Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

1998 LS1 v. 2005 Evo 8

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2005, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get cams, fuel pump and head studs and get tuned then go race him.
Old Aug 13, 2005, 12:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
rt turbo -BS
Old Aug 13, 2005, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Most-Wanted
rt turbo -BS
your a retard. ive been racing those for years. they arent that fast. i strait up pulled him in my s4. not by much, but my s4 runs 12.70s. this guy runs 13.2. he said his car is putting down 325 to the wheels. the s4 is torquier than my evo when it was similarly modded. its a better highway runner than the evo.

Last edited by rt turbo; Aug 13, 2005 at 10:07 AM.
Old Aug 13, 2005, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Bone stock LS1's run 13.6. So, your telling me the one you raced only run's 13.2 with all those mods. You are so full of ****. Those mods on an LS1 will put that car in the 11's no problem. There are cam only cars in the 10's. But the stories are great so keep telling them

Oh and just so you don't think I'm hating, I love the S4. But there is no way in hell a LS1 w/ those mods is only running a 13.2. My friend just ran his bone stock one here in S Florida and went 12.9 w/ a set of drag radials. Sorry, I'm not buying it.
Old Aug 13, 2005, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go to ls1tech.com and read what people are running and come back to me. Just a little FYI Chris's EVO "Black EVO with all the vids" raced a Fbod with exhaust, 150shot, and heads/cam.

Chris was not on race gas, but 24.5 psi still a easy 450whp car and lost both races from a stop and a roll. Before anyone get's their panties in a wad...Chris's car is badarse and I'd take it over any Fbod, but that Fbod had 6K in it........and ran 10.90's and he is nowhere near the fastest Fbod for the mods it has.

Go read Ls1tech.com 10's on a autoed Fbod a grandmother could do all for under 6K.
Old Aug 13, 2005, 01:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rt turbo
your a retard. ive been racing those for years. they arent that fast. i strait up pulled him in my s4. not by much, but my s4 runs 12.70s. this guy runs 13.2. he said his car is putting down 325 to the wheels. the s4 is torquier than my evo when it was similarly modded. its a better highway runner than the evo.
He put down 325 with those mods and a CAM?! That must be the worst cam ever. Even if he had one of the lower dynoing LS1's, it shouldnt have done much lower than 290rwhp stock. 35rwhp increase with those mods is horrible. You sure it isnt an LT1?
Old Aug 13, 2005, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Are you sure your talking about one of these or was it a Dodge pick up you raced?

Old Aug 13, 2005, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I finally made it back to Michigan. That was one long a$$ boring drive, but I am here.

I agree, a with cam and the rest of those mods an LS1 will run 360+ whp. And deep in the 12's / high to mid 11's (with a good driver) .

We are tuning this week and running Friday afternoon. Also, my brother is going to dyno his car Tues or Wed to get his numbers. Ill update when I have that info.
Old Aug 13, 2005, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

lol, not a pick up. anyways, it is a true story, but i laughed when i was told 325 whp. i also thought it would do much more. it was an ls1, and i really doubt just a camed ls1 and nothing else will do 10s. maybe gutted with a 4 link and slicks with 13.1 compression pistons hes not disclosing. ive heard stories of these so called stock ls1s running 12.9, or cam intake and exhaust ls1's running 11's or 10s, but ive never seen it and im at beech bend raceway nearly every weekend. beech bend is a well known nhra drag strip in bowling green ky. still if there are these ls1 running this, that is track trip not street trim. i know a car that has a 1.5 second difference between track and street trim. he runs 11.3 with a 175 shot on his 01 cobra with slicks race fuel and cutters up front, with pump gas of course he couldnt run the 175, but he did shoot 150 and ran 12.8 on street tires. these cars only run this fast preped. its very possible he cant drive his car anyways. this isnt some fabricated story, but it is likely it was running badly. i did laugh at the fact it was only putting 325 to the ground.
Old Aug 13, 2005, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

I do agree the 325 may be off a bit and am just playin around with you. What year S4 did you have, because those things are sweet. Some LS1's are very fast though and shouldn't be underestimated. I did watch my friend run a 12.9 on DR's or slicks? in a bone stock 2002 SS. Probably like anything, depends on driver. That same car run's 9's now and believe it or not he drives it back and forth from Florida to Texas.

Oh yeah, 12.2@113 is impressive with only 340whp. Good run
Old Aug 20, 2005, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Update

UPDATE

Weather Conditions: about 80 degrees, mild humidity, sunny.

Milan Dragway seems to be a slower track. My brother and I were one of the few street cars there. Most where heavy modded draggers, with slicks and whatnot. They had the track prepped for them. Both of us were surprised by the results. Even the fastest cars there were breaking out of their bracket times. Running slower, we saw a Novi SS with a bracket time of 11.24 run an 11.82.

I changed out to the ACT clutch early in the week, my stocker has 80% left to it, and so that’s now the official backup. I do like the ACT similar to my previous cars clutch, very low hookup and much grabbier. I didn’t think the stocker could handle track use. And Id rather replace something before I am stuck somewhere.

I practiced launching after the clutch was broken in, and had it moving with out bogging fine in the practice runs. However, on the track doing the same launches I would get about 20 feet then bog out.

