Notices
View Poll Results: Which one should I do?
Engine Swap
75.00%
Suspension, Interior, Brake, Wheel, Exterior Upgrades
25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

What do you guys think?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2003, 10:16 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you guys think?

Hey I was just wondering everyone's opinion on what step to take next with my lancer....I mentioned the Engine swap thing, but then I realized I might not have all the who-ha to back up the engine and the power it'll put out...here's my dilemna:

Spend my money on the Swap and have a totally sick engine, but weak suspension, traction, and have chassis issues....

OR

Spend my money on better suspension (JIC Coilovers), Strut bars and swap bars, perches, LSD and change from my heavier RH Evo C2's to some lighter 5Zigen FNOR1 or Volk TE-37's with my existing Toyo's and add some Bride, Sparco or Recaro seats to complete my interior, as well as a CF trunk and Evo 8 wing and the Willwood Big Brake Kit and an Evo 7 hood and bumper.

I added both options up and believe it or not they come out to the same price, but they involve sacrificing power or handling.

Here's my reasoning for thinking about the handling......

My Tein's right now are decent, but unfortunately the one in the rear driver-side sags a bit. I mentioned this to Crash before and we both brushed it off...but then when I drove my brother to Ottawa I noticed that the tire was rubbing every time I hit a bump going fast, because of the weight in the car....so on a track weight-shift would probably cause that as well. Anyways after I got back I measured the hub to fender distance and the driver-side is lower than the passenger side in the rear by quite a few CM's, tein said they'd replace it, but honestly why not just have them replace the springs....I can sell them and just get coilovers so I don't have to worry about height.

Rims I thought about ever since I started getting pulled over and how long it takes to clean every single spoke and what they'd be like on the track...so I thought about getting some gunmetal or bronze light-weight 5 or 6 spoke rims....the 5zigen becketts or Volks.

I have nothing but the stock sway bar so the strut and sway bars as well as perches are natural.

LSD will reduce traction issues.

The seats will honestly complete my interior because I'm doing nothing else, the regular stuff is done and i'm happy with the stock indash 6cd.

The wing and cf trunk will just make it more badass, especially if I can find a ralliart grill or switch it to an Evo 7 front.

Bigger Brakes are mois buenos....I notice pad fade alot on the OZ car in general....

Your Thoughts?
Old Sep 13, 2003, 02:57 PM
Evolving Member

buy the engine first as it will take a few months to get here and in the meantime work on the rest of the parts.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

well Jeff you know my stance on this! but i thought i'd vote anyway and surprisingly pushed the vote to 100% engine!!!! hehe not hard with only my vote in the running
Old Sep 15, 2003, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

What engine will you be swapping, becuase if your even thinking about a 4G63, well it would just be cheaper in the long run to buy an EVO.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

and if u do swap an engine, u arent really sacrificing the handling..it's just that u can take the car to its limits now

a good idea would be engine swap then adding and LSD. LSD with stock engine shouldnt help all too much.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 07:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I say go for the handling now and do the engine later. You can have all the power in the world, but without the handling to back it up its usless.
Old Sep 16, 2003, 09:25 AM
Account Disabled

Originally posted by Tristar Racing
What engine will you be swapping, becuase if your even thinking about a 4G63, well it would just be cheaper in the long run to buy an EVO.
6A12/6A13 Mivec Hybrid....it drops right in
Old Sep 29, 2003, 05:02 PM
Evolving Member

shoehorns in!!!
Old Sep 29, 2003, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

OK, seriously, I want to see pictures of this engine fully working in a 2002-2003 US Lancer or similar year JDM Cedia. Fully working, and not in a Mirage........

Last edited by Tristar; Sep 29, 2003 at 05:12 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 05:17 PM
Evolving Member

here's one in a lancer!!
Attached Thumbnails What do you guys think?-6a122.jpg  
Old Sep 29, 2003, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

No, thats why I said no Mirage pictures, that is not a Lancer/Cedia. Look at the radiator cross member, look how the strut towers are not integrated into the firewall, etc...

Plus that engine is far from running in that car.......

Look Im not trying to prove anyone wrong here, I just find it odd how this has never been mentioned before it was brought up from the Canadian crew......
Old Sep 30, 2003, 09:19 AM
Account Disabled

MAYBE because everyone in the US is hell bent on using RRM for power mods and haven't found www.rpw.com.au?
Old Sep 30, 2003, 07:54 PM
Evolving Member

yeah man, rpw has had it on their site as the #1 pick for engine swaps since i registered on this forum which was around mid march of this year, so it's not like it has never been heard of before. i saw it there when i was thinking of how hard it would be to do the 4g63 swap, which turned out to be ****ty.

btw, sorry dude i thought the pic was of the aussie lancer didn't know it was a mirage. my bad
Old Oct 1, 2003, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Most of us educated Lancer owners know about RPW. Second, I still have not seen this V-6 in a Lancer. Third, I_Love_Spool, you have to one of the most annoying posters on these boards. You act like you know it all, when quite frankly, you dont. You come with this wealth of "Lancer knowledge" when Canada has had the car for only what, maybe 6 months? Like I said, show me a Lancer/Cedia with that engine in the car, running, and Ill pipe down. Oh yea, I want to see how much fab work was done for the swap too. No way is this just a "drop in" engine......

As for RRM over RPW, both companies have good products, its just a hell of alot easier to get a hold of Rob and ask product info than it is Dave.....
Old Oct 1, 2003, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

I've been wanting to go with the dual TB for a while now, but don't want to call AUS to talk for a few about it and pay tons of $$. I love the stuff RPW has, I just wish they were more accessible.
TRISTAR IS ON A CONQUEST to put the know it alls in their place...first Boe and now Spool...who's next on your list?

Quick Reply: What do you guys think?