Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

time for 1/8 and 1/4 mile trap speed - miles per hour / mph

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2004, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Z2EVO
do you have a boost gauge? some people have complained that their evos did not hit 19psi in stock configuration
yes i do , the boost i am running is normal. it doesnt hold at 19 , it will spike there, but then just taper down to like 16-17.
Old Dec 18, 2004, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fourdoor
Some EVO's are just slower than others stock.
exactly, thats what i think i have. but trying to figure what makes one evo fast and the other slower? they are all built the same way.
Old Dec 18, 2004, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds to me like something is a little off. Check your pipes, make sure all clamps are tight, get a gauge if you don't already haver one to moniter boost. What type of gas are you running, 91or 93. How many miles on your car? Is your clutch slipping, that could cause alot of problems. Stock you should be in the 13's. No offense but that is the worst time I have ever seen. Hopefully we can help you figure this out. What do other Evo's in your area run?

Shane
Old Dec 18, 2004, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 3000ways
Burningmoney- What the heck is wrong with your EVO??? I don't think it is 14.8 slow, but even with improvements you won't see any thing better than low 14s, a possible high 13. Still fourdoor has proven that alittle modifying can solve your problems (with more experience racing).
true , but how can i get a faster top mph? would a better air to fuel ratio help this problem? i know i could throw on some mods to get this done, but trying to figure what i could do to get this stock evo to run its supposedly 1/4 mile mph.
Old Dec 18, 2004, 10:13 AM
Evolving Member

By the way a 2.1 60 is not so good. You cut a 1.8 and you will knock roughly 6 tenths off your quarter. Every tenth down low is about 2/10's up top. Also alot of guys lose a good bit of time in the 1-2 shift as that is the hardest shift to do fast when you race. Pretty sure I could drive your car to around a 14.0-14.2 but still there seems to be something up .

Shane
Old Dec 18, 2004, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by watchout
Sounds to me like something is a little off. Check your pipes, make sure all clamps are tight, What type of gas are you running, 91or 93. How many miles on your car? Is your clutch slipping, that could cause alot of problems. Stock you should be in the 13's. No offense but that is the worst time I have ever seen. Hopefully we can help you figure this out. What do other Evo's in your area run?

Shane
-been over most the pipes, nothing loose

- i am running 92 octane

- 3500 miles

- clutch seems to hold , i get good 60 foot times (less than 2 seconds) so i dont think the clutch would give out when i am driving the rest of the distance

- i have seen other evos in my area run in the low 14s to high 13s stock @ 96 mph. this track is a little slow compared to the mainland

thanks for any help
Old Dec 18, 2004, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by burningmoney97
exactly, thats what i think i have. but trying to figure what makes one evo fast and the other slower? they are all built the same way.
First of all, your case is not very unusual. There are tons of guys getting similar performance from their EVOs. I too had a slow EVO. The times you had are very similar to my '03 GSR. Don't go with what other ppl post on this board (or any other) until you know what is going on with your car.

I would strongly suggest taking your car to a DD dyno and getting some good information before taking any action to modify your car. Many of these slower EVOs suffer from some kind of knock or something that the ECU "thinks" is knock. In these cars, the ECU pulls timing like crazy to "protect" the engine and the car will never be really fast until this situation is corrected.

When you take your car to the dyno or at least find a way to do some good data logging, you'll see what the engine is doing. Only then can you begin to take corrective action. Likely as not, you'll have to either spend lots of bucks chasing down and correcting the issue or spending more bucks for nothing by modifying the car to try to get more power.

IMHO, based on expensive "education", I'd suggest you run like the wind form any tuner who promises to modify your car into high performance before determinig and correcting whatever is causing the low performance now. I'd particularly be wary of any mail order "miracle cure". Also, bolt-ons will be a waste of money too since they cannot correct the timing pull issue. You can also consider taking the car to the dealer after you have proof of unusual performance such as timing pulled and request they either take the car back or correct it. You sure as hell wont be able to do that if you modify the car first.

Last edited by silverEVO8; Dec 18, 2004 at 10:27 AM.
Old Dec 18, 2004, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

By the way a 2.1 60 is not so good. You cut a 1.8 and you will knock roughly 6 tenths off your quarter. Every tenth down low is about 2/10's up top. Also alot of guys lose a good bit of time in the 1-2 shift as that is the hardest shift to do fast when you race. Pretty sure I could drive your car to around a 14.0-14.2 but still there seems to be something up .