I was using the 5K limiter as my sorta stutter box, building 5-8 psi boost. Feathering out the clutch, then pulling it back quickly, but not popping. Squealing all the tires for about 20 feet then I would lose everything. RPM dropped and tires hooked.

Here is my best run:

Reaction: .57
60 ft: 2.03
330 ft: 5.71
1/8 ET: 8.79
1/8 MPH: 79.66
1000’ ET: 11.42
1/4 ET: 13.65
1/4 MPH: 102.25

v. My brothers best:

Reaction: .33
60 ft: 2.08
330 ft: 5.75
1/8 ET: 8.69
1/8 MPH: 84.44
1000’ ET: 11.22
1/4 ET: 13.36
1/4 MPH: 105.63

So that’s the bests. Yep he beat me. Head to head it was 3-1 him. But when everything went right I had 3 cars on him to half track then he catches up very quickly.

Its going to be a long drive back. I will be going to Englishtown to run some more. Got to get those times down.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad it finally happened! Now you know where you stand.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

update on my ls1 race in my s4. last night i raced a mildly modded ls1 SS and we were neck and neck. i believe the z28 i raced should have been faster than this guy by what was on the car, and i pulled the z28 and not the ss. the ss had k&n intake, flowmaster w/ strait pipes, and a chip.

btw, smike evo. you need to feather your launches out more. if your grabbing enough at 5 grand and the clutch has enough grip not to slip, try 5500. still feather it out. sounds like its limping up top. my evo when similarly modded and launched at 4700 would break loose and continue to smack rev limiter until it hooked. i also had a lightweight flywheel in. 1st gear lasted about 1.5 seconds... but i was at 40 by then. still though, something sound off with your car, not to be rude. im trying to help. you should be trapping 108+mph with 318 whp. also, your car is instant 12's with a 1.8 60'. you should at least be at a 1.8 practice your launches, trust me, that clutch has a sweet spot. your car will take off like a bullet from a gun. when you spin then bogg, sound like you dont have the timing down with the clutch releaase and flooring it. floor the hell out of it about .3 seconds before the clutch is out. your not getting enough boost to the motor before the clutch is out and you loose power which is why your bogging. you should be able to smoke a 13.3 ls1.

also, race him from a roll and see how you fan out. your car should be able to also walk a 105 mph rear drive. i ran 114 mph with only 22 more whp than you.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 03:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Most-Wanted
Are you sure your talking about one of these or was it a Dodge pick up you raced?

That is Icon's racecar at hmp. This car is for sale right now . I know a daily driver dodge pickup that would drag 98% of the evo's on here. It has 4wd and rolls out harder than any truck I have seen on the street. Houston does it big.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rt turbo

btw, smike evo. you need to feather your launches out more. if your grabbing enough at 5 grand and the clutch has enough grip not to slip, try 5500. still feather it out. sounds like its limping up top. my evo when similarly modded and launched at 4700 would break loose and continue to smack rev limiter until it hooked. i also had a lightweight flywheel in. 1st gear lasted about 1.5 seconds... but i was at 40 by then. still though, something sound off with your car, not to be rude. im trying to help. you should be trapping 108+mph with 318 whp. also, your car is instant 12's with a 1.8 60'. you should at least be at a 1.8 practice your launches, trust me, that clutch has a sweet spot. your car will take off like a bullet from a gun. when you spin then bogg, sound like you dont have the timing down with the clutch releaase and flooring it. floor the hell out of it about .3 seconds before the clutch is out. your not getting enough boost to the motor before the clutch is out and you loose power which is why your bogging. you should be able to smoke a 13.3 ls1.

also, race him from a roll and see how you fan out. your car should be able to also walk a 105 mph rear drive. i ran 114 mph with only 22 more whp than you.
No I agree, I may have a boost leak, I was hitting 20 psi, but at redline it was about 15 psi, and felt like it was pulling timing. It may be my upper IC clamps, I had to take them off for the clutch install. I havent worked on it yet. I couldnt even tickle 12's and I know I have the hp to get there.

I went out that night to a deserted side road and practiced starts. This ACT clutch def. does have a sweet spot. I am much better with it now. I have to slip it a bit more than I was doing, then rolling into full pedal. Takes off like a bullet. I wasnt a fan of how that track was preped, seemed like there was too much tire tack down, the high HP cars were there, but on street cars its like velco. And I wasnt on race gas. My brother agrued that it wasnt a true test if I was running racing fuel. So I ran 93 oct. But I should have added some and left boost at 20psi, just for the probable knock.

Also, since it was Woodward Dream Cruise, my brother and I went out again. Before we got went out to WDC we got set up. (And not to advicate street racing, but this was a private road on our property (1/8 mi), so its technically my road) On the street he cant even touch my car. I launched at 3500 rpm with my improved technique. I had 3 or 4 cars on him by 60 mph, then we let off. When we where cruising to get to the WDC on the freeway, when he rolls at 60 mph, and I do also, I pull to 70 much quicker (4th gear).

So I know if we when heads up on the street I would smoke him. Hes tires hook much differently on the street than on the track. He has a real hard time getting them to stick on street. 1st gear usually walks everywhere, and 2nd will get traction.

Next time I drive out there I will go to Lapeer Dragway, kinda old school, but may be better.

Last edited by Smike; Aug 22, 2005 at 07:12 AM. Reason: I cant spell

Quick Reply: 1998 LS1 v. 2005 Evo 8