Notices
Discussion / Rumors The rumored Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution XI. .What have you heard? What do you think?

"Evo XI" rumors, speculations, and media reports.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2013 | 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Anarchy99
I would be surprised to see a new Evo over 325hp. The bean counters would not allow a four cylinder overly stressed to risk failures before the warranty expiration mark
well look... someone with some sense. THANK YOU!
Old Aug 11, 2013 | 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Anarchy99
I would be surprised to see a new Evo over 325hp. The bean counters would not allow a four cylinder overly stressed to risk failures before the warranty expiration mark
What about a 300hp 4 cylinder plus 2x 100hp electric engines to make 500hp?
Old Aug 11, 2013 | 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AndyCT9W
What about a 300hp 4 cylinder plus 2x 100hp electric engines to make 500hp?
how much extra do you think that those 2 electric motors would drive the price up? Why do some of you still believe all of this 500 hp BS? The next Evo WILL NOT MAKE 500 hp... 20.00 bet to anyone on here that it doesn't. Dreamers.
Old Aug 11, 2013 | 08:50 PM
Evolving Member

Think bmw i8 its only a 3cyl and power figures with the electric aid are 362/420 so Im thinking 400/400 will be more realistic
Old Aug 11, 2013 | 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mynx87
Think bmw i8 its only a 3cyl and power figures with the electric aid are 362/420 so Im thinking 400/400 will be more realistic
the bmw will also be over 120 grand, so where would that put the Evo?
Old Aug 11, 2013 | 09:25 PM
Evolving Member

I was only talking power wise the evo will never compare styling or interrior of a bmw but im not nieve enough to tjink its going to be cheap im guessing 50k+ but it'll be interesting to see this car if it can compete on a performance aspect at least to the i8 I say its a big win for mitsu considering the peice difference and im sure it will aslo get crazy mpgs
Old Aug 12, 2013 | 01:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Methodical4u
the bmw will also be over 120 grand, so where would that put the Evo?
According to some in this thread a 500HP Evo XI GSR will start in the "high 30's" with government subsidies. If this happens, it will be regarded as the most revolutionary design, engineering and logistical feat ever.

Not to mention all the hate mail from shareholders to Mitsubishi executives asking why the hell they're giving a $100k car away for over half off as if they don't need profits.
Old Aug 12, 2013 | 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by olmoscd
According to some in this thread a 500HP Evo XI GSR will start in the "high 30's" with government subsidies. If this happens, it will be regarded as the most revolutionary design, engineering and logistical feat ever.

Not to mention all the hate mail from shareholders to Mitsubishi executives asking why the hell they're giving a $100k car away for over half off as if they don't need profits.
Guess that would fall in line with Nissan 'giving away' a $160K car (997T benchmark) car for an MSRP of $69K when it dropped back in 2008. Mitsubishi has to overcome the Evo being 'a Mitsubishi' before profit margins. This, afterall, is the entire premise of Evos, GT-Rs, and to a lesser extent Z06s/ZR1s. They are an exercise in the brand flexing it's muscle to prove they can engineer cars that can technologically compete with the Germans and Italians. Profits come from the sale of base Lancers, Galants etc. when people step foot in a show room to look at the halo car. It changes the brand image, which Mitsubishi sorely needs. Unlike Toyota, Nissan, and Honda, they don't have a high and moniker to stuff luxurious SUVs in to benefit from so Mitsubishi salesman can tell potential buyers "you know this Outlander has a 'Lexus' engine in it". So Mitsubishi has to find their niche. A $40K 400HP gas sipping Evo will be a step in the right direction, but definitely won't be enough.
Old Aug 12, 2013 | 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xking
Guess that would fall in line with Nissan 'giving away' a $160K car (997T benchmark) car for an MSRP of $69K when it dropped back in 2008. Mitsubishi has to overcome the Evo being 'a Mitsubishi' before profit margins. This, afterall, is the entire premise of Evos, GT-Rs, and to a lesser extent Z06s/ZR1s. They are an exercise in the brand flexing it's muscle to prove they can engineer cars that can technologically compete with the Germans and Italians. Profits come from the sale of base Lancers, Galants etc. when people step foot in a show room to look at the halo car. It changes the brand image, which Mitsubishi sorely needs. Unlike Toyota, Nissan, and Honda, they don't have a high and moniker to stuff luxurious SUVs in to benefit from so Mitsubishi salesman can tell potential buyers "you know this Outlander has a 'Lexus' engine in it". So Mitsubishi has to find their niche. A $40K 400HP gas sipping Evo will be a step in the right direction, but definitely won't be enough.
Dude, it's not going to be 40k for 400 hp. Maybe with no suspension, no brakes and no seats. For a base gsr I'm quite sure you'd be looking at least 45k and that's being VERY generous. Hey, it's nice to dream about all of this power though.

