Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

1998 LS1 v. 2005 Evo 8

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2005, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
1998 LS1 v. 2005 Evo 8

1998 LS1 v. 2005 Evo 8
(Yes I searched for this; I wanted to gauge how this run will go)

Don’t you love sibling rivalry – here are the setups:

1998 LS1 Camaro Z28
Cold Air Intake w/SLP parts
Edelbrock Long-tube headers (No cats)
SLP cat-back (no muffler = loud as hell)
Tuned ECU
Tuned Auto (4) Trans
3360 lbs w/o driver – so ~3500 with (hes thin)

Don’t know whp, car hasn’t been dynoed I am guessing over 340+ whp (corrected because my brother gave me hell for posting 315+)

v.

2005 Evo VIII
Greddy Type-S BOV
RMR Air Induction
Apexi GT Catback
DC Sports Downpipe (No cat)
Hallman MBC @ 20 psi w/93 oct
Walbro 255
TurboTrix Flash
3263 w/o driver – so ~3480 with (Im not thin)

318 whp, 303 tq (@ 19-20 psi on 93 gas)

I am going home for the Woodward Dream Cruise in August, and my brother and I will be going to Milan Dragway for some good old family fun before the Cruise.

I got my car last winter so no track days yet. Plenty of drifting and getting to know the car though - got to love MI winters. And I haven’t run it at the track with my current mods yet. So I don’t know my times either. But I can drive the tires off of it.

As you can see my brother has a 98 Camaro, and not stock. I used to drive it when it was new – torque everywhere in that LS1 (scary on turns though, rear end is real light). It has been a while since then and now he has dove into the aftermarket parts. If the tires aren’t warm it didn’t hook up until you were almost out of second. Awesome burnouts, but it’s a hard car to launch well. Once warm first gear is questionable, but it will hook second.

When it comes down to it:

Weight: No advantages
Horsepower: Advantage Z28 (by 20 hp at my current psi and tune)
Torque: Camaro for sure
Launches: Advantage Evo
Experience: Advantage well me (not egotistical – but I have years on him and **cough** long nights of getting to know **cough** old local Officer JackA#$, if you know what I mean, and that was a long time ago - grr Troy)

We plan on running several times: hard launches, soft launches, and probably somewhere in-between those. To gauge real world and whatnot. Then we probably will switch cars, and go some more. (As long as he doesn’t kill my clutch)

Kids not a bad driver, and he knows that car inside and out. I haven’t seen him launch hard yet. Back when I got to drive it I could get it to move, but like I said I don’t know if he can do it. I’m guessing he can now.

Stock v. Stock I know that they are very close races in the quarter. We are modded about the same now. In the 0-60 mph (which doesn’t count on the track, its one of those real world numbers) Id say that I would take him, but not by much. I think it’s going to come down to 60-foot times and reactions. I think I may be at the slight disadvantage with the 5-speed. Those split seconds to shift add up, and I know that trans he has is very quick when shifting, slams into every gear hard, and usually if the tires are warm it doesn’t get that loose.

If the weather is nice it will be in the high 80’s and at sea level or just above. We both will be running higher-octane gas, 104 or better, and I may pump my boost to 21 or 22, not a big increase but may help. We haven’t talked about taking out the spares or amount of gas in each car, but we are trying to keep it real world, so most likely full loaded and 1/2 tank or 1/4 tank gas.

Wow sorry for the novel. But - what is the consensus? Do I have a chance or is this going to be real close or not even?

Last edited by Smike; Jul 25, 2005 at 07:52 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might want to guess again about the whp the LS1 he has is putting down, should be a lot more then 315+ more like ~350+whp since it has been tuned. Also does he have the stock torque converter, what is the stall on it? Ive seen LS1s put down over 340 to the wheels with just the slp lid and full exhaust(with cats and muffler) untuned. LS1s are nasty and since its an auto he doesnt have to be a good driver. Still should be an interesting race, post results.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Ya my bother is giving me hell on that...Im going to edit it for him, so he stops complaining. And honestly, I know its way over 315, and 340+ sounds right. And stock stall converter - I want to say 1700 or near that.

