Notices
Discussion / Rumors The rumored Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution XI. .What have you heard? What do you think?

"Evo XI" rumors, speculations, and media reports.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2013 | 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TeachersEvo
You make a whole lot of assumptions.
About weight balance? The AWD requirements of an Evo? Regenerative braking? What "lot" am I assuming?
Old Jul 28, 2013 | 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by olmoscd
He should have said "equivalent" and not "killer". If mistsubishi engineers put god himself to lead the engineering team, they will have a very poor probability of producing an Evolution XI that would be within visual following distance of a GT-R in a race. The probability of it being a competitor to a GT-R: 0/10.
You really don't know that much about electric motors, do you?

As it stands, around windy tracks, the current generation EVO isn't that far behind the GT-R (I know, I know, seconds are years as far as track is concerned), and that is with a car that is over a second slower 0-60 MPH. If an all-electric EVO X existed with the SAME power as the gas version, it would knock at least half a second off the 0-60 MPH time. Why? Because of torque delivery.

A 500 hp EVO in the 3,500-4,000lb curb weight range (completely doable, but most likely closer to 4,000lbs), would have a 0-60 MPH time in the low 3 second range and possibly a sub 12 second 1/4 mile.

But, as others have stated, other manufacturers also are developing their hybrid sports car lines, so the EVO won't, necessarily, be anything special. But the Evolution is coming.
Old Jul 28, 2013 | 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ladogaboy

As it stands, around windy tracks, the current generation EVO isn't that far behind the GT-R (I know, I know, seconds are years as far as track is concerned), and that is with a car that is over a second slower 0-60 MPH. If an all-electric EVO X existed with the SAME power as the gas version, it would knock at least half a second off the 0-60 MPH time. Why? Because of torque delivery.

A 500 hp EVO in the 3,500-4,000lb curb weight range (completely doable, but most likely closer to 4,000lbs), would have a 0-60 MPH time in the low 3 second range and possibly a sub 12 second 1/4 mile.

But, as others have stated, other manufacturers also are developing their hybrid sports car lines, so the EVO won't, necessarily, be anything special. But the Evolution is coming.
So you accuse me of not knowing much about electric motors, then you go on about a Evo X "isn't that far behind the GT-R" on a track?

Tell me, does ten seconds slower on a typical 2+ mile lap sound "not that far behind"? Do a quick google search and you'll find results much nastier. I was being generous and comparing the 2008 GT-R (which is quite slower than a 2013 Track Edition) to a 2008 Evo X and the cars aren't even on the same planet of performance.

This has nothing to do with understanding electric motors.

I don't understand how you can even believe what you just posted. I'm just going to assume you're a troll.

And FWIW, I agree with you on the estimated performance and weight of such an electric Evo.

Last edited by redleg225; Jul 28, 2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old Jul 28, 2013 | 11:44 AM

I really hope it's not a diesel hybrid. I really want it to be a regular hybrid!!!
Old Jul 29, 2013 | 06:51 AM
Maz

I disagree with that point. I cant think of one car that is better around a curb than an Evo and if it actually does end up with 500hp it will tear **** apart. didn't target the GTR for nothing. At WORST I think it's gonna be Evo just barley behind the GTR. Assuming all this **** is for real.
Old Jul 29, 2013 | 11:04 PM
Evolved Member

So you accuse me of not knowing much about electric motors, then you go on about a Evo X "isn't that far behind the GT-R" on a track?

Tell me, does ten seconds slower on a typical 2+ mile lap sound "not that far behind"?
Let's see. I say "windy," you say "typical." Sounds like we are talking about two different things. It is pretty commonly accepted that the EVO is more nimble than the GTR. Godzilla never had to pierroet. If the EVO's acceleration matched the GTR's (and it would in electric form), it seems to me to be a foregone conclusion that the EVO would be faster than the GTR around a "typical" track.

Again, though (and as others have stated), the GTR is a last-generation car. The EVO XI would be a next-generation car. It's almost not fair comparing them, but it sounds like Mitsubishi has a goal in mind for the EVO XI. According to you, that is a 10 second improvement, and according to me, that improvement is not only possible but also very likely. That seems to be our only point of disagreement.

Oh, and on a side note: Name calling is typical behavior for trolls, not the other way around.
Old Jul 30, 2013 | 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

This may be an ignorant comment, but I personally like the idea of a hybrid diesel as opposed to straight electric because of the tuning capabilities. Diesels are so damn durable and it seems to me that the acceleration differences are negligeable. A diesel will pull like a locomotive. The only disadvantage I foresee with that type of engine is the weight of it, making it potentially more difficult to balance the Evo 50/50. Inform me of what I'm missing please
Old Jul 30, 2013 | 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Okay--so we agree that the performance goals of Mitsubishi's next generation Evolution is to match that of a 2008 Nissan GT-R, which is significantly slower than a 2014 Track Edition GT-R, or even a 2014 GT-R base.

In 2015, then, Mitsubishi's flagship sports car will be as good as a base 2008 GT-R.

That's actually good enough for me, considering that the Evo should be in the mid-$30's price.

I think it's probably not going to happen, though. I think it will be marginally faster than an Evo X but height-adjustable seats and 12" navigation screen will appease all the X owners.

CT9A lovers will scoff and buy ~2010 GT-R's, which at that point should be in the $40k price range. Maybe even Z51 C7's which should be in the same price as well.

It's over. Evo's are finished.

Let's see. I say "windy," you say "typical." Sounds like we are talking about two different things. It is pretty commonly accepted that the EVO is more nimble than the GTR. Godzilla never had to pierroet. If the EVO's acceleration matched the GTR's (and it would in electric form), it seems to me to be a foregone conclusion that the EVO would be faster than the GTR around a "typical" track.

Again, though (and as others have stated), the GTR is a last-generation car. The EVO XI would be a next-generation car. It's almost not fair comparing them, but it sounds like Mitsubishi has a goal in mind for the EVO XI. According to you, that is a 10 second improvement, and according to me, that improvement is not only possible but also very likely. That seems to be our only point of disagreement.

Oh, and on a side note: Name calling is typical behavior for trolls, not the other way around.

Last edited by redleg225; Jul 30, 2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old Jul 30, 2013 | 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

Okay--so we agree that the performance goals of Mitsubishi's next generation Evolution is to match that of a 2008 Nissan GT-R, which is significantly slower than a 2014 Track Edition GT-R, or even a 2014 GT-R base.
I would say, exceed a 2008 GT-R, and possibly match (or come close to the later track editions).

CT9A lovers will scoff and buy ~2010 GT-R's, which at that point should be in the $40k price range. Maybe even Z51 C7's which should be in the same price as well.

It's over. Evo's are finished.
First, the EVO XI will definitely be over $40k, but with incentives for hybrid electric vehicles, its final cost will be in the low $30k range. Second, why would someone spend the same amount of money for a used vehicle with similar performance when they could buy a new vehicle with a warranty and far lower cost of ownership? And you think I'm out of touch with reality!
Old Jul 30, 2013 | 10:56 PM

barf
Old Jul 30, 2013 | 11:28 PM
Evolving Member

the 08 GTR was $72k, after 2011 its been closer to $95k, the next evo will most likely not be based on the next generation Lancer but it will also not be in that price range either, so comparing them is non-sense
Old Jul 30, 2013 | 11:31 PM
Evolved Member

Hasn't the new GT-R run like a 10.8 stock 1/4 time?
Old Jul 30, 2013 | 11:37 PM
Evolved Member

I still don't buy 500 hp. I think most of you will be disappointed when the real power outputs are shown. Like I said, going from 291 to 500? Really? The car doesn't even need that much power... it can run a 13 flat in the 2011 and up models in stock form. Adding a simple 50-75 hp would likely yield a mid 12 second car stock.
Old Jul 31, 2013 | 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

I would say, exceed a 2008 GT-R, and possibly match (or come close to the later track editions).

First, the EVO XI will definitely be over $40k, but with incentives for hybrid electric vehicles, its final cost will be in the low $30k range. Second, why would someone spend the same amount of money for a used vehicle with similar performance when they could buy a new vehicle with a warranty and far lower cost of ownership? And you think I'm out of touch with reality!
Ok so the XI will "possibly match" the performance of a Track Edition GT-R (a $120k car) which is on par with a 997 Turbo S in performance (a $150k car).

Let's go to fantasy land and assume Mitsubishi pulls that off and makes an Evolution compete with the above mentioned top-tier sports cars.

Prius's don't have any hybrid incentives and neither do many hybrids these days. The incentives are in electric vehicles. So the Evo will start at "over $40k" but the US Gov't will give $10k in incentives for a Mistubishi?

So in your educated prediction, you pay low $30's because the US Government will heavily subsidize (more than they do for their domestic Volt and Tesla) for a Japanese ~$45k MSRP car that keeps up with $120k+ supercars?

I'm gonna go back to the troll theory. This has to be a troll.

Last edited by redleg225; Jul 31, 2013 at 09:19 AM.
Old Jul 31, 2013 | 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Methodical4u
Hasn't the new GT-R run like a 10.8 stock 1/4 time?
Yes and circuit lap times are where the story really lies. The 2014 GT-R TE is an absolute monster at changing direction and stopping. Not just rocketing past 1320 ft.

The guy you're replying to is just being a troll. Nobody actually believes that Mitsubishi is going to compete with GT-R level performance with their new $35k hybrid. The real expectation (and I may be shooting too high) is that a 2015 Evo XI will be within visual distance of a 2008 GT-R or a base Corvette C6 (I originally wrote C7 but there's no way that would happen) on a track.

Last edited by redleg225; Jul 31, 2013 at 09:20 AM.

Quick Reply: "Evo XI" rumors, speculations, and media reports.