Notices

High knock sum on stage 3 2014 GSR

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2014, 11:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
High knock sum on stage 3 2014 GSR

Today I did a little logging and was surprised to see a knock count as high as 8 during my third gear pull. It seems to happen around peak boost of 23 psi, which is 3 psi less than target for this map, odd. Then knock tapers down to 6 until redline is reached. If someone could take a look at it to see whats going on I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...5/datalog1.csv
Old Sep 21, 2014, 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It looks like your knocking quite high, are you using 93 Octane map ?
Switch to 91 octane first to stop this knock until you find a better gas station.
If your running a protune map, might need your tuner to dial back your timing setting.
Stick with Mobil Sunoco And Shell Gas, all others pretty ****ty in NY .

Last edited by 3000GT-GTO; Sep 21, 2014 at 07:25 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 06:39 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is a lot of knock, switch to the ACN 91 map and see if the problem continues. You should never see a knock count above 4/5 even with the wrong octane on our OTS maps. Since it continues through the full pull I wonder if it is something mechanically wrong with the car. Have you replaced your fuel pump relay, what are your exact mods, when what the last time you had the car smoke tested?
-Chris
Old Sep 22, 2014, 06:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 3000GT-GTO
It looks like your knocking quite high, are you using 93 Octane map ? Switch to 91 octane first to stop this knock until you find a better gas station. If your running a protune map, might need your tuner to dial back your timing setting. Stick with Mobil Sunoco And Shell Gas, all others pretty ****ty in NY .
Hey thanks for the reply. I'm using the stage 3 93 octane map calibrated for an ETS intake. I'll try switching to the 91 octane map today. I haven't gotten it pro-tuned. I'll stick with those gas stations from now on.
Originally Posted by COBB Tuning
That is a lot of knock, switch to the ACN 91 map and see if the problem continues. You should never see a knock count above 4/5 even with the wrong octane on our OTS maps. Since it continues through the full pull I wonder if it is something mechanically wrong with the car. Have you replaced your fuel pump relay, what are your exact mods, when what the last time you had the car smoke tested? -Chris
Thanks for the advice, Chris. I haven't replaced my fuel pump relay. Could that be the problem? My mods are the exact ones in my signature. Only mods I have that aren't matched to the map are the FMIC and all piping. I've never had it smoke tested.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 07:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BeyondLimitsEvo
Hey thanks for the reply. I'm using the stage 3 93 octane map calibrated for an ETS intake. I'll try switching to the 91 octane map today. I haven't gotten it pro-tuned. I'll stick with those gas stations from now on.

Thanks for the advice, Chris. I haven't replaced my fuel pump relay. Could that be the problem? My mods are the exact ones in my signature. Only mods I have that aren't matched to the map are the FMIC and all piping. I've never had it smoke tested.
It could definitley be causing a super lean condition, check out our guide https://cobbtuning.zendesk.com/hc/en...ay-Replacement
-Chris
Old Sep 22, 2014, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

It could definitley be causing a super lean condition, check out our guide https://cobbtuning.zendesk.com/hc/en...ay-Replacement
-Chris
I went to my local Mitsu dealership today and picked up that exact relay and put it in and did some more logging. It definitely improved the knock problem, but not fully. I made 3 more logs. The first log named datalog3 is a 2nd to 3rd gear pull under wot. The second log named datalog4 is a 3rd to 4th gear pull and the third log named datalog5 is a 5th gear cruise doing 60-65 mph in fifth gear. In the first two logs you'll notice there's no knock over 6 and it seems to occur in the 5000-7000 rpm range. I really don't beat on the car too often, only occasionally. Normal driving seems to yeild no knock whatsoever. It's only under wot in the 5000+ range. Is this ok to drive with or should I think about getting a pro tune? Also, I didn't switch to the 91 map yet. Maybe I'll switch and make a few more logs to see if it helps more. Thanks for your time!
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...5/datalog3.csv
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...5/datalog4.csv
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...5/datalog5.csv
Old Sep 23, 2014, 08:08 AM
Former Sponsor

I went to my local Mitsu dealership today and picked up that exact relay and put it in and did some more logging. It definitely improved the knock problem, but not fully. I made 3 more logs. The first log named datalog3 is a 2nd to 3rd gear pull under wot. The second log named datalog4 is a 3rd to 4th gear pull and the third log named datalog5 is a 5th gear cruise doing 60-65 mph in fifth gear. In the first two logs you'll notice there's no knock over 6 and it seems to occur in the 5000-7000 rpm range. I really don't beat on the car too often, only occasionally. Normal driving seems to yeild no knock whatsoever. It's only under wot in the 5000+ range. Is this ok to drive with or should I think about getting a pro tune? Also, I didn't switch to the 91 map yet. Maybe I'll switch and make a few more logs to see if it helps more. Thanks for your time!
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...5/datalog3.csv
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...5/datalog4.csv
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...5/datalog5.csv
I would recommend switching maps immediately, if you don't see an instant change in your amount of knock go to a pro tuner that can take a look at the car. Having that much knock continuously is going to damage your motor.
-Chris
Old Sep 23, 2014, 04:00 PM
Evolving Member