Will do with the results.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

lol thats funny, I would say race him anyways, ya never know till yal run each other.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Yep exactly, planning on it. Im going to give a call out to some old school friends with various hot rods and muscle cars, see if we can get some good runs. I was one of the first to ditch my old vette for a turbo 4. They all still run massive motors and whatnot...should be fun though.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My buddy has a 1998 LS-1 Z-28 with a cat-back exhaust and a K & N drop in filter. He has run a best of 13.15 @ 107 MPH on 91 octane. For some reason the Z-28 owners around here say that the 98 LS-1 Z-28's were the slowest, but my buddies car does alright for the simple mods he has. My best time in my 03 Evo was 13.16 @ 104 MPH on 91 octane, so we're pretty close when we race. I would think that your brother would be well into the 12's if he's properly tuned.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

You should be able to run near my times with that power...especially on 104oct. If he can cut 12.2s, then I'm impressed.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

From a dig you should win from a roll it will be close. If he adds a stall and juice you'll be spending another 5K+ to keep up. Good friend ran 11.20's@123mph with a 99SS lid, stall, juice, y pipe, and fuel pump that's it.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 09:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
go off a dig, race him
Old Jul 25, 2005, 11:14 PM
Evolved Member

Just race him and tell us the results, I've grown tired of these who do you think is gonna win threads.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 12:21 AM
Evolving Member

I think it will be a close race. I think your car is capable of a 12.3-12.5 depending on how well you drive. There are a few LS1s around here and most of them with those mods will go low 12s, 12.3-12.5 range. Race him and post up the results.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 03:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 3000ways
Just race him and tell us the results, I've grown tired of these who do you think is gonna win threads.
These are both two untested cars. Hence, why I posted. Im not posting to "gain status", Im posting to gauge opinions.

Im as interested as everyone else to see not only my times but also his.

And thank goodness he doesnt like nitrous. I have seen a no mod Firebird in the 12's with just that at a 150 shot. However, stall and 4.10 gears I know he plans on, but at this time he wont have them.

12.22 - Warrtalon - I hope to run close, but I must say thats impressive, but you are correct we seem to be similarly setup, but I do not have a new clutch or IC piping, but I will try to get near that time. - Thank you.

This will be at Milan Dragway in Milan MI, in August. So I will post as soon as we go.

Last edited by Smike; Jul 26, 2005 at 05:46 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
12.22 - Warrtalon - I hope to run close, but I must say thats impressive, but you are correct we seem to be similarly setup, but I do not have a new clutch or IC piping, but I will try to get near that time. - Thank you.
Actually, you dyno'd 36more whp than I did on pump gas, so you should be quite a bit faster. I ran 12.64 on pump, then 12.22 on a 104/93 mix. The difference is I have my own tuning device, so I can optimize my afr/timing for the race gas, whereas you will just be running a better fuel with no way to adjust for it. The only thing it will allow you to do is run a bit higher boost than on pump, but that should still help.

I was on the stock clutch and stock IC piping, too, so that's no different. The only thing that would keep you from the 12.0-12.2 range would be driving ability. I would be sure to disconnect the 5k limiter before going from a dig, otherwise you'll probably only cut a 1.9-2.0 60'.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Warrtalon - very interesting. I will be empting my tank as much as I can then filling with 104. I see you have the S-AFC, so a bit more onsite tuning ability - that has to be nice. I will be upping my boost to 22-23, I have no limiter on it so technically I could run 25, but that worries me engine wise...

What RPM are you lauching at? Not the 5K limit I am guessing. I have thought about getting rid of it.

Speaking of which, I remember seeing it up here somewhere. But I cant seem to find it. Do you have the How-To to disconnect it?
Old Jul 26, 2005, 09:11 AM

pretty sure u will lose up top

Quick Reply: 1998 LS1 v. 2005 Evo 8