Notices
Discussion / Rumors The rumored Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution XI. .What have you heard? What do you think?

"Evo XI" rumors, speculations, and media reports.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2011 | 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by FJF
Fair enough. What kind of performance can one expect, given the battery weight needed to drive such an animal at a decent rate for, say, 200 miles and how will its dynamics respond to such a treatment? The auto industry, in general, works on a 4 year model. A car, as presented on the showroom floor, is ready 4 years before it is seen by the public. At the very least, it has to be ready 2 years before release, so there is no magic want that will change the current state of technology in the time of its development. There's an old saying, "There's nothing that can't be fixed with money and a judicious use of explosives." Mitsubishi can certainly throw some money into the project, use composite materials, situate the power cells low in the chassis. If you're willing to pay for that, great.
Define pay for that. One reason a good mileage EVO would work for me is because I commute 30 miles each way to work. With the price of gas(or diesel for that matter) the increased mileage alone helps pay for itself.

As for hybrids, Porsche is showing what hybrids can do in the racing architecture.
Old Oct 26, 2011 | 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fittest
I don't care what YOU did. In 3 years, every Evo IX owner will be driving an 8 year old car. I hope you'd have enough money by then to buy another car, Evo or not.
Originally Posted by ZCHF
Define pay for that. One reason a good mileage EVO would work for me is because I commute 30 miles each way to work. With the price of gas(or diesel for that matter) the increased mileage alone helps pay for itself.

As for hybrids, Porsche is showing what hybrids can do in the racing architecture.
We may be pleasantly surprised by in the end. At least I hope so.
Old Oct 26, 2011 | 08:29 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ZCHF
Like I said, if it works for you, great.

Is that what we're discussing: Dedicated, singular machines built by a team with an annual budget towering one's entire lifetime income?

Last edited by FJF; Oct 26, 2011 at 08:31 AM. Reason: typo
Old Oct 26, 2011 | 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Check the rules for compression ignition vs spark ignition engines.
I have never seen a series with a level playing field.

I have seen turbo charged diesels engines vs atmospheric gasoline engines and diesel engines allowed much larger displacement than gasoline engines.

Regarding performance the means matters to me not just the ends.
I have seen an electric car that maintains peak torque from 0 to the maximum rpm. That is very impressive, potentially a joy to drive.
I do not want one.

I would not mind diesel as my daily driver and to lug around my family, but when I go to the track, I prefer something less agricultural.

I have the October edition of Diesel Power, I bought it because I was intrigued by some segments on Power Block.
A 6000 lb pick up truck with sequential turbos running a standing quarter in 12's is very impressive.
I do not want one of those either.
Old Oct 26, 2011 | 08:38 AM

well whats wrong with hydrogen? all the emissions are water, and hydrogen is pretty potent stuff.
Old Oct 26, 2011 | 08:50 AM
AFD
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by apagan01
every old timmer knows the evos were ruinned when they came out with the evo X
I'm pretty sure the X is doing better than the IX in PWRC this year, but nice trollling..

Mitsu should get back into motorsports and let competition dictate what changes, if any, are needed for success.. and if the XI ends up not being used for rally racing at all, even by privateers, it will not be desired by Evo fans - and therefore, consumers in general.

Again, just my opinion.
Old Oct 26, 2011 | 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AFD
I'm pretty sure the X is doing better than the IX in PWRC this year, but nice trollling..

Mitsu should get back into motorsports and let competition dictate what changes, if any, are needed for success.. and if the XI ends up not being used for rally racing at all, even by privateers, it will not be desired by Evo fans - and therefore, consumers in general.

Again, just my opinion.
http://www.worldrallyranking.com/ran...&Tipo=3&Home=1
Old Oct 26, 2011 | 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by migs647
One of the main reasons I was attracted to the Evo in the first place is because of 's amazing innovation. They always pushed it, traction control, engine performance, suspension and handling, chassis. They pack in so much innovation into a great package for a great price.

I'm just saying, until the car is out people need to be more open minded and see what actually happens. If the car sucks and has major flaws, then by all means, tear it apart. But to be *****ing at this point in time is putting the cart before the horse.
that's definitely true. the x's performance definitely shut most people up in terms of the limits of the car. i didn't read the thread enough to see that people were putting down the new car, i just assumed they were expressing hopes that we would be returning to the days of the evos 4-6, but that i guess is just dreaming.

one thing for sure is, mitsu wont release the car if it's significantly worse than the previous evos..
in other words they will design the car to handle well and go 0-60 under 5 seconds, and not release it until then, so performance will always be on par - i'm not worried about the performance, just hope the driving and feel is in line with the other cars, including the X

in any case i'm more than satisfied with my ix in terms of power and the way it handles.. why do other ct9a evo guys care so much? just keep your car

Last edited by kyoo; Oct 26, 2011 at 09:01 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2011 | 09:14 AM
AFD
Evolved Member

Pretty sure I said PWRC..

http://www.wrc.com/pwrc/results/2011...dings/drivers/ (You can cross-reference w/info here).