Shane
here is another time slip with a better 60 foot , but a worse mph???

.664 - reaction
1.990 - 60 foot
9.142 - 1/8 mile et
75.16 - 1/8 mile time
14.633 - 1/4 et
89.46 - 1/4 mph

its like my 3 and especially 4th gear dont have the power to reach the 95 plus mph? is their some kind of fuel cut out at this speed? some restrictor? something wrong with the ecu to die at higher mph? something is not right with my top mph speed- cant figure why i am not reaching at least 95mph!
Old Dec 18, 2004, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVIL MR
a run 13.3 at 101mph 60' is in the 1.7 not higher then that but i can not mack the car go any faster then 101 i have hks catback avc-r set at 20 and hks rs
at least you can break 100mph. how were you running without the mods?
Old Dec 18, 2004, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by silverEVO8
First of all, your case is not very unusual. There are tons of guys getting similar performance from their EVOs. I too had a slow EVO. The times you had are very similar to my '03 GSR. Don't go with what other ppl post on this board (or any other) until you know what is going on with your car.

I would strongly suggest taking your car to a DD dyno and getting some good information before taking any action to modify your car. Many of these slower EVOs suffer from some kind of knock or something that the ECU "thinks" is knock. In these cars, the ECU pulls timing like crazy to "protect" the engine and the car will never be really fast until this situation is corrected.

When you take your car to the dyno or at least find a way to do some good data logging, you'll see what the engine is doing. Only then can you begin to take corrective action. Likely as not, you'll have to either spend lots of bucks chasing down and correcting the issue or spending more bucks for nothing by modifying the car to try to get more power.

IMHO, based on expensive "education", I'd suggest you run like the wind form any tuner who promises to modify your car into high performance before determinig and correcting whatever is causing the low performance now. I'd particularly be wary of any mail order "miracle cure". Also, bolt-ons will be a waste of money too since they cannot correct the timing pull issue. You can also consider taking the car to the dealer after you have proof of unusual performance such as timing pulled and request they either take the car back or correct it. You sure as hell wont be able to do that if you modify the car first.
He may be onto something here. There have been a ton of posts about how some Evo's love timing and others hate it and pull timing like crazy which kills performance. You may also have a car that is ridiculously pig rich from the factory. If you have a noisy motor that is setting off the knock protection that could be a problem. The only real way to find out is a tuner. See him before you do anything to the car at all and let him go over it. I doubt you have a lemon, sounds like something needs adjusting, thats all. Make sure your o2 isn't bad.

Shane
Old Dec 18, 2004, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by silverEVO8

ty for the great post - i guess it comes down to my timing at high mph. the computer is doing something. unfortunately there is no 4wd dyno on this rock. and i also dont like the miracle cures. will have to find a different way.

what would you think if i replaced the timing belt or some adjustable cam gears?
Old Dec 18, 2004, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Make sure your o2 isn't bad.

Shane
so a bad o2 sensor would cause the ecu to kill the engine to keep it safe?
Old Dec 18, 2004, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by burningmoney97
at least you can break 100mph. how were you running without the mods?
13.6 at 96mph
Old Dec 18, 2004, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

My mistake for not paying attention to where you are from, Hawaii has got to be up there with the slowest drag strips in the country. Not just EVOs, but times there are just pathetic. You point this out when you said all other EVOs (stock) were running high 13s to low 14s, and yeah that's about average for island. the second thing is your driving, it needs to improve, the way you launch and shift need to improve. Better driving will not only improve your times but also your trap speed. Combine slow track, with inexperience driving and what do you get, a 14.6-14.8 EVO...
Old Dec 18, 2004, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 3000ways
My mistake for not paying attention to where you are from, Hawaii has got to be up there with the slowest drag strips in the country. Not just EVOs, but times there are just pathetic. You point this out when you said all other EVOs (stock) were running high 13s to low 14s, and yeah that's about average for island. the second thing is your driving, it needs to improve, the way you launch and shift need to improve. Better driving will not only improve your times but also your trap speed. Combine slow track, with inexperience driving and what do you get, a 14.6-14.8 EVO...
i am glad you understand , but what about the mph at the finish? shouldnt i be getting at least 95? how can my shifting be slowing down my car? other evos have been getting over 95 and the trap but i still lag below that mark. gotta be something in the ecu

Quick Reply: time for 1/8 and 1/4 mile trap speed - miles per hour / mph