Notices

keeeping an american vehicle in canada...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2007, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
keeeping an american vehicle in canada...

hey,

ive called transport canada like 10 times and they wont pick up, ive left a msg and e-mailed and they wont reply (how rude!!)

n e who, i thought i would ask u people (ladies and gentlemen)

say i had a vehicle (like an evo 8 for example) w/ american plates, and it was up here in canada crusin around, doin its thing, obeying our canadian laws

how long can it be up here b4 the border has an issue and other ppl, etc...

...i think u know what im getting at

im hoping 6 months or so, and if u could tell me where i can find documentation on this, im trying to make a proposol to my aunt....

THANK U SOOOOOOO MUCH!!!

TERRY
Old Apr 2, 2007, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Province to province is 3 months, I assume US to Canada is the same. Then you have to register in your province you reside currently, as the Evo wouldn't be able to be registered they could possibly deport your car. Would they actually catch on, probably not in the near future. May run into problems down the road though. You would be trackable from your border crossing(s) just to keep that in mind too. Might be easier just to get an Evo and registering it as a Ralliart, etc somehow.

Last edited by Mitsubishiholic; Apr 2, 2007 at 08:55 AM.
Old Apr 15, 2007, 10:15 PM

Looked into this also, if anyone reports your car plates to the EPD they will contact your insurance company down in the states and there will be serious reprocussions with your aunt in Las Vegas.

Secondly, if you get into an accident your aunt's insurance will raise and you will get nothing because of the location of the crash (given that you aren't technically living in the states, nor was your aunt driving).

The only legit way to do it through this process is to try applying for a green card, or student visa for America, move your addresses to the US location and apply for insurance that way.

Also if they catch on to you, your car will be deported, and if severe enough they will cut the frame before shipping it back.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tetsugen
Looked into this also, if anyone reports your car plates to the EPD they will contact your insurance company down in the states and there will be serious reprocussions with your aunt in Las Vegas.

Secondly, if you get into an accident your aunt's insurance will raise and you will get nothing because of the location of the crash (given that you aren't technically living in the states, nor was your aunt driving).

The only legit way to do it through this process is to try applying for a green card, or student visa for America, move your addresses to the US location and apply for insurance that way.

Also if they catch on to you, your car will be deported, and if severe enough they will cut the frame before shipping it back.
my aunt has nothing to do w/ this. i will be licensed to ME, the car will be registered and insured to ME. I will be a resident of LV and the car is only up here for like 4 months and back to LV
Old Apr 16, 2007, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

i had to go to customs at the border... and aquire a 2-year, student visa... its a pain!! that or it was drive back across the border every 3 months...
Old Apr 16, 2007, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DSMorBUST
i had to go to customs at the border... and aquire a 2-year, student visa... its a pain!! that or it was drive back across the border every 3 months...
ya i dont wanna keep it here, jus want it here for the summer...
Old Apr 16, 2007, 01:39 PM
Evolving Member

I think your max is 3 months at a time..... even when crossing over the border it was a red flag for my car when I went to go for a weekend in Montreal. They warned me actually that the car cannot stay too long, and I said I'd be there for a weekend only. Guess they've had a lot of evo's crossing from East coast to Montreal .

One interesting fact we stumbled upon the other day. If you get a JDM Evo7 (which there are a few here in the states.. my friend having one). Then it isn't listed as an exempt vehicle (only 2003 and up Evo lancers) then you may be okay.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rice_rocket88
I think your max is 3 months at a time..... even when crossing over the border it was a red flag for my car when I went to go for a weekend in Montreal. They warned me actually that the car cannot stay too long, and I said I'd be there for a weekend only. Guess they've had a lot of evo's crossing from East coast to Montreal .

One interesting fact we stumbled upon the other day. If you get a JDM Evo7 (which there are a few here in the states.. my friend having one). Then it isn't listed as an exempt vehicle (only 2003 and up Evo lancers) then you may be okay.
thanks...see thats good information
Old Apr 16, 2007, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

No problem.. just remember.. Oilers Suck, Flames rule!
Old Apr 16, 2007, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

No problem.. just remember.. Oilers Suck, Flames rule!
lol currently yes!! if this was last year, i would beg to differ hahaha

so r u from canada and live in the states?
Old Apr 16, 2007, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

Yes, born and raised in Calgary.. been in Boston for 7-8 years now.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, born and raised in Calgary.. been in Boston for 7-8 years now.
oh really? see u did what i wanna do... what do u do there... how'd u manage to get a green card?
Old Apr 16, 2007, 05:33 PM
Evolving Member

Haha I work in Flow Cytometry... biotech/scientist. Now TN visas and H1-B visas for Canadians are all too easy to get. Check into it.. it's much easier to work here than you think, no need for a green card.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

really?? wow...

btw, u sound crazy smart
Old Apr 16, 2007, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Something tells me this isn't as easy as it seems otherwise people would already be doing it. As I told you over at mitsunation, check with everyone you can before you even think about thinking about doing this. That means insurance, transport Canada, the police, immigration, whoever might be involved.

Quick Reply: keeeping an american vehicle in canada...