Notices
Discussion / Rumors The rumored Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution XI. .What have you heard? What do you think?

"Evo XI" rumors, speculations, and media reports.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2013 | 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Methodical4u
still can't let that go huh?
It's totally not gonna happen but what I really like is how he can't examine the Altima, Maxima, Titan or GT-R as the highly competitive vehicles they are within their markets. He points to the Leaf, which ironically is a great example not of Nissan's engineering troubles but of the entire concept of electric vehicles being impossibly expensive and horrible. A concept he vehemently denies.
Old Aug 4, 2013 | 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by olmoscd
It's totally not gonna happen but what I really like is how he can't examine the Altima, Maxima, Titan or GT-R as the highly competitive vehicles they are within their markets. He points to the Leaf, which ironically is a great example not of Nissan's engineering troubles but of the entire concept of electric vehicles being impossibly expensive and horrible. A concept he vehemently denies.
I think that electric cars look ghey How's that one for off topic!?!
Old Aug 4, 2013 | 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Admittedly I am constantly flipping cars... now my X I had for about 20k or so miles, but I would have kept it. I myself DID buy a 370z, I also had a 2010 MS3, my Wife had an 09 MS3, I had the 370 after that... and then sold that for my WRX due to being upside down on my Z and the fact that they were performing quite well for a non STI (also for 25k OTD (plus my money on my Z that was still owed).
Your argument that the comparison is "weak" is your own thinking, but plenty of people on this site were quite interested in trading their Evo's for my 370, including AMS... weak you say? I say get off your high horse.

I loved my X, I liked it better than my IX and as far as performance it's been my very favorite car. Are their things that i'd like to see improved? Sure.

I don't care if I am mitsu's "target for this vehicle" since based on all of you all thinking that it's going to be some "GT-R killer" that's going to cost 70k or more... so not many will be their target.
It would be quite close minded to say that a person can not fit into more than one market or their needs and wants could change, altering the market they fit into. The fact remains that if someone needs 4 doors and/or AWD, a 370 is not going to be an option and there will be reasoning for vice versa.

Lets not call it a GTR killer, how about a GTR competitor. You don't think that there are many consumers in their target market? With a similar approach that Nissan had, high performance vehicle on a budget with better emissions, higher MPG (and rumoured full electric running), I'd have one of those in my garage.
Old Aug 4, 2013 | 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AndyCT9W
It would be quite close minded to say that a person can not fit into more than one market or their needs and wants could change, altering the market they fit into. The fact remains that if someone needs 4 doors and/or AWD, a 370 is not going to be an option and there will be reasoning for vice versa.

Lets not call it a GTR killer, how about a GTR competitor. You don't think that there are many consumers in their target market? With a similar approach that Nissan had, high performance vehicle on a budget with better emissions, higher MPG (and rumoured full electric running), I'd have one of those in my garage.
I don't know about the economy over there in New Zealand is, but in the U.S. things are not so great, so the fact that it was a GT-R competitor would be all well and good, and better gas mileage? That's great, but again... how much do you think this car would be? 60k? 70k? I would be willing to bet with a 500 hp level you could probably put it at around the 70k+ area. Many people here can't afford that and even if the mileage is somehow fantastic... how long would it take to make that money back on gas savings? Get a 2014, mod it to 500 hp, and try to save fuel... you'd be YEARS making that money back.
Old Aug 4, 2013 | 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

I don't know about the economy over there in New Zealand is, but in the U.S. things are not so great, so the fact that it was a GT-R competitor would be all well and good, and better gas mileage? That's great, but again... how much do you think this car would be? 60k? 70k? I would be willing to bet with a 500 hp level you could probably put it at around the 70k+ area. Many people here can't afford that and even if the mileage is somehow fantastic... how long would it take to make that money back on gas savings? Get a 2014, mod it to 500 hp, and try to save fuel... you'd be YEARS making that money back.
Admittedly our economy is not that bad considering how bad some other countries have been hit, I don't know how we compare to the U.S. in particular. Some kind of relevant information our 98 RON (93 equivalent) is NZ$2.34 per litre which comes to around US$6.88 a gallon. A new Evo X is in the region of NZ$70k (US$53K) and a new GTR is NZ$190k (US$145K).

How much do I think this car is going to cost? I'd guess 70-80K. Unaffordable? Take a minute to check out the current prices of the GTR and Porsche and BMW's equivalents.
Old Aug 5, 2013 | 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AndyCT9W
Admittedly our economy is not that bad considering how bad some other countries have been hit, I don't know how we compare to the U.S. in particular. Some kind of relevant information our 98 RON (93 equivalent) is NZ$2.34 per litre which comes to around US$6.88 a gallon. A new Evo X is in the region of NZ$70k (US$53K) and a new GTR is NZ$190k (US$145K).

How much do I think this car is going to cost? I'd guess 70-80K. Unaffordable? Take a minute to check out the current prices of the GTR and Porsche and BMW's equivalents.
We are supposedly about to hit total financial ruin in the US of A, yet year after year, since the crash, car companies (and not limited to that sector either!) have posted RECORD sales!!! Cars go up in price year after year, and people buy more cars than the year before, year in, year out!

Are we all just full of **** or do we all simply have our priorities all messed up in this Country? lol

Anyways, I'm getting tired of waiting for Mitsu to show off a freaking proto!!!