I would recommend switching maps immediately, if you don't see an instant change in your amount of knock go to a pro tuner that can take a look at the car. Having that much knock continuously is going to damage your motor.
-Chris
Ok so I switched maps today to the stage 3 ACN 91 octane map calibrated for the ETS intake and did a 2nd to 3rd gear pull and saw only a maximum of 1 count of knock. That definitely helped a lot!
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...5/datalog6.csv
Old Sep 23, 2014, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

So it's fuel related?
Old Sep 23, 2014, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

Time for a pro tune.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 06:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Ok so I switched maps today to the stage 3 ACN 91 octane map calibrated for the ETS intake and did a 2nd to 3rd gear pull and saw only a maximum of 1 count of knock. That definitely helped a lot!
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...5/datalog6.csv
Awesome, looks like you have some real low quality gas in your area. I would look into finding a quality station in your area here is a list of top tier fuels, look for a place that is popular so you know you are getting fresh fuel.
-Chris
Old Sep 24, 2014, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

I'm guessing my problem had to be fuel related because it improved slightly when I upgraded my fuel pump relay. Then it was completely fixed when I switched to the Stage 3 91 ACN map. I usually drive until my fuel light comes on then I fill the tank up. I'm pretty sure the last time I filled it with Costco 93 octane. But I sometimes go to Hess or Quik Chek and those two aren't on that list of top tier gas stations, so maybe that was partially the problem. Anyways it's running good now and I'll probably do some more logging in a week or so just to make sure things are still running smoothly. Then a custom AP tune may have to be in order in the near future.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

I'm actually having the same problem here. But i think mine was more intentional, or its been happneing for a while and i just didn't notice. I'm running the stage 2 map with the Dualport BOV,Test pipe, cone filter intake (running the SF cobb map) and turboxs catback. Still on stock downpipe

First the bolts on my test pipe started to come loose. I could hear it get noticeably louder, It eventually got to the point to where both bolts came off between the test pipe and the catback and i was basically running no exhaust after the test pipe. It sounded awesome, made cool popping noises. so i took it out for a night of racing.

I was averaging about 3-4 knocks per dig run (0-120-130 maybe).

Then one run, i missed 3rd and it bounced off the rev a few times, this time i logged 15 knocks!! it freaked me out so i went and turned off the car and babied it the rest of the night. I bolted the test pipe back up the next day, and i feel like its starting to leak air again slowly because its getting a little louder. Could this be causing my knock? i'm ordering a new test pipe because i just don't feel comfortable with it anymore. Every since i bolted it up my knocks have went from 4-5 to 2-4 per trip (home to work about 40 miles round trip)

so i guess my question is, is ANY knock normal for our cars? am i damaging it every time i get a few knocks? What should be considered the norm, and what should i be worried about?

Last edited by Evo10HKS; Sep 25, 2014 at 04:24 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo10HKS
so i guess my question is, is ANY knock normal for our cars? am i damaging it every time i get a few knocks? What should be considered the norm, and what should i be worried about?
Zero (best, but leaves power on the table)
Occasionally 1-2 (safe)
Once in a blue moon 3-4 (likely false or a big bump or clutch release too hard, still alright if not *often*).

Seeing 3 every day (not good, drive it softer until you retune or get better gas, check for leaks, do maintenance, etc...)

Every pull 4 or more (better gas or tune is needed or else major damage will occur if left this way for even a week or more. Seriously, time to act.)

Generally knock at lower RPM isn't as bad as the same number at a higher RPM. (To me, 2 knock at 4000rpm is not as bad as 1 knock at 6500rpm.)

Anything above 10 or more is literally something that would make me park my car and *never* floor it until datalogs are checked and my mechanic notified.

Good luck!
Old Sep 25, 2014, 10:16 PM

Your AFRs in that cruise log averages 10.8. By the sawtooth shape of the AFR log, tells me your car's running in closed loop which targets 14.7. So either your car's messed up or your gauge/ATR is spitting out mis-scaled data (more likely). Now if that 10.8 is actually 14.7, then when your WOT pull logs AFRs around 11.8, what does that say?

Quick Reply: High knock sum on stage 3 2014 GSR