Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

1998 LS1 v. 2005 Evo 8

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2005, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
No I agree, I may have a boost leak, I was hitting 20 psi, but at redline it was about 15 psi, and felt like it was pulling timing. It may be my upper IC clamps, I had to take them off for the clutch install. I havent worked on it yet. I couldnt even tickle 12's and I know I have the hp to get there.

I went out that night to a deserted side road and practiced starts. This ACT clutch def. does have a sweet spot. I am much better with it now. I have to slip it a bit more than I was doing, then rolling into full pedal. Takes off like a bullet. I wasnt a fan of how that track was preped, seemed like there was too much tire tack down, the high HP cars were there, but on street cars its like velco. And I wasnt on race gas. My brother agrued that it wasnt a true test if I was running racing fuel. So I ran 93 oct. But I should have added some and left boost at 20psi, just for the probable knock.

Also, since it was Woodward Dream Cruise, my brother and I went out again. Before we got went out to WDC we got set up. (And not to advicate street racing, but this was a private road on our property (1/8 mi), so its technically my road) On the street he cant even touch my car. I launched at 3500 rpm with my improved technique. I had 3 or 4 cars on him by 60 mph, then we let off. When we where cruising to get to the WDC on the freeway, when he rolls at 60 mph, and I do also, I pull to 70 much quicker (4th gear).

So I know if we when heads up on the street I would smoke him. Hes tires hook much differently on the street than on the track. He has a real hard time getting them to stick on street. 1st gear usually walks everywhere, and 2nd will get traction.

Next time I drive out there I will go to Lapeer Dragway, kinda old school, but may be better.

yes, you should be able to hold 21 at least to redline. are you tuned for 93 or race gas? if tuned for 93, you should have no problem and no timing retard until 23-24 psi. how many times have you changed your gass since its been acting this way? i had watered down gas once and it knocked so much it went into safe mode. wasw it doing this when you dynoed it? when was the last time it was running full?
Old Aug 22, 2005, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

another thing, i see your running the bpr7 NGK's. if you think your knocking, run the 8's. also, whats your spark gap? you should be running .026 at the most with your mods and stock ignition. you may be blowing out spark. describe what its doing when it looses boost.

also, change your bov. the greddy spring can only hold 18psi. unless you are running an R spring, you are not going to hold 18 lbs very long. do you hear it open? also, go ahead and close the loop, just run a hose like the stock diverter valve into your intake so it recirculates if you havent already. dont worry, you will still hear the sound just the same.

Last edited by rt turbo; Aug 22, 2005 at 11:21 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I remember it holding 20 psi to redline before the work. it is tuned for 93. it might have been some crappy gas, it felt stronger on my way back to NJ. Seemed bit sluggish in Michigan. I blow threw gas every 2 days or so, I have a long drive, about 550 a week. Still with the tapper though.

It was dynoed at TT here in NJ, about 2 months ago.

It doesnt stutter, but up to it seems to go numb and fat. Feels strong to about 5.5K then I get tapper to 15-16psi. Near redline it feels like it losses all its steam, almost like a NA motor. My plugs are gapped to .027. .028 was too much, so I came off them a bit.

I recheck all my hoses and clamps tonight. And I am running the BOV recir.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

hmm. any smoke out the exhaust?
Old Aug 22, 2005, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

My brothers friend was taping it, I didnt see any smoke (white or black). But normally at full tilt it will smoke black. 2005s stock ran 21.8 psi, so 22 on my gauge, right now its around 19-20. I am going to tighten everything and turn up the boost to 20-21 tonight.

I was cooling the engine down between runs. Opening the hood and letting it sit at idle.

Q for you. My mind is going, but the MBC should hold the boost at 20 till redline - correct? I dont flog it to much on the street, and if I do, I cant look at the gauge to watch it at redline.

I think I have a good sized leak, then I am running super fat up top without the boost for the fuel. Did shoot some flames though.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My brothers friend was taping it, I didnt see any smoke (white or black). But normally at full tilt it will smoke black. 2005s stock ran 21.8 psi, so 22 on my gauge, right now its around 19-20. I am going to tighten everything and turn up the boost to 20-21 tonight.

I was cooling the engine down between runs. Opening the hood and letting it sit at idle.

Q for you. My mind is going, but the MBC should hold the boost at 20 till redline - correct? I dont flog it to much on the street, and if I do, I cant look at the gauge to watch it at redline.

I think I have a good sized leak, then I am running super fat up top without the boost for the fuel. Did shoot some flames though.
Stock boost is 20.3, and that's only peak.

With an MBC, you still don't necessarily hold 20psi to redline, because the stock turbo naturally tapers after 6500. To hold 20psi at redline, you'll need to be spiking to 22 or so, and this is only if you are referring to the artificial redline of 7k rpm. I refer to redline as the point at which we hit the rev limiter (7600 rpm). By 7600 rpm, I taper down to 18-19...
Old Aug 22, 2005, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Ah thank you for the numbers. I just remember it being higher than what I am at now.

And yes my redline is around 7600-7700.

So what do you think boost up to 21-22ish and let it tapper to 20?
Old Aug 22, 2005, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Oh, side note I see you got sponsored - congrads.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ah thank you for the numbers. I just remember it being higher than what I am at now.

And yes my redline is around 7600-7700.

So what do you think boost up to 21-22ish and let it tapper to 20?
Using 4th gear on the 6spd, I try to have no more than a 22psi spike with the settled boost being right around 21psi. It never holds 20 beyond 7k, though, and that's even when turned up to 25 on race gas. By 7500 in 4th, it drops to 18-19...
Old Aug 22, 2005, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Using 4th gear on the 6spd, I try to have no more than a 22psi spike with the settled boost being right around 21psi. It never holds 20 beyond 7k, though, and that's even when turned up to 25 on race gas. By 7500 in 4th, it drops to 18-19...

Gotcha, Ill set mine in 3rd for 22 spike. See how it feels.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 04:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Most-Wanted
Bone stock LS1's run 13.6. So, your telling me the one you raced only run's 13.2 with all those mods. You are so full of ****. Those mods on an LS1 will put that car in the 11's no problem. There are cam only cars in the 10's. But the stories are great so keep telling them

Oh and just so you don't think I'm hating, I love the S4. But there is no way in hell a LS1 w/ those mods is only running a 13.2. My friend just ran his bone stock one here in S Florida and went 12.9 w/ a set of drag radials. Sorry, I'm not buying it.
My 2002 WS6 ran 13.1 bone stock with horrible 60ft times on stock tires. I know with even a slight amount of mods to the LS1 you can make some good power. My WS6 runs 12.7@113 in cooler weather with only minor mods on stock exhaust..
Old Aug 22, 2005, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dayton_EVO
My 2002 WS6 ran 13.1 bone stock with horrible 60ft times on stock tires. I know with even a slight amount of mods to the LS1 you can make some good power. My WS6 runs 12.7@113 in cooler weather with only minor mods on stock exhaust..
Ya I know. We both were not getting good times at Milian.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

Ok. One of the clamps wasnt tight, and I turned up my boost to spike of 22, dropping to 20, sticks to 6700 then tappers down to 18-19ish to 7600. Feels much stronger up top.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

awsome, sounds like its fixed. get some cams, you will hold over 20 psi to redline.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

From last Friday - I am still shifting early at about 7200 rpm, and I still noticed that at high rpm my BOV is opening - bleeding off boost (has to be, all the clamps are tight, and this time you could here it venting). But not too bad playing nice. I am going to put both springs in the BOV and do some more runs in a week or two. And shift higher - on one run I was shifting at 7800 rpm, but I got locked out of 4th. Ended up coasting the last bit at 104 and a 13.5. So if I didnt miss 4th, that run would have been good for 12s. Eh next time.

But check out that 60' time. 2 runs in a row I was in the 1.7x range. The other run was a 13.1. Yes I know some people have gotten stockers to go that fast. But this is my daily driver, and I was 65 miles from home, so I wasnt out to break anything that night.

Date: September 09, 2005
1/4 Mile: 13.01 @ 106.34mph
1/8 Mile: 8.35 @ 85.1mph
60': 1.71 (with 5K limiter on)
Race Track: Island Dragway
Temperature: 67
Octane: 93

Quick Reply: 1998 LS1 v. 2005 Evo 8