Notices

Cobb Accessport Problem

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2009, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cobb Accessport Problem

I just got my Accessport and it won't power on when plugged into the car. I plugged it into the computer and made sure the firmware was up to date. I also made sure I had the current version of the maps. It updated the OBD dongle fine.

When I plug it into the car though nothing happens. Key off, on, car running. It just doesn't come on. I had an extra mini-usb cable laying around so I plugged it into a laptop to power it up. With the laptop powering the Accessport while it was plugged into the car I was able to link up with the car. I downloaded the stock map and applied an aftermarket map. So everything seems to work OK as long as the Accessport has an external power source.

It shouldn't have to be this way according to the manual. Am I missing something here?
Old Feb 14, 2009, 02:36 PM
Evolving Member

Missing nothing, it should power up once plugged in. I'd call Cobb Monday.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 03:07 PM

Yeah, I'm planning on giving them a call. Was hoping someone may have seen this before. I have checked some fuses, everything seems fine, unless the OBD port shares power with something else that I don't know.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 08:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xkaupx
I just got my Accessport and it won't power on when plugged into the car. I plugged it into the computer and made sure the firmware was up to date. I also made sure I had the current version of the maps. It updated the OBD dongle fine.

When I plug it into the car though nothing happens. Key off, on, car running. It just doesn't come on. I had an extra mini-usb cable laying around so I plugged it into a laptop to power it up. With the laptop powering the Accessport while it was plugged into the car I was able to link up with the car. I downloaded the stock map and applied an aftermarket map. So everything seems to work OK as long as the Accessport has an external power source.

It shouldn't have to be this way according to the manual. Am I missing something here?
Give us a call on Monday, we'll take care of you.

Thanks,
Rob
Old Feb 16, 2009, 08:29 AM

Just got off the phone with Cobb Tuning. Looks like my OBD dongle is bad. They are shipping me out a new one. I'm glad it isn't a problem with the car itself.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 03:55 PM
Evolving Member

that is great support!
Old Feb 21, 2009, 04:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by xkaupx

Mine did something similar So I sent into Cobb and they fixed it they said the OBD DOngle was broken the prongs weren't contacting the the OBD from the car.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 04:53 PM

I got the new dongle and it was the same situation. They are sending a third one, hopefully that fixes it.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 08:42 PM
Evolving Member

I just recieved my Cobb AP today and when I went to load it up to my car I had the same exact problem. It will not power on when plugged into the car. I did the firmware updates online and it worked fine when plugged into my computer.

I then tried the same exact thing of powering it with my computer and plugging it into the OBDII port and it still would not work. It said it needed to update the Dongle firmware. I hit ok and it took about 10 seconds and then instructed me to unplug it and plug it back in. Once I did that it said I still needed to update the dongle firmware and it would repeat the same process.

I guess I will have to contact Cobb about this unless they respond to this post or send me a PM about it. Keep us updated if they figure out your problem.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 05:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Stellar24
I just recieved my Cobb AP today and when I went to load it up to my car I had the same exact problem. It will not power on when plugged into the car. I did the firmware updates online and it worked fine when plugged into my computer.

I then tried the same exact thing of powering it with my computer and plugging it into the OBDII port and it still would not work. It said it needed to update the Dongle firmware. I hit ok and it took about 10 seconds and then instructed me to unplug it and plug it back in. Once I did that it said I still needed to update the dongle firmware and it would repeat the same process.

I guess I will have to contact Cobb about this unless they respond to this post or send me a PM about it. Keep us updated if they figure out your problem.
Just about the same thing happened to me yesterday morning when I was downloading the Cobb Stage 1 map.

I first downloaded all the drivers and such on my laptop, I then checked to see if the AccessPORT had the most updated firmware (which it said it did), then it was off to the Evo.

The unit would power up fine when plugged into the cars OBD port, but twice it displayed that my dongle firmware was not up to date, and that I had to unplug the dongle from the OBD port. The third time was the charm though...got the map downloaded finally...and in record speed (about a minute or so to import the stock map, and about 1 minute to download the Cobb Stage 1 map).

Last edited by DarwinX; Feb 22, 2009 at 06:08 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 11:08 AM

Yeah, the dongle goes through 2 power cycles to get the firmware updated. You update it once, unplug it, update it again, unplug it, then it is ready to go. For me however, I have to have a power source plugged into the mini-usb on the Accessport for it to work in the car.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

I just tried everything again and still no luck. I did get the dongle firmware update to complete by pluging and unpluging the dongle 3 times to get through the update steps. However, it still will not power on with the car and it says it cannot make communication with the ecu when i used the computer to power the AP. From what you guys have said, I think I am the only one who has not been able to establish a connection with the ECU. Also, I noticed that the dongle starts to heat up with I have it plugged in. I dont know if this is normal or proof that there is somethign wrong with the dongle. I sure hope to get this figured out soon.

Keep us updated if any of you guys find the solution.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 01:45 PM

Mine never gets noticeably warm when it's plugged into the car. There might definitely be something wrong with your OBD dongle. When I talked with Cobb support they didn't seem surprised that the dongle was bad. With 2 bad ones in a row I suspect the car, but they assured me it is the dongle and are sending me another.

With something else powering the Accessport, it behaves just like the instructions described. You still have to turn the key to on to install. If yours doesn't have a good connection I wouldn't go too far. If it were to loose connection half-way through flashing it could cause trouble.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 03:43 PM
Evolving Member

this sounds like a common problem hopefully they get this fixed.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 09:04 PM

OK, I got my 3rd dongle and it works! Problem solved. So it was the dongle all along in my case. I can't believe my luck was bad enough that I would get 2 bad ones in a row, but it all worked out.

They said they would test this one before shipping it out to make sure it worked. That must have been the case since I didn't have to update the firmware on it.

Quick Reply: Cobb Accessport Problem