Notices
Discussion / Rumors The rumored Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution XI. .What have you heard? What do you think?

"Evo XI" rumors, speculations, and media reports.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2012 | 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by ZCHF

First, there is no way a motor can tell the tire is slipping relative to the ground. All the motor will know is if it's slipping relative to the other wheels. It would work the exact way traction control works.
Wrong... once traction is broken the load on the motor decreases significantly, as the work done by the motor is no longer accelerating the car.
Old Dec 11, 2012 | 11:19 AM
Maz

So guys have we really not heard ANYTHING new at all about the XI?? Shouldn't we be getting info around this time?
Old Dec 11, 2012 | 05:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Maz
So guys have we really not heard ANYTHING new at all about the XI?? Shouldn't we be getting info around this time?
Nada
Old Dec 11, 2012 | 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Windstorm
Wrong... once traction is broken the load on the motor decreases significantly, as the work done by the motor is no longer accelerating the car.
Technically that wouldn't be the motor, it would be the motor controller, but I guess I'll agree, although you wouldn't want to control traction via current transients but rather encoder position vs other wheels.
Old Dec 12, 2012 | 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Maz
They are probably going to be hush hush for a while. The first vehicle that they are releasing with this type of drivetrain is the Outlander PHEV, which isn't due stateside until sometime next year. We'll be lucky to get any hard numbers for a while.
Old Jan 9, 2013 | 10:04 AM

I think that the XI will be more expensive because electric batteries wont last you a vary long time if youre thinking of keeping it for a very long time. Electric batteries cost abot 10,000$ and they last about 10-15 year so if youre planning of keeping it it is going to be alot of money for a new battery and replacement. What are your guys opinions?
Old Jan 10, 2013 | 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

lol @ torque winning races......everyone always forgets about gearing. Having all the torque in the world with no gearing doesn't get you very far.
Old Jan 10, 2013 | 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SergioEvo
I think that the XI will be more expensive because electric batteries wont last you a vary long time if youre thinking of keeping it for a very long time. Electric batteries cost abot 10,000$ and they last about 10-15 year so if youre planning of keeping it it is going to be alot of money for a new battery and replacement. What are your guys opinions?
Assume 10 years of battery life at 15,000 miles per year. That is 150,000 miles.

How many miles does a transmission last? How much does a transmission cost?
How many miles does an engine last? How much does an engine cost?

Given the trade off, a battery is worth it even at $10,000. And let's be realistic. How many people actually keep the same car for 10 years? Also, the truth of the matter is that the battery isn't that expensive. At most, it's costing about $6,000 to $8,000, and those prices are going down every year. By the time you would be looking to replace the battery, it will likely cost less than what you'd pay for a transmission rebuild today.

*Edit:

One more thing to think about. When the EVO X MR and RalliArt came out, they had the TC-SST developed by Getrag. That tranny cost about $8,000 early on (I haven't kept up with the recent prices), and that is actually more expensive than the battery that Mitsubishi has spec'd for its plug-in hybrids. A 12 kWh battery at the current price of roughly $400 kWh is only $4,800. People didn't balk at buying the EVO X MR or RalliArt due to the expensive new transmission. I doubt people will balk at the idea of buying an EVO XI due to an expensive new battery.

Last edited by Ladogaboy; Jan 11, 2013 at 12:29 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2013 | 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Roen
lol @ torque winning races......everyone always forgets about gearing. Having all the torque in the world with no gearing doesn't get you very far.
Why would you need gearing with an electric motor?
Old Jan 11, 2013 | 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Ladogaboy
Assume 10 years of battery life at 15,000 miles per year. That is 150,000 miles.

How many miles does a transmission last? How much does a transmission cost?
How many miles does an engine last? How much does an engine cost?

Given the trade off, a battery is worth it even at $10,000. And let's be realistic. How many people actually keep the same car for 10 years? Also, the truth of the matter is that the battery isn't that expensive. At most, it's costing about $6,000 to $8,000, and those prices are going down every year. By the time you would be looking to replace the battery, it will likely cost less than what you'd pay for a transmission rebuild today.

*Edit:

One more thing to think about. When the EVO X MR and RalliArt came out, they had the TC-SST developed by Getrag. That tranny cost about $8,000 early on (I haven't kept up with the recent prices), and that is actually more expensive than the battery that Mitsubishi has spec'd for its plug-in hybrids. A 12 kWh battery at the current price of roughly $400 kWh is only $4,800. People didn't balk at buying the EVO X MR or RalliArt due to the expensive new transmission. I doubt people will balk at the idea of buying an EVO XI due to an expensive new battery.
Ok I hadnt thought of that other transmission problem. And If the batteries do have a problem after warranty you would have to pay that money so thats a small issue to think about. Anyways I think I might wait for the XI and most likely end up buying the new beast but I just thought some people might wanna know. The 2003 evo is 10 years old and people still own that car.
Old Jan 11, 2013 | 08:56 PM
Evolving Member
Veteran: Air Force

so i take it they have not dropped any major *Verifiable* specs yet.
Old Jan 12, 2013 | 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

if you look at it as Mitsubishi must, you see the car company has a relatively small market for evos. They likely don't sell many evos in the rest of the world. It has bailed out of the US market with what should have been their money makers. As far as I can see the little suv and the evo would be the only cars they would have for the US market. And as small as the evo market is in the US is, why bother. I guess you can think of it as a tech developing vehicle, and batteries may be the future, and someday they my be THE market. All of which would point to a winner as the car should be a tech proving concept car. More likely marketing and the money guys will say, not at this time boys.

Logically mitsubishi doesn't build the evo, the market is dissolving. So all money bets are off, but looking at the odds, no matter what the company says, a poker guy says I'm out.

Mitsubishi has a market for other types of cars for the rest of the world and all its stages.

ps, the notion of the evo is anti enviro, at its heart, so pounding that arrow into a plow is sort of a square peg exercise.
Old Jan 12, 2013 | 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SergioEvo
The 2003 evo is 10 years old and people still own that car.
You're right, though. The EVO definitely is a car that people might keep for 10 years (or regret getting rid of), but after 10 year and a 100,000 miles, the cost to replace a $5,000 battery would be pennies for every mile driven.

Originally Posted by Playap07
so i take it they have not dropped any major *Verifiable* specs yet.
Other than the Outlander PHEV, which will have a similar drivetrain, no. The official numbers probably won't be released until some later time this year.

Originally Posted by nothere
Logically mitsubishi doesn't build the evo, the market is dissolving. So all money bets are off, but looking at the odds, no matter what the company says, a poker guy says I'm out.
Well, I see this transition being an all-in bet for Mitsubishi. If their first round of plug-in hybrid vehicles fail in the U.S. market, yes, they might step out of the market completely. But in regards to the EVO, it is the perfect platform to test this new plug-in hybrid technology. While they do have to worry about coming in under a certain price point, they have far more flexibility than they would have with an economy car. This is a reversal of their previous strategy (a failed one) with the MiEV, which is so cheap no one wants one. If anything, plugging in the EVO allows Mitsubishi to take the Tesla approach--marketing from the top down--by getting away with selling fewer cars because of a higher price.

Originally Posted by nothere
ps, the notion of the evo is anti enviro, at its heart, so pounding that arrow into a plow is sort of a square peg exercise.
I wholeheartedly disagree with you on this. If anything, the EVO is based the notion of doing more with less. Overachieving, if you will. The environment only comes into it because we've collectively had the wool pulled over our eyes in terms of what true power and efficiency are. Internal combustion engines are inherently destructive and inefficient. The EVO is only incidentally anti-environment, not necessarily anti-environment.
Old Jan 12, 2013 | 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

I wholeheartedly disagree with you on this. If anything, the EVO is based the notion of doing more with less. Overachieving, if you will. The environment only comes into it because we've collectively had the wool pulled over our eyes in terms of what true power and efficiency are. Internal combustion engines are inherently destructive and inefficient. The EVO is only incidentally anti-environment, not necessarily anti-environment.[/QUOTE]

Well yes and no, IC cars are pretty darned fine, given the various requirements of the broad public. I think you are painting it with too dark a stain.
As for the evo, maybe, although when pushed its 3 mpg is a little less tidy than one might wish. But it does what it set out to do and very well.

Mitsu's got some major face lift surgery scheduled if its going to sell anything to the US consumer at a price point like Nordstrums. I'm seeing Kmart .

You make good points and I hope things spell out as you suggest, just thinking out loud what would be going through my head if I was sitting at the table.
Old Jan 12, 2013 | 06:08 PM

from an inside sources, it seems they're a bit behind in terms of development of the Evo XI. it's likely to either:

a. hit late in the 2014 model year
b. be a rushed product
c. some combination of the two

the lack of info probably makes more sense now

Quick Reply: "Evo XI" rumors, speculations, and media reports.