Notices

Caution brampton mitsubishi

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2009, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Caution brampton mitsubishi

Really long read but important thanks for taking the time to read it guys

Just wanted to tell you guys my experience at Brampton Mitsubishi. I've been going to them for my regular oil changes and maintenace ever since I got my car which I purchased from Cooksville in 2005, I drive a 2005 Lancer Ralliart. So you can say I'm a loyal customer there since I haven't taken my car anywhere else.

So my tranny started making some really loud noise like a whirring noise, but when I push the clutch pedal down(disengage the clutch) the noise goes away but when I take my foot off the pedal(engage the clutch) the noise comes back this is in neutral by the way. So I started googling and researching on these forums about what the problem might be, and I found that a lot of people were saying it was the throwout bearing(release bearing same thing). And a couple people were saying it was the input shaft bearing stating that if it was the throwout bearing the sound would always be there didn't matter if the clutch was engaged or not. I'm not a mechanic so I just went with what most people were saying thinking it was the throwout bearing.

So I dropped the car off on my way to work at the Brampton dealership and told them my tranny was making noise and I think its the throwout bearing and asked them if it was under warranty, and they said yes but they would have to look into it so I said thats fine. I get a call about an hour later at work and they told me the mechanic took a look at it for like 2 minutes and knew exactly what it was because its common in me vehicle and happens all the time. They told me that it was my clutch that was making the noise and that I would have to replace the clutch. I asked them if they were sure because my clutch seems fine and it wasn't slipping at all. They replied yes they're sure because its a common problem in my car. And they told me that they wouldn't charge me for the diagnostic(90/hr) because it only took the mechainc 2mins to figure it out.

I then called my friend who is a licensed mechanic at Nissan and told him my situation and without even looking at my car he told me it was the input shaft bearing. He told me to talk to the service mananger and ask him what part of the clutch is making that noise telling me that he wouldn't have an answer for me because it wasnt the clutch. So I called and told him that my friend at Nissan told me it was the input shaft bearing can you check it out? He replied in the rudest tone "so you want to take your car to Nissan now?" I said no I just wanted them to rule out input shaft bearing, and told me he was sure that it was the clutch and it happens all the time in my car. So I asked him what part of the clutch is making that noise, he tells me to hang on and he'll call me back. 30 mins later I get a call and he tells me its the pressure plate and clutch cover making the nosie and said if I didn't believe him he can have the mechanic take my tranny apart to confirm and charge me 4-5 hours labour. I said its ok I'll just take my car back and he also metioned how they weren't even charging me for the diagnostic of the clutch. They quoted me over $1700+taxes to replace the clutch and machine the flywheel.

I then called around to transmission shops and asked them what they think it might be and they all said its definitely not the clutch and it sounds like either the throwout bearing or input shaft bearing. I even took it to Mister Transmission and the mechanic there test drove it and told me that it was one of those bearings.

A couple days later I took it into Dixie Mitsubishi and told them about the tranny noise but didn't say anything about what Brampton told me, also didn't say what I thought it was. They call me back after they checked it out and told me that it was the input shaft bearing and they already ordered the part and it would be in by the end of the week. I asked them if it was covered under warranty and they said yes, and also recommended me to replace the clutch since they were going to drop the tranny anyways and would just charge me an hour to put it in. So I agreed, now I have a new clutch, no tranny noise and only paid $400 oem clutch $96 labour $30 tranny fluid + taxes came up to about $600 and my car drives like new

Sorry for the long read but felt I had to post this so that people would be more careful and not just shell out a couple grand. This is just my experience and I am not telling you guys not to go to Brampton Mitusbishi, just saying be careful.

Edit: Copy of invoices

Brampton Mitsubishi

Dixie Mitsubishi

Last edited by QuanVN; Aug 6, 2009 at 10:46 AM. Reason: pics
Old Aug 6, 2009, 07:20 AM
Evolving Member

nice!
dixie mitsubishi is one of our toronto lancer club perfered dealerships too glad to hear a good honest story from them !!

and glad we dropped brampton from that list

hydrolikz had his camber kit stolen and 'misplaced' by brampton mitsubishi
Old Aug 6, 2009, 07:35 AM

Woooow. Crooks. Always why yu have to get second opinions or third opinions like when going to the doctor. Good going on not shelling out....many others would have fallen victim.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 07:38 AM

yeah especailly when they were telling me that it was a common problem on my car and it happens all the time, I just hope the people that went there before me for the same problem didn't fall for that line
Old Aug 6, 2009, 08:01 AM

I've had similar problems with stealerships in my area, where the employees/managers think they know everything about a car without properly diagnosing a problem. I've been in disputes about repairs and they are no fun, especially when service managers who know nothing about cars try to convince you that they have the best mechanic working on your car and they are always right !
Old Aug 6, 2009, 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

Brampton seems to have hit and misses. I get my oil changes done there because its the close to me and the service guy is really nice, but for warranty work i try stay clear and go to K-W mitsubishi in Kitchener, close to work.