Last edited by Methodical4u; Aug 12, 2013 at 07:17 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2013 | 01:01 AM

Evo was, and is a rally car, 300bhp plus or minus is enough as stock.
WHat I really want to see, is Mitsu re-entering WRC and carry on developing Evo series (although it could be Colt Evo now).
Old Aug 13, 2013 | 03:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xking
Nissan sold the GT-R for that price but it did not compete with the 997T at that time. It had serious problems with its transmission and could not even come close to matching the 0-60 in 2.7s or other figures of the 911 Turbo.

TODAY the GT-R has matured (and very quickly) and very much competes and exceeds some 997T specs but it commands a six-figure price even in a base form when all is said and done. I think the 991T won't be a game changer and the Track Edition is continuing to push so in the end, you get a $115k Nissan that competes with a $148k Porsche. Sounds about right to me, considering one is a 3100 lb german automotive icon with 50 years of heritage and engineering leading standards. That ought to cost some money and the GT-R allows it, but still isn't too far behind on cost. Not the scale we're talking with the hypothetical 'game changing' Evo XI.

Last edited by redleg225; Aug 13, 2013 at 03:16 AM.
Old Aug 13, 2013 | 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Methodical4u
It won't go 500 hp... and if you think you'd get it for in the 50's for the MR IMO you're dreaming... how about 65-70 grand.
A 65-70k car from Mitsubishi WILL not be called Lancer Evolution... that I can guarantee you.

Whatever car Mitsu brings out pumping out 500hp of mixed diesel/electric motors will be named something else... so a new Evo XI MR could most certainly be around the 50s...

I agree with u, 500hp sounds too good to be true, at least in a stock Evo for the US...
Old Aug 13, 2013 | 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jazket
A 65-70k car from Mitsubishi WILL not be called Lancer Evolution... that I can guarantee you.

Whatever car Mitsu brings out pumping out 500hp of mixed diesel/electric motors will be named something else... so a new Evo XI MR could most certainly be around the 50s...

I agree with u, 500hp sounds too good to be true, at least in a stock Evo for the US...
Agreed about the name, kinda. I don't see Mitsi producing a 500hp Lancer

My guess is that the 500hp hybrid model will be called the "Mitsubishi Evolution" and the "Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart" will step up and take the position of the current evo.
Old Aug 14, 2013 | 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

The Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV is on sale in Japan, it's AWD and has two electric motors. both rated at 80 HP and a 2.0L ICE. If you convert Yen to $, it looks like starting price is around $33K.

Just to make up numbers for fun, the current Evo X GSR is 35,790, the base Outlander is 22,995. The Outlander PHEV is 43% more expensive than the base Outlander. Extrapolating that price increase to the Evo: 1.43 X 35,790 = 51,179.

So my totally uniformed guess? Around $50K for the Evo XI or whatever they call it.
Old Aug 14, 2013 | 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WheelGap
The Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV is on sale in Japan, it's AWD and has two electric motors. both rated at 80 HP and a 2.0L ICE. If you convert Yen to $, it looks like starting price is around $33K.

Just to make up numbers for fun, the current Evo X GSR is 35,790, the base Outlander is 22,995. The Outlander PHEV is 43% more expensive than the base Outlander. Extrapolating that price increase to the Evo: 1.43 X 35,790 = 51,179.

So my totally uniformed guess? Around $50K for the Evo XI or whatever they call it.
Honestly, between the price that it will wind up being along with the bugs that will likely take at least a full year if not more to work out with pairing the electric motors to the 2.0, i'd rather just buy the 2014. Since it looks like it will be the last year for the standard petroleum engine it might wind up being worth a decent amount of money later.

Quick Reply: "Evo XI" rumors, speculations, and media reports.