Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

No 11s yet - update on pump ET/mph and Flash

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2005, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No 11s yet - update on pump ET/mph and DynoFlash

We only got 4 runs, so it was a frustrating day at MIR. I had expected upwards of 10 runs like last time, so I started out on pump gas to see what I could get.

1st run - 93 oct
12.52 @ 108.4 (best ET/best MPH on 93oct)

This was a good start, but it was only a 1.78 60', so I already knew I could easily hit a 12.4. I also was dying at the end of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, so some tuning adjustments would have given me a chance at a 12.3 @ 109 on pump gas, which would have been awesome. But, since I overheard the announcer say that we were doing "session runs" and that we had to return to the pits instead of hot-lapping, I got worried, so I tossed in race gas. 12.52 @ 108.4 on my only try was acceptable, but I would like to get 2-3 runs on pump next time in the attempt to go for 12.3x. 12.4 is a given, but 12.3 will be a challenge.

I then had to guess on my tuning, since this was the first time running race gas with a base flash and an S-AFC. I cranked up the boost to where I was last time at Capitol then leaned out the S-AFC from 5500-7500 by 6 points across the board. I then went for race gas run #1:

12.46 @ 112.6 - awful 1.92 60', spun all the way through first, shifted to 2nd while spinning, which caused the rear end to kick sideways (this has never happened before). So, bad ET, but my best MPH ever in 4th gear, which meant the flash was doing its job, and my s-afc tune on top of the flash was working, too. Logs showed great timing advance and no knock.

Run #2:

12.09 @ 113.2 - weak 60' of 1.76 - not awful, but nowhere near the 1.66 that gave me a 12.01 previously and a bit slower than my 1.73s after the 1.66 at Capitol Raceway. Basically, this was good enough for my 11.99. I was a full tenth slower on the launch, but only .08 slower in my final ET. If you take it linearly, a 1.66 60' means an 11.99, but a .1 increase in 60' usually nets more than a .1s increase in ET. Again, the mph was my highest EVER in 4th gear, so I am 100% happy with the flash and my car's ability to hit 11s. I just have to get the perfect launch. Btw, I lowered tire pressure for this one and did not spin, but it was because I pretty much slipped the clutch the whole way...not a good way to get hard launches.

Run #3:
12.23 @ 112.4 - another awful 60' of 1.85 - this time I lowered the tire pressure another 3psi all around in hopes of doing a really hard launch that would not spin the tires instead of my normal feather/slip method. Well, I still had way too much power for the amount of pressure in the tires, so I spun all through first again. The 60' was better than the first run, because instead of being in a stationary spin, I was actually moving forward while spinning, but still nothing good enough ot actually get a good run.

The End.

I was very pissed at being there for 8 hours and only getting 4 runs. I'm confident that next time I go (regardless of track), I will know to return to my OLD, OLD launching method, which is much more violent and that requires tire pressure in the low 20s. I'm making enough power in this cool weather to do real launches, whereas in the past, my feather launches were good enough.

Another for my base flash. I only had minor adjustments when on pump gas, so the base mail-in flash I got was good enough for a 12.4 and 109mph without cams. Also, we know that MRs can hit 113+ in 4th with only a 200rpm rev limit increase and can do so without cams. I think this information is valuable for others.

Last edited by Warrtalon; Oct 24, 2005 at 02:23 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 02:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Better luck next time, you should come out to rockingham strip. You can get tons of runs in, and its in the low 50s right now.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RazoEvo
Better luck next time, you should come out to rockingham strip. You can get tons of runs in, and its in the low 50s right now.
Hah, good ole Rockingham. Only about 4 hours straight down 95, but a bit too far for me.

I went to Rockingham several times back when I first start modding my 1st 1G. I had many a battle with Al Blaha and Tom Hoppe...ah, what fun.

I always found Rockingham to be about 3mph faster, but slicker than an ice rink off the launch pad. I've never done so many 4-wheel rattlesnake launches in my life as I did there. Being downhill always helped me make up for the poor launches, though, haha.

Last edited by Warrtalon; Oct 24, 2005 at 02:23 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah but NC is quite a drive from DC just to go to a different dragstrip.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
12.52 @ 108.4 on my only try was acceptable, but I would like to get 2-3 runs on pump next time in the attempt to go for 12.3x. 12.4 is a given, but 12.3 will be a challenge.

What is such a challenge about a 12.3 with pump gas? I'm not saying that everyone can do it but if I can do it in an '03 you can certainly do it in an '05. I can't believe that 104oct gas takes .4sec off your 1/4 mile times, Looks like I'll have to try it next time out, hopefully be pushing 11's. Good luck on your search for the 11sec pass
Old Oct 24, 2005, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NIevo
What is such a challenge about a 12.3 with pump gas? I'm not saying that everyone can do it but if I can do it in an '03 you can certainly do it in an '05. I can't believe that 104oct gas takes .4sec off your 1/4 mile times, Looks like I'll have to try it next time out, hopefully be pushing 11's. Good luck on your search for the 11sec pass
It's a challenge because it takes a 1.68 60' like yours, and I can't seem to hook up anymore. I've only gotten a 1.6x once so far. I'm sure your twin plate clutch helps a little, too.

THe 104 helps so much, because it removes any and all knock, whereas on pump, I'm usually dealing with some knock somewhere that keeps my mph a bit lower. For you, it will help some if you raise the boost, but without a tuning device, you won't be able to get the full benefit unless you get the Buschur race chip that Drag'N'Racing uses.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 07:23 PM
Former Vendor

Hey Warrtalon, are you running an upgraded clutch, suspension?
Old Oct 24, 2005, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PURE MR
Hey Warrtalon, are you running an upgraded clutch, suspension?
ACT w/street disk.

Stock suspension, tires, and wheels.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

good luck on getting in some more passes next trip.. i can't wait to see your car in the 11s I know it will be soon. Congrats on such a well setup car..
Old Oct 24, 2005, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Did you just get the flash? I'm thinking about going that route - I'm growing weary of trying to get ALL the tuning done with the emanage. I think I need a better starting place than the stock ecu can offer. I take it you're happy with the flash?
Old Oct 24, 2005, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 992gnt
Did you just get the flash? I'm thinking about going that route - I'm growing weary of trying to get ALL the tuning done with the emanage. I think I need a better starting place than the stock ecu can offer. I take it you're happy with the flash?
Yes, I just got the flash, but I didn't get it mainly for tuning purposes, since I tune myself with an S-AFC, but the base flash filled 2 gaps I couldn't overcome:

1) 7600 rev limit - I was banging off the limiter in 4th at the strip, because on the 6spd you hit 111mph at 7600, and it was holding me back (note, hit 113 in 4th after flash due to raised rev limit

2) mid-range/peak torque timing - this was not helpful at the drag strip (always above 5600rpm), but it increased my daily driving enjoyment immensely, since I now have probably another 20-30wtq in the 3500-5000rpm range.

So yes, I'm happy with my flash, but I still do the fine tuning with the SAFC on both pump