Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

11.232@123.806 stock turbo

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2004, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MalibuJack
Curt, I know you probably posted this in another thread, but what clutch are you running? I know my stocker won't hold up more than 2 or three runs when I finally get to shake down my car..
Using the Exedy standard twin disc. The car is maxed out on power on this little turbo, it's all in off the line traction now to run a better time(or a real track like Norwalk or Maple Grove!). The stock tires are just to stiff, I tried 30 psi and 28 psi, didn't matter spun all through first into second.
Old Nov 8, 2004, 07:43 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CBRE
Works has two models now, I went with the 65mm vs the 62mm. The 62mm will work with the stock manifold with no modification, you will have to port to match for the 65mm. With the Magnus(Buschur) sheetmetal it is a easy direct swap, and yes it made a difference. Oh, when I say "ported turbo" that means I removed the stock turbo and port matched it to the exhaust manifold and O2 housing, took about an hour, not much to do on the EVO setup compared to the DSM 16g and 14b style turbo's.
I use the Works TB also - its a very good unit and no reliability issues like you can get on other aftermarket TB's
Old Nov 8, 2004, 05:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Simply amazing Curt. Now just put a tire on that machine and run a ten.

Bean
Old Nov 8, 2004, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mr. Brown,
What is an ignition amplifier? I saw that you were installing that in one of your earlier posts. Why is that needed?
Old Nov 8, 2004, 08:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Smogrunner
Mr. Brown,
What is an ignition amplifier? I saw that you were installing that in one of your earlier posts. Why is that needed?
Consistency.. a good ignition system can find lost power due to misfire or incomplete combustion.. makes a difference.. It also helps the car not misfire at idle with colder plugs.
Old Nov 8, 2004, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Mr. Brown,
Have you had your car dynoed in its present state of tune? What has it put down?
Old Nov 8, 2004, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

good numbers for running stock turbo are you using NOS ?
Old Nov 8, 2004, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MalibuJack
Regardless of if the turbo is massaged, its still "Stock".. I know of Curt's exploits, if anyone can run a 10, he can.. 124mph, thats just amazing.

I don't understand why some people just cannot accept the fact that regardless of if his turbo is massaged, its still a stock-ish turbo..

I can imagine the crap you guys are going to give me when I finally make a few runs in april or may next year.
COMMENT EDITED

Is the turbo considered "stockish" if it has the Frankenstein/20g compressor wheel but still retains the stock housing??

Is a 50 shot of NOS considered "old school DSM tricks" in your neck of the woods??

The stock turbo will only flow so much CFM; not enough IMHO to flow 124mph no matter what other accessories and parts you throw at it.
Just my 1.5 cents.
The man ran the times, that I don't doubt; just not all the "details" are being revealed.

Last edited by Speedlimit; Nov 9, 2004 at 05:15 AM.
Old Nov 8, 2004, 08:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Well, all I can say is I know what I've done, and what modifications I've made to get my results, so I'm 100% confident that you can do this with old school power tricks, no NOS or anything like that.. Thats why I have no doubt that he's capable of his times with those mods.. Its still an evo twin scroll turbo.. As far as I can tell, he has done alot of optimizing of what is there, you have to appreciate the value of that.. It also proves theres more there to be had before you have to throw on a giant turbo..

The different approach is, big turbo is like a stampede through a doorway, you can get your volume by people just rushing through and forcing their way in.. or you can let them in in a very organized manner, by optimizing what he has, the door may not be much larger, but the crowd is more organized and able to get to dance on the pistons easier..
Old Nov 8, 2004, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

very impressive!
Old Nov 8, 2004, 10:09 PM

Well, I have tried to stay out of the last tread and this one. But this is just crap!

Curt is very respected in the DSM world. He would not straight out lie if he used slicks or NOS. He would state just that! I KNOW him very well! I KNOW how sick his tune is and has always been! He once stated that you were not lean enough unless the straps on the plugs were missing. Going fast is not rocket science. There are a bunch of small things that Curt does to his car that seem meaning less to MOST or the in the know guys, say that does not work don't bother trying it. Curt uses them and they add up and work! Curt also maxes out every aspect of the car!

MOST people will not ever come close to the times Curt runs. It takes a NO FEAR attitude to spending money, tuning, DRIVING! Curt does them all with a F*** IT attitude. It will go fast or break!

Just to point out again that Curt did run 120-121 on a SMALL 16G! This is also the 4th car Curt has run times and MPH that no one thought could be done.

Just keep saying it is not possible! Wait till the big turbo goes on! Oh wait the car will have to be gutted and have nitrous to be that fast! Whatever, I am done!
Old Nov 8, 2004, 10:29 PM
Evolved Member

Mr. Brown,
I'm just curious. What do you think an evo with this Turbo could achieve? Could it be made to bolt on to the stock exhaust manifold and O2 housing of an evo?
http://linux.forcedperformance.net/m...Code=DSM-Turbo
Old Nov 8, 2004, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

no sir
Old Nov 8, 2004, 10:49 PM
Evolved Member

Mr. Brown,
I'm just curious. What do you think an evo with this Turbo could achieve? Could it be made to bolt on to the stock exhaust manifold and O2 housing of an evo?
The Green has proven its effectiveness on numerous 1G and 2G DSM applications. Curt Brown's 1G AWD race car ran a 10.7 @ 130mph with no nitrous.

Old Nov 9, 2004, 03:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mr. Brown,
That was my favorite turbo of all times, it actually went 11.4@135 at the 2002 DSM shoot out on my FWD. But with new technology nowdays there are other turbo's that can preform better on the EVO than the FP Green, but as for street performance the 50 trim wheel that turbo has punches some serious pumpgas midrange, it may be the best pumpgas turbo out there.

Alright cat out of the bag, I have a bigger turbo lined up for the car, but will hold off installing it for a month or so, I will be pulling the head off the car for a special port job and some other stuff(please don't ask) and while im at it getting rid of the balance shafts and maybe slapping some pistons and rods in there. At that point I may venture somewhat south and run a better time on the stock turbo, since it's going to snow here this week! BTW enough of the NOS questions, never used it and may never ever use it.

Second, I do not recommend trying to duplicate the state of tune of my car, it is on the very edge of tune(note mild splatter on plugs, audible ping going down track), and this is on pure VP C-16 race gas, boost is spiking to 24 and bleeding off to 20 by 7500 RPM.

Thats all hope this anwsers some questions.

Quick Reply: 11.232@123.806 stock turbo