Notices

Are Drive-thru Car washes safe?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2009, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if your worried about rails just hop out of your car and take a look. they all have nice big windows so you can see the equipment inside b4 you actually purchase a wash. all of the sunoco stations ive seen, have had the stupid rails. I made a mistake of going through one of those worst thing i ever did
Old Jan 16, 2009, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
They are very dangerous, they will kill you and your family

I have never been through one with a fixed antenna or a wing, but on my DD and my old DD and several other cars, I used them every once in a while. Make sure it is one that uses filtered water, or you will get spots and buildup. Remove your antenna too
Old Jan 16, 2009, 03:15 PM
Account Disabled

drive Through car washes are the best. 5th gear had an episode on Hand car wash, at home hand car wash and drive through. The best one is Drive through. You can find the video on streetfire.net Search for the new season of 5th gear you will see it there.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 08:52 PM
Evolving Member

touchless is fine but if you use those brush ones or even the diy coin-op you'll noticed scratches almost right away.

These lancers have the worst paints jobs I've ever seen...
Old Jan 17, 2009, 07:16 AM
cih

I used a Petro-Canada drive thru Soft Cloth carwash for the first time in 5 and a half years on my lancer. I've been paranoid with using them, hearing horror stories of things falling off cars and stuff all this time. The thing is.. they're really not bad at all.

When its - 25 out i really dont care to be out doing it myself.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 12:59 PM

are touchless car was ok with our INJEN CAI even with hydroshield? Let me know coz i really want to wash the underbody of my car. Haven't done it since winter snow started.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 01:06 PM
Evolving Member

If have an Injen CAI with Hydroshield with no problems in carwash touchless. Note that I have a 2006 RA and my Injen goes right behing the driver's foglight.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 01:29 PM
Evolving Member

what if .... u dont have a hydroshield on an Injen CAI, would it suck some water?
i guess Injen SRI should be ok from sucking water, right?

touchless carwash like the one on ESSO is ok, it doesnt clean ur car very well, but i only go there just to wash off the salt under the body of the car.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 04:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sway311
what if .... u dont have a hydroshield on an Injen CAI, would it suck some water?
i guess Injen SRI should be ok from sucking water, right?

touchless carwash like the one on ESSO is ok, it doesnt clean ur car very well, but i only go there just to wash off the salt under the body of the car.
SRI won't suck the water...you suck inside your engine bay and there shouldn't be any water in there.

For the hydroshield, it depends where your CAI filter is located. Mine is located in the back of a foglight and water doesn't go there a lot. But some CAI filter have a more "water friendly" location. You should check the location first. But an hydroshield is always a good thing to have IMO.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 06:38 PM
cih

You can always turn your car off and coast in Neutral if you want to keep on the safe side. (for people with Cold Air Intakes)
Old Jan 17, 2009, 08:36 PM

the only way your going to suck water up ypour CAI is if you rev the hell out of it, otherwise dont worry
Old Jan 18, 2009, 10:27 AM

I'm taking my car through a wash tomorrow. I hope my broken bumper doesn't fly off guess we'll see!!
Old Jan 18, 2009, 01:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cih
When its - 25 out i really dont care to be out doing it myself.

I wouldn't even consider washing my car at those temperatures...way too cold to get your car all wet.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 01:48 PM

Ya I washed my car just to try to get the snow unwedged from my front end but all the water just froze to it ...
Old Jan 19, 2009, 12:23 AM
Evolving Member

$10 handwash @ fine details FTW! might be $15 for u guys...i get a special rate cuz i used to work there back in the day and thats the only place i get my car washed, unless i wash it myself....def not in the winter time though! haha

Quick Reply: Are Drive-thru Car washes safe?