Notices
Discussion / Rumors The rumored Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution XI. .What have you heard? What do you think?

"Evo XI" rumors, speculations, and media reports.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2011 | 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

I didn't read through all 12 pages of this thread but... is it incorrect for being under the impression that the diesel/hybrid platform will be an optional trim for the new platform?? It seems counterintuitive in a business sense to discard the new 4B11 platform as many people have mentioned. This seems like an interesting marketing intitiative by Mitsu.

Also, there are serious diesel powered F1 style race cars out there. Several years ago I remember seeing some McLaren/Mercedes race cars for the 24 hr lemans race that was powered by a diesel engine. I did some searching and found this:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/audis-di...-own-good.html
Old Nov 22, 2011 | 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by njboy
People generally don't like change. There is nothing inherently wrong with using a Diesel in a performance car like the Evo. It will probably have a turbo and the block will probable be aluminum. It will probably be able to run many miles and make lots of low end torque. I bet the transmission will be semi automatic with 7 gears or more. Imagine a high torque low revving engine that stays in it's power band with a fast shifting transmission.
The hybrid part I'd bet will be a KERs system like F1. I guess this since Mitsubishi already has lots of experience with stability control and their system could integrate nicely with motor controls applying braking and torque to individual wheels.
I love the 4g63 and hope to keep my generation Evo for a long time.

With that said Evo stands for evolution/change and I applaud and look forward to the new technology in the next Evo.
Thought about it, imagined it, and then I nearly threw up in my mouth.
Old Nov 22, 2011 | 01:11 PM

"In the U.S., Mitsubishi spokesman Maurice Durand told Inside Line that the current Evo will remain in the company's lineup through 2013, but he declined to comment about the company's plans beyond that date."

Remember the RA-Concept was an AWD TC-SST 4 cylinder turbo diesel. 201hp & 310tq.
Old Nov 22, 2011 | 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

^ Can you link to that article? I tried to find it, but can only find a March 2011 article. If true, that would contradict other statements made by Mitsubishi.
Old Nov 23, 2011 | 04:17 AM

the release of this car wouldnt be for another 2 years! you guys should wait before judging it. and besides, not everyone here would get rid of their evo 8s and 9s for anything else if it was for performance they had in mind. y'all probably have spent $2000-$10000+ in mods already, why care what the next gen evo would be? enjoy the last 4g63 engines that you guys rock.

mitsubishi has been around for a long time, they know what they are doing. if they release a diesel hybrid, its whats best for their company. they can even discontinue evos if they want and go for a lesser alternative. just like when toyota decided to stop making supras and decided to stay with cheaper sport cars like mr2 and celica, they lost the hardcore toyota fanatics coz their beloved super tuner car was discontinued.. but then again look at how many mr2s and celicas you see running around? everyone can drive them, they're cheaper blah blah blah. that being said, who knows what tomorrow brings..
Old Nov 23, 2011 | 10:44 AM
Evolving Member

i'm interested to see what this new evo brings. if they promise for it to stay under the 5.0 sec 0-60 then i think it may surprise some people who think hybrid/diesel yuck. we'll have to wait and see. I just hope it doest look anything like the pic in the thrid link of the OP.

although if i end up getting one of these hybrids i'll have to learn a whole new ball game. don't know much about hybrids or diesels.
Old Nov 23, 2011 | 02:20 PM
Evolving Member

I myself can't wait!!!! With the right gearing it will be fast...and have a world of TQ! Look what Audi did with it's racing diesel engineering. The French must of hated it. Those cars were fast at low RPM'S.
Old Nov 25, 2011 | 04:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by utripin
I myself can't wait!!!! With the right gearing it will be fast...and have a world of TQ! Look what Audi did with it's racing diesel engineering. The French must of hated it. Those cars were fast at low RPM'S.
Better be 6spd manual or I won't move a finger (as in, sign a purchase agreement )
Old Nov 25, 2011 | 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by jazket
Better be 6spd manual or I won't move a finger (as in, sign a purchase agreement )
Don't hold your breath...Ferrari has stopped producing manual transmissions, all will be semi-automatics. Maserati is doing the same. They claim the semi-automatic is a faster shift and better protects the drivetrain.
Old Nov 25, 2011 | 06:13 AM
Evolving Member

Mitsubishi MC has financial problems for a long time. And as a revenue is a clear indicator of business success their problems prove they DO NOT KNOW what they are doing. Unfortunately

Originally Posted by LVLANCER
mitsubishi has been around for a long time, they know what they are doing
Old Nov 25, 2011 | 08:19 AM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by KOOLER
Mitsubishi MC has financial problems for a long time. And as a revenue is a clear indicator of business success their problems prove they DO NOT KNOW what they are doing. Unfortunately
Knowing what you're doing on an engineering level vs a business level are two different things. They've had moron managers the last 5-10 years. You can have all the talent in the world developing, testing and engineering... but any moron on the top of that chain can ruin it *ahem*, Microsoft.

