say when you are on vacation). Next time you go there, let a friend drive or just take a plane.
http://www.canlii.org/on/laws/regu/1...211/whole.html

Subsection 198 (1) of the Act extends and applies to judgments rendered and become final against residents of Ontario by any court of competent jurisdiction in the following states:

1. Alabama

2. Arizona

3. Arkansas

4. Colorado

5. Connecticut

6. Delaware

7. Idaho

8. Illinois

9. Indiana

10. Iowa

11. Kansas

12. Kentucky