I needed a new sirius module and they rushed it in overnight and had it in the next day. I didnt even pay the diagnostic fee .
Old Aug 6, 2009, 09:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have the invoice that showed the diagnosis from brampton Mitsubishi?
Originally Posted by QuanVN
Really long read but important thanks for taking the time to read it guys

Just wanted to tell you guys my experience at Brampton Mitsubishi. I've been going to them for my regular oil changes and maintenace ever since I got my car which I purchased from Cooksville in 2005, I drive a 2005 Lancer Ralliart. So you can say I'm a loyal customer there since I haven't taken my car anywhere else.

So my tranny started making some really loud noise like a whirring noise, but when I push the clutch pedal down(disengage the clutch) the noise goes away but when I take my foot off the pedal(engage the clutch) the noise comes back this is in neutral by the way. So I started googling and researching on these forums about what the problem might be, and I found that a lot of people were saying it was the throwout bearing(release bearing same thing). And a couple people were saying it was the input shaft bearing stating that if it was the throwout bearing the sound would always be there didn't matter if the clutch was engaged or not. I'm not a mechanic so I just went with what most people were saying thinking it was the throwout bearing.

So I dropped the car off on my way to work at the Brampton dealership and told them my tranny was making noise and I think its the throwout bearing and asked them if it was under warranty, and they said yes but they would have to look into it so I said thats fine. I get a call about an hour later at work and they told me the mechanic took a look at it for like 2 minutes and knew exactly what it was because its common in me vehicle and happens all the time. They told me that it was my clutch that was making the noise and that I would have to replace the clutch. I asked them if they were sure because my clutch seems fine and it wasn't slipping at all. They replied yes they're sure because its a common problem in my car. And they told me that they wouldn't charge me for the diagnostic(90/hr) because it only took the mechainc 2mins to figure it out.

I then called my friend who is a licensed mechanic at Nissan and told him my situation and without even looking at my car he told me it was the input shaft bearing. He told me to talk to the service mananger and ask him what part of the clutch is making that noise telling me that he wouldn't have an answer for me because it wasnt the clutch. So I called and told him that my friend at Nissan told me it was the input shaft bearing can you check it out? He replied in the rudest tone "so you want to take your car to Nissan now?" I said no I just wanted them to rule out input shaft bearing, and told me he was sure that it was the clutch and it happens all the time in my car. So I asked him what part of the clutch is making that noise, he tells me to hang on and he'll call me back. 30 mins later I get a call and he tells me its the pressure plate and clutch cover making the nosie and said if I didn't believe him he can have the mechanic take my tranny apart to confirm and charge me 4-5 hours labour. I said its ok I'll just take my car back and he also metioned how they weren't even charging me for the diagnostic of the clutch. They quoted me over $1700+taxes to replace the clutch and machine the flywheel.

I then called around to transmission shops and asked them what they think it might be and they all said its definitely not the clutch and it sounds like either the throwout bearing or input shaft bearing. I even took it to Mister Transmission and the mechanic there test drove it and told me that it was one of those bearings.

A couple days later I took it into Dixie Mitsubishi and told them about the tranny noise but didn't say anything about what Brampton told me, also didn't say what I thought it was. They call me back after they checked it out and told me that it was the input shaft bearing and they already ordered the part and it would be in by the end of the week. I asked them if it was covered under warranty and they said yes, and also recommended me to replace the clutch since they were going to drop the tranny anyways and would just charge me an hour to put it in. So I agreed, now I have a new clutch, no tranny noise and only paid $400 oem clutch $96 labour $30 tranny fluid + taxes came up to about $600 and my car drives like new

Sorry for the long read but felt I had to post this so that people would be more careful and not just shell out a couple grand. This is just my experience and I am not telling you guys not to go to Brampton Mitusbishi, just saying be careful.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 10:00 AM

Yes, I do
Old Aug 6, 2009, 10:58 AM

I had that problem same thing but I just lube up my bearing and now np
Old Aug 6, 2009, 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

Yup, i've had problems with Brampton Mitsubishi.

I don't really recommend them. I go to Dixie now.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

well the stealerships have to make money some how. I'm sure that somebody would have fallen for that scenerio.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by aj_pierce
well the stealerships have to make money some how. I'm sure that somebody would have fallen for that scenerio.
That is what angers me, because someone probably did fall for it and paid 2 grand to get it fixed when it should've been done under warranty. That is why I had to post this story hopefully word gets around so that people would look into it more before paying up.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 03:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am requesting that this thread be moved to the Canadian section *merged...

The club has a program in place for rating and reviewing all gta dealerships and when that is in place... everyone will be encouraged to interact there. in the mean time.. this thread wil be moved to the Canadian section. if it makes the threads messy I apologize
Old Aug 6, 2009, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by RUBBERDUCKEY
I had that problem same thing but I just lube up my bearing and now np
Can you elaborate, because I don't get how you did that. I think you have to take apart the tranny to do that.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 05:37 PM

I would have gone back to Brampton and rub it deep how dumb they are. Sadly people working for dealers like that put a cloud over the reputation of the brand, word of mouth can make or break you when you're running a business.

Quick Reply: Caution brampton mitsubishi