In my experience, Mitsubishi loves to over-engineer things when produced. Not just in the automotive industry, but all industries. Make some of the heartiest elevators, compressors, ships, etc. I'm all ears when this car comes out. If it tanks it tanks, and will lose a ton of respect. But they haven't tanked an Evo yet imo. Bring it on.
Old Nov 25, 2011 | 08:33 AM
Evolving Member

diesel hybrid evo = teh fail If your going for economic go with a stock 4 door civic maybe subaru if you are dead set on all wheel drive . Like a diet you either eat healthy or don't eat healthy This car is like a low fat cookie what is the point if you are going to cheat might as well make it worthwhile and tasty . my 2 cents
Old Nov 25, 2011 | 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by 3grst01
diesel hybrid evo = teh fail If your going for economic go with a stock 4 door civic maybe subaru if you are dead set on all wheel drive . Like a diet you either eat healthy or don't eat healthy This car is like a low fat cookie what is the point if you are going to cheat might as well make it worthwhile and tasty . my 2 cents

All that matters are the #s. If they produce a diesel hybrid evo that is the quickest evo ever to come out of Japan, everyone here will change their tune immediately and look like hypocrites, but then make excuses for it because the #s are so good

That said, if it actually *is* a diesel, I cant imagine it being sent to the US.

In the EU, they would eat a diesel hybrid up. If it performed better than the X and had diesel/hybrid efficiency, TopGear would have a stroke over it. EU loves diesels.

In the US the infrastructure just really isnt here (for various reasons). Diesel has been *very* slow to gain traction in the US. Releasing an iconic car like the evo as a diesel in the US would be a bad move IMO, not because of any performance issue or "image" BS, but more for the practical reason that US consumers just dont buy diesels.

US consumers, do, however, buy higher MPG cars. The tiny vocal minority on car enthusiast forums that want to buy a used car, remove the cats, pay a massive amount for gas, and not give a crap at all about the environment as long as they can "burn Vettes at the light" represent a rounding error on new car sales. Indeed, this type of buyer *never* buys a new car. New car buyers, by and large, *do* give a crap about emissions (this isnt just "draconian govt law") Believe me... The auto unions are *strong as hell* as are the oil companies. NEITHER of them want high emissions standards or high MPG targets. yet they failed. The reason all of that payola failed is because *most* regular people are worried about the environment and also are tired of paying big $$$ for gas. As a result, the govt went the safe route and (for a change) ignored the big $$$ lobbies and went with public pressure.

Car enthusiasts may not like this, or want to accept it, but it's reality. It isnt a special interest movement that is pushing MPG standards up, it actually *is* what people are demanding (and rightly so, IMO)

Mitsu is being smart. Id wager that 99% of folks saying "Ill keep my VIII,IX thanks!" really arent in a position to buy a new car anyway and probably wouldnt *want* any new car because any new car is going to just *have* to be heavier and more efficient because of the new regulations anyway. You have to just drive cars from the 90s forever and hope they keep making parts. The rest of the world has actually *already* moved on. Its odd because most folks also *worship* the GTR which is a HELL of a lot heavier and more bloated than the X, but because it puts up giant #s, suddenly its all ok We used to have discussions like this endlessly on the NSX forum. People ranting and raving about what Honda should/shouldnt/can/cant do with the "new NSX" and how they "arent listening" to the "fan base". The problem is the "fan base" *only owns* the NSX, in the vast majority of cases, because you can now buy one for $25k. That's not their target market, so it actually is *not* a relevant demographic *at all*. People need to realize that. If your budget is like $30k tops yet you want world killing performance, your opinion really *doesnt* count all that much to new car manufacturers because you're a *used car buyer* by definition. New car buyers at $30k want a high efficiency people mover thats very safe. New car buyers that want great performance also want great safety and efficiency and are prepared to spend for it.

BTW... yesterday I had an organic vegan cake that was honestly one of the best chocolate cakes I've ever eaten and was like 1/5th the calories. So that analogy actually kind of proves the opposite point you want to make. There is plenty of "healty alternative" food that tasts fantastic. Often, however, it is *expensive* which is a definite concern for this new evo. If it moves even farther up the price point spectrum, they *are* going to need to do something beyond pimping out a Lancer (in other words - completely distance it from everything else they make in every way ala Nissan with the GT-R) That might necessitate pushing it *even farther* up price wise, though, which would put them in an entirely different segment (possibly pushing near GT-R territory). I think that would be a big mistake for them. I just dont think Mitsu can move a car that is that much more than the current MR. IMO about $50k is probably all Mitsu can realistically move a car for.

Last edited by mlambert890; Nov 25, 2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2011 | 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by euntaeyi
I didn't read through all 12 pages of this thread but... is it incorrect for being under the impression that the diesel/hybrid platform will be an optional trim for the new platform?? It seems counterintuitive in a business sense to discard the new 4B11 platform as many people have mentioned. This seems like an interesting marketing intitiative by Mitsu.

Also, there are serious diesel powered F1 style race cars out there. Several years ago I remember seeing some McLaren/Mercedes race cars for the 24 hr lemans race that was powered by a diesel engine. I did some searching and found this:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/audis-di...-own-good.html
First of all, the Evo XI will be a diesel/hybrid according to Mitsubishi. It will not be optional. Secondly, not sure what racing you are watching, but you are waaaaay off. F1 currently has 2.4 liter V8's. They use a KERS system to supplement the engine. Aso for LeMans, that is sports car racing. Audi and Peugeot have been using diesels, first with V12's and now with V6 diesels. They will be using diesel/hybrids next year. So, just for clarification, McLaren Mercedes if an F1 team using the current 2.4 liter/KERS engine.

Last edited by SamsonEvoX; Nov 25, 2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old Dec 3, 2011 | 03:25 AM
Account Disabled

imagine at the diesel pump bull****ting with all those truck drivers, convincing them your EVO is really a race car ftw lol.

So when this diesel EVO comes out, will my 8 MR double in price?

Quick Reply: "Evo XI" rumors, speculations, and media reports.