Notices

Programable Plasma Ignition

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2012, 11:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Programable Plasma Ignition

Hey all,

Some of you may know me from my car it is the first 2004-2006 Ralliart to have the ecu reflashed. Then it was turbo over to a supercharger and now back to turbo (long story)

I have been working with a company spdi-spark, it is a tunable plasma ignition system. One of our test cars is a 08 Lancer GTS 2.4 4b12 CVT trans. It has the WORKS tune and now this ignition system. So far we have been tuning the spark for fuel mileage only at to this point and here are the numbers thus far:

40km/h --> 6.5 L 36mph 36mpg
60km/h --> 6.6 L 27mph 36mpg
80km/h --> 6.1 L 50mpg 36mpg
100km/h --> 6.8 L 62mph 33mpg
120km/h --> 8.2L 74mph 29mpg (hope my conversions are close)

As some of you know our winters suck! and these numbers were done in -32 Celsius that's about -25 Fahrenheit in other words freaking cold! meaning fuel numbers will be a lot higher in cold weather than they are in warmer weather.
The next stage of testing is to see what power we can get out of the engine with this system. A Plasma spark will ignite the mixture faster and burn more complete allowing us to push what is considered normal tuning. We should be able to advance the timing and pull fuel so now it a matter of testing this theory.

Anyone interested go to the website spdispark.com for more info and stay tuned for updates.

FYI we will be doing kits for the EVO8-9 and X, 09+Ralliart and pre 09 Ralliart