Current standings have the STi in 1st & 2nd, followed by an X in 3rd, and an IX in 4th.

Either way, they're both doing good.. was just making a point to the Amsoil guy that the X wasn't "ruined".

It was awesome to see both Evo platforms being shown in WRC coverage the past two weeks
Old Oct 26, 2011 | 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

Honestly, this is the first time I skip reading a thread because of retardness. And huge amounts of it too!

Quotes like this make my blood boil!! :

emissions r a joke and for the government to impose such dumb laws just for a way to tax us more and place fear in dumb ppl who think the world will implode because i have
death shooting out my exhaust.

Death IS shooting out your exhaust! Slow, painful death! Only because you don't see it doesn't mean it's not there. They used to make cars run on leaded fuel, and that was awful. Well technology made this unnecessary, thank God! This is humanity trying to save what's left of the earth, because our kids will need some ressources to keep on living. Now I'm no tree-hugging hippie, but I definitely care about what kind of place I will leave for my kids to live on.

Some of the comments here were right on. Mitsubishi doesn't sell Lancers because of the Evo, it's the other way around. Everytime they announce a slight change in the Evo, 90% of the comments are how the previous generation is better than the next one. Well in Evolution it says Evolution, so it needs to move forward.

I've been looking forward to the hybrid Evo since they first came out with the idea (there has been a VIII prototype, which was dropped). They are currently working on the iMiev electric car in collaboration with Hydro-Québec here, and toying with the wheel-engine for a while. I absolutely can't wait for it to be released on the market(wheel-engine).

What would you guys say if I offered you a car that would allow to control how the power was put down in an infinitly tunable way, that would put almost 100% of it's hp's down, could allow you to achieve a perfect 25% corner weight balance, all of that using 1/4 the fuel your car uses.

Imagine the possibilities, having 4 seperate engines powering the wheels, no more transmissions, and incredibly awesome AWD. Like a 100 times better than actual systems, because each wheel could be controlled independantly from each other.

Also, Europe (Mercedes, BMW, Peugeot, Audi, etc.) and Asia has been producing awesome diesel engines, and North Americans are the only ones resisting to it. I say it's good news that we finally get a piece of that cake. If you wantto rev the **** out of an engine, buy Hondas. If you want power AND handling, buy an Evo. Civic's Si have struggled alot in the few past years, what a joke 2.0L's pushing 197 hp (but they rev to 8k, maaan!). Mazdaspeed 3's were doing 263, WRX's 265, even cobalts were in the 260hp range. But what is the next step to break the 300hp OEM 4 cyl barrier?

This my friends, exactly this. Hybrids.

TL;DR : /L2 R10.
Old Oct 26, 2011 | 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by blue4uevo8
So when do we stop catering to the lowest common denominator (lowest IQ.) and start pushing things forward in this country? Survival of the fittest man, if you don't know what your doing take it to some one who does.

Thanks... So much thanks... You sir, with this comment, gave me back my faith in humanity.

When old stubborn people will die from being old, young open-minded people will hopefully take their place.
Old Oct 26, 2011 | 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by 2006_RA
Check the rules for compression ignition vs spark ignition engines.
I have never seen a series with a level playing field.

I have seen turbo charged diesels engines vs atmospheric gasoline engines and diesel engines allowed much larger displacement than gasoline engines.

Regarding performance the means matters to me not just the ends.
I have seen an electric car that maintains peak torque from 0 to the maximum rpm. That is very impressive, potentially a joy to drive.
I do not want one.

I would not mind diesel as my daily driver and to lug around my family, but when I go to the track, I prefer something less agricultural.

I have the October edition of Diesel Power, I bought it because I was intrigued by some segments on Power Block.
A 6000 lb pick up truck with sequential turbos running a standing quarter in 12's is very impressive.
I do not want one of those either.
Well it looks like if they make it a diesel/hybrid, you're F'd...haha

It's kinda hilarious though...as time progresses people are hesitant to change. For the longest time, it was assumed there was no replacement for displacement and bigger was always better. Then FI came along and changed the way cars were perceived. Now diesels and hybrids are the bastard children and getting no love.

It's human nature to hold on to what you know, but don't fear the future!
Old Oct 26, 2011 | 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by golgo13
I'll stick with my IX, thanks.

No evolving going on for me.
^ this... Love my IX!!!
Old Oct 26, 2011 | 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fittest
I don't care what YOU did. In 3 years, every Evo IX owner will be driving an 8 year old car. I hope you'd have enough money by then to buy another car, Evo or not.
Thank god the automotive world does not think like you. 8 yr old car?? Seriously.

I can think of some 30-50 year old cars I'd own in a heartbeat. Pops has a couple gorgeous 40 yr olds.
Old Oct 26, 2011 | 10:42 AM

...seems like the Evo is going the route of the Eclipse *_* They started off with something great and then turned over R&D to the guys in the mail room. Someone made a correct statement earlier; watch the value of your Evos rise and maintain value when this thing comes out...

Quick Reply: "Evo XI" rumors, speculations, and media reports.