Notices
Discussion / Rumors The rumored Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution XI. .What have you heard? What do you think?

"Evo XI" rumors, speculations, and media reports.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2013 | 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Man, I would love a job with Mitsubishi if they need help designing the XI.
Old Jan 14, 2013 | 07:49 PM

Diesel!
Old Jan 18, 2013 | 12:02 AM

The Evo xi better be a diesel hybrid. look at all the diesel's in the market today. I just recently sold a 2005 duramax with 562.000 miles on it still running and pulling strong with the trans barley needing a rebuilt. motor wise never replaced one thing only glow plugs and minor tune ups never even had to replace head gasket or rings. ect.. all stock. if Koreans can make such good quality engines then Mitsubishi can do it BETTER! ! its not like Mitsubishi is going to downgrade there pride and possession LANCER EVOLUTION blood line. Just look at Audi and there diesels . my buddy has a newer Audi AWD wagon powered by a diesel engine. he DYNO TUNED IT MAKEING MORE POWER AND GAIND ABOUT 5 TO 6 MORE MPG! . from that you can tell a lot! if I can make more power and get better MPG life is good =] . looking at this it seems that diesels are very Mod friendly almost to mod friendly lol there are more pros over cons to a diesel engine. So my POV is "DON'T JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER" gas is not going to last forever. Mitsubishi is just trying to stay ahead like everyone else is. Maybe the Diesel/hybrid is not such a bad thing after all.
Old Jan 18, 2013 | 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by modusvivendi
Ok. Before I post this I'm just saying I'm only 3 pages into this thread but it will be completely read because this is interesting to me. However I have to say I'm really disgusted with how closed minded everyone is about this hybrid technology. It's been proven to work in F1, Diesel Makes amazing low end torque, and Electric cars have 100% torque through the RPM range. Horsepower does NOT win races torque does. Raw horse power is what dictates your top speed, but, torque dictates how quickly you get there.

People who will sit there and say that the hybrid will never be a performer are still living in the first years of the prius. You have to look at the evidence and get out of the muscle car mindset. The technology in this is amazing. When you have electric cars destroying Lotus' and Porshces (IE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTKexaylnt4) and you have F1 recognizing the potential of hybrid abilities AND you hybrid vehicles WINNING Le Mans (http://www.dpncanada.com/Site-Conten...s-Le-Mans.html) its really kind of ignorant to continue arguing that this is going to be a terrible thing for a future performance cars. I only see good things. You're going to get the power and performance everyone of us wants with the fuel economy we all want. Maybe its just me and the community I hail from but I fail to see how any of this can be a bad thing. The only thing I'm waiting to see for from this is the reliability factor from this set up.

I honestly think this will be a gold mine to Mitsubishi if they can get it right and we need to actually open up our browsers to google and actually research hybrid technology in the performance world since most of us seem to be stuck in the prius hybrid mind set. That being said I'll just leave this here.

http://www.gtspirit.com/2012/01/28/o...s-gt300-racer/
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...cars-in-top-10
http://www.gizmag.com/formul-1-going...ing-too/17212/
http://www.autoweek.com/article/2010...NEWS/100219985

Now really ask yourself this. If all the top end car makers alot of us wish we could get into are making top end hybrid race cars why shouldn't Mitsubishi if they can do it at a much lower price.

well said!!!! I agree 110%
Old Jan 18, 2013 | 02:10 AM
Account Disabled

Here in NJ certain diesel vehicles are exempt from DMV inspection, some older model vw cars and most diesel trucks, my 2012 f350 diesel has no inspection sticker!
I wonder if the new diesel EVO will fall in that catagory??
Old Jan 24, 2013 | 06:05 AM
Evolved Member

http://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMNA/j...ny/concepts.do

Is the concept-RA been on the protoype page for a while? This could be old but I've never really looked at it. It has a 2.2L Diesel. It has low emissions and pretty good gas mileage.. 310tq doesn't sound too bad. Also has the same Evo X S-AWC. Could be kind of what we get in the next Evo.

The rear end looks kind of cool I guess, but I couldn't get a coupe. I hope they make the next Evo in a 4-door version like they have always done..
Old Jan 30, 2013 | 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

I would rather get herpes and cancer the same day instead of a diesel. No thanks . I never liked the 8 and 9 because they were not a complete car, fast but unrefined and an interior from a wheelbarrow. The 10 is in my opinion the best evo yet and going diesel electric now will be a mistake. Looks like I bought the best and last evo the evolution cycle offers.
Old Jan 30, 2013 | 06:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by love9sick
I would rather get herpes and cancer the same day instead of a diesel. No thanks . I never liked the 8 and 9 because they were not a complete car, fast but unrefined and an interior from a wheelbarrow. The 10 is in my opinion the best evo yet and going diesel electric now will be a mistake. Looks like I bought the best and last evo the evolution cycle offers.
Wow, I would rather get a diesel then.

I honest think that diesel isn't that bad if and only if the gas mileage doubles.
Old Jan 31, 2013 | 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by willyan1989
I honest think that diesel isn't that bad if and only if the gas mileage doubles.
Hopefully, Mitsubishi will include mode controls (like they do with the RA and MR). The way I am imagining it:

ECO Mode: For short commutes. The engine wouldn't be activated unless you have completely depleted the battery pack. In essence, any commutes you have under 30 miles might not use any diesel/gas.

Normal Mode: For more... exciting... daily driving. The engine would cycle on and off as needed (high acceleration/high loads) but would not run during cruising. Once you have depleted the battery pack, engine would run the front motor as a generator to feed the rear electric motors directly.

Sport Mode: To me, the logical way for the Sport Mode to function would be for the engine to be running constantly in order to maintain battery charge, so even as you are decelerating into a corner, you are going to be hearing the engine at full throttle running the front electric motor as a generator. Doing so will allow the front and rear electric motors to provide maximum power from the battery while still receiving a physical assist up front from the engine.

Some key differences on how Normal and Sport modes would function:

• While you'd have only marginally better power from Sport Mode, you'd be able to sustain it for a longer period of time (e.g., track day).
  • Sport Mode would be harder on the battery because it will be constantly feeding and drawing power from the battery at a high rate (which is why it is important to maintain a higher state of charge).
  • Sport Mode is inherently less efficient than Normal Mode because using the engine to recharge the battery during deceleration/low loads is less efficient than using the engine to power a generator (the front electric motor) that feeds electricity directly to the rear motors. For a real-world example: A track day would probably result in 10-20 mpg while a 40 mile commute in Normal Mode would probably result in 80-120 mpg (obviously, you'd also be using electricity).
Old Jan 31, 2013 | 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

even if this diesel turns out badass im still going to rock my 8 and probably going to buy another and a 9 very soon. the demise of mitsu lol
Old Feb 3, 2013 | 10:32 AM

Well.... looks like I'll be investing in a X before the prices skyrocket on this new XI
Old Feb 4, 2013 | 10:49 AM

I never liked the X, but now... what are they thinking?
Old Feb 4, 2013 | 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by octane88
Well.... looks like I'll be investing in a X before the prices skyrocket on this new XI
Really everything is just vapor at the moment. Until we start seeing concept vehicles and what's inside then I'd start guessing at pricing.

Look at the FR-S for information release. They were years out with details before production numbers were out. We aren't even at Step 1 yet with the Evo.

0 credible sources so far. Hell, even Subaru's next WRX/STI platform has nothing yet.
Old Feb 5, 2013 | 09:49 AM

This just looks beautiful
Old Feb 5, 2013 | 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by BoosterX
Really everything is just vapor at the moment. Until we start seeing concept vehicles and what's inside then I'd start guessing at pricing.

Look at the FR-S for information release. They were years out with details before production numbers were out. We aren't even at Step 1 yet with the Evo.

0 credible sources so far. Hell, even Subaru's next WRX/STI platform has nothing yet.
The FR-S was a collaboration with Subaru though, so maybe that's why it took longer. I heard about hybrid rumors a couple years ago, but it was on some sketchy site so I wasn't sure how reliable of a source it was. Fast forward to today and they're still talking about the hybrid. I know it's still a ways away, I just really worry that the price of the Evo is going to get crazy. When I was working at a dealership, the least expensive good performance hybrids we had were around 26k, which is already much less than a new Evo. #firstevoproblems I guess.

Quick Reply: "Evo XI" rumors, speculations, and media reports.