Notices

GSR 2014 cobb AP tune

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2014, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GSR 2014 cobb AP tune

Hello everyone, this is my second evo and just bough the Cobb AP. I'm really worried now because I read that Cobb doesn't have a specific map for the 2014 GSR which according to my dealer tech, has slight differences in the tune than older models. I can agree with him simply because my old 08' evo on stock tune made significant more power and wasn't as rich as my '14 model.

I need to know from Cobb if it is safe to use the AP on the 2014 model (after doing the mitsubishi ECU tune recall for the relay at the dealer). If it is safe, which stage should I use?

I'm running Injen intake and UICP so far on stock tune and no issues, just that I hate the stock rich tune. Car has 4k miles.

should I do stage 1? and re-cal for intake?
or jump to stage 2 or 3?

If there is no current map for the 2014 I might as well just return the AP.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by dleon
Hello everyone, this is my second evo and just bough the Cobb AP. I'm really worried now because I read that Cobb doesn't have a specific map for the 2014 GSR which according to my dealer tech, has slight differences in the tune than older models. I can agree with him simply because my old 08' evo on stock tune made significant more power and wasn't as rich as my '14 model.

I need to know from Cobb if it is safe to use the AP on the 2014 model (after doing the mitsubishi ECU tune recall for the relay at the dealer). If it is safe, which stage should I use?

I'm running Injen intake and UICP so far on stock tune and no issues, just that I hate the stock rich tune. Car has 4k miles.

should I do stage 1? and re-cal for intake?
or jump to stage 2 or 3?

If there is no current map for the 2014 I might as well just return the AP.
They do have maps now specified for the 2014, when you do yours you might consider downloading the race tuner so you can grab the specific numbers for the injen which might help.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 08:54 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 2013 and 2014 Evo's are identical as far as the tune is concerned. Our standard OTS Stage 1 map with the correct adjustments made for the Injen intake you are running should work well on the car.

-Eric
Old Mar 28, 2014, 10:33 AM

thank you Erick!
Old Mar 28, 2014, 03:41 PM

thank you Erick!
Your welcome i guess
Old Mar 29, 2014, 08:04 AM

thank you too man!
Old Mar 31, 2014, 10:54 AM

Just a quick update for anyone interested. Installed the COBB AP this weekend and wow, huge difference. The car runs better! Very very fast and strong at every rpm. I think the evo stock tune is too rich, and this stage 1 by Cobb really makes the difference. It now feels like a sports car!

If you dont have one yet, go get one, best mod ever! ty Cobb, hope you keep updating maps on your site.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:34 AM

Just a quick update for anyone interested. Installed the COBB AP this weekend and wow, huge difference. The car runs better! Very very fast and strong at every rpm. I think the evo stock tune is too rich, and this stage 1 by Cobb really makes the difference. It now feels like a sports car!
I just installed mine yesterday i dont really feel a difference. I felt my car used to hit harder when it come into boost and now its just steady all the way it seems idk. In what ways does it feel faster to you?
Old Apr 4, 2014, 11:17 AM

I just flashed stage 1 as well at stock. Only feel a slight improvement but that's expected. I'll be adding an intake, test pipe, 3port, forge bpv, and uicp next week and going with the stage 3 OTS for a short time before a pro tune. I know from past experience nothing compares to a proper tune but the OTS maps aren't bad.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 03:55 PM

id say go to a cobb pro tuner (they're everywhere) that has a dyno and get a custom map made for the AP
Old Apr 8, 2014, 01:18 PM

Well, it depends what you were expecting from your AP dbreeze223 . I had a pretty clear understanding of what I should expect. The AP is very good for guys like me who just want to get rid of the rich stock map and have some power gains, until I actually get more mods and get a Pro tune. Its a very good tool to have specially since you can uninstall before going into the dealership, but you cannot expect it to be as good as a pro tune.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 08:30 AM

Well, it depends what you were expecting from your AP dbreeze223 . I had a pretty clear understanding of what I should expect. The AP is very good for guys like me who just want to get rid of the rich stock map and have some power gains, until I actually get more mods and get a Pro tune. Its a very good tool to have specially since you can uninstall before going into the dealership, but you cannot expect it to be as good as a pro tune.
Ya i completely understand, i just hear all of these people say "wow the cobb ap really woke up my car" or somthing like that when i really couldn't tell, but i have not done any performance mods yet so its ok.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 05:28 AM

oh, I see. Well I would recommend intake to start off. I'm planning on going all the way through stage 3 mods by COBB since I already have map for those and don't have to spend on a pro tuner for now. Then I will do cams, pump, FMIC and pro tune. I still want to be tuned by COBB so that I can keep my AP.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 03:33 PM

oh, I see. Well I would recommend intake to start off. I'm planning on going all the way through stage 3 mods by COBB since I already have map for those and don't have to spend on a pro tuner for now. Then I will do cams, pump, FMIC and pro tune. I still want to be tuned by COBB so that I can keep my AP.
you dont have to buy cobb parts just to use the ots maps its all relative as long as diameters of pipes and amount of flow remain the same. the only thing would be the 3 port maybe but that is only because i dont know how the computer operates it i plan to go full ets with the exception of their exhaust because i havent determined the sound i want
Old Apr 11, 2014, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by dbreeze223
you dont have to buy cobb parts just to use the ots maps its all relative as long as diameters of pipes and amount of flow remain the same. the only thing would be the 3 port maybe but that is only because i dont know how the computer operates it i plan to go full ets with the exception of their exhaust because i havent determined the sound i want
From what I've read the Grimmspeed / Cobb 3-Ports are identical and perform the same. That is to say if you pick up a Grimmspeed and substitute it for a Stage 3 map you'll still be in good shape.

Quick Reply: GSR 2014 cobb AP tune