If the next Evo goes past 500hp you can BET it will go past 40k... Get ready to shell north of 50k for the next fully loaded MR. I know I am ready
Old Aug 5, 2013 | 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jazket
If the next Evo goes past 500hp you can BET it will go past 40k... Get ready to shell north of 50k for the next fully loaded MR. I know I am ready
Considering that the current generation MR is already $40,000, that's probably a good bet.

Either way, a good preview as to what the price might be is to compare the price increase between the previous generation Outlander and the Outlander PHEV (when it is released). The increase in price will be very close to the increase in price we could expect for the EVO XI.
Old Aug 5, 2013 | 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

When all is said and done, the majority of expense in owning ANY car is in market value. Endpoint market value is vital to how we determine the TCO of any vehicle and it is the largest value in the equation. Not "upkeep". So wrong again. I don't contest your claim that electrics are potentially more reliable, though.

The "50% premium pays for itself" is total rubbish unless one keeps the car for 15 years and you know it. Just use google on that one. And yes, the ELECTRIC car uses less fuel since it doesn't operate on it. This is like saying the gasoline car uses less plutonium. Wow! Too bad in every non-strawman category the electric is horrid.
While you are right that market value (more accurately, depreciation) does make up a large portion of the cost of ownership, it still does not necessarily outstrip the rest of the costs of ownership. Regardless, since both electric vehicles and internal combustion vehicles depreciate, depreciation is mostly a non-issue. The primary focus should be the differences in the cost of ownership between electric/plug-in vehicles and internal combustion vehicles, because that is really what we are trying to focus on. A $40,000 Volt and a $40,000 EVO both might depreciate 30% in the first three years of ownership, so what is the point in comparing depreciation? Now, on the other hand, using those same two cars: it costs < $1,000 per year to fuel a Volt, versus $3,000 for the EVO; the Volt might only need an oil change after the first two years while the EVO will require about three per year; and the Volt isn't likely to need a brake job in the first three years while the EVO likely will. All told, that's about a $6,000 difference in the first three years, and I think that 15% of the total cost of a vehicle in the first three years is significant. And that is just the difference cost of operating the vehicle, not the total cost of ownership.

Am I reading that wrong or can Mitsubishi absolutely not afford to lose money on the Evo XI? I think so. Its clear why they scrapped the idea in the first place. Economics tells you when you're ****ing up.
And you were saying I was guilty of straw-man arguments. No one ever said Mitsubishi would be losing money, but it is possible that they would be willing to break even or possibly take a loss on one model. And those are two very different things. Any time a car manufacturer makes a new vehicle, they are gambling. These days, billions of dollars goes into research and development, and the more that sunk cost can be spread across the lineup the better. It looks to me as though Mitsubishi is heading the way of Subaru, and they intend to have a lot of overlap across their lineup. The same hybrid setup will be implemented across the board (cutting costs) and the premium offerings like the EVO will come with a turbocharged engine; AWD (so the added cost of motors/inverters); and the rest of the premium parts. The base Lancer will be a chopped down, FWD, non-turbocharged variant.

Another economic incentive to this is, if Mitsubishi can make their flagship sports car sip gas on par with CAFE standards, they will get fleet mileage credits that they can sell off to other manufacturers (in the same way that Tesla did). But either way, I'm not getting through your confirmation bias, so I'll leave it at that. If that isn't enough economic incentive to convince you, I don't know what is.
Old Aug 6, 2013 | 01:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ladogaboy
...But either way, I'm not getting through your confirmation bias, so I'll leave it at that. If that isn't enough economic incentive to convince you, I don't know what is.
Fair enough. Good discussion anyway. Cheers, mate.
Old Aug 6, 2013 | 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

If Mitsubishi builds a AWD GTR performer with a 6 speed 3 pedal clutch and I will buy! As long as I can mod it
Old Aug 6, 2013 | 02:14 PM

this is b.s this thread says EVO XI DEVELOPMENT STARTS NEX YEAR! "CONFIMED" BUT IT IS NOT 2011 !!! WTF MITSU HURRY UP AND GIVE US DETAILS ON THE NEW EVO ITS BEEN 3 YEARS AND NO EVO YET!! SLACKING!!!
Old Aug 7, 2013 | 12:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Eblue_ix
this is b.s this thread says EVO XI DEVELOPMENT STARTS NEX YEAR! "CONFIMED" BUT IT IS NOT 2011 !!! WTF MITSU HURRY UP AND GIVE US DETAILS ON THE NEW EVO ITS BEEN 3 YEARS AND NO EVO YET!! SLACKING!!!
Pretty sure Mitsubishi has a lot of things on their mind other than rabid niche model fanbois from an underachieving market.

You know, like staying in business and attempting to actually make money for once.
Old Aug 8, 2013 | 04:48 AM

Can't wait
Old Aug 11, 2013 | 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jazket
We are supposedly about to hit total financial ruin in the US of A, yet year after year, since the crash, car companies (and not limited to that sector either!) have posted RECORD sales!!! Cars go up in price year after year, and people buy more cars than the year before, year in, year out!

Are we all just full of **** or do we all simply have our priorities all messed up in this Country? lol

Anyways, I'm getting tired of waiting for Mitsu to show off a freaking proto!!!

It won't go 500 hp... and if you think you'd get it for in the 50's for the MR IMO you're dreaming... how about 65-70 grand.
Old Aug 11, 2013 | 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

I would be surprised to see a new Evo over 325hp. The bean counters would not allow a four cylinder overly stressed to risk failures before the warranty expiration mark

Quick Reply: "Evo XI" rumors, speculations, and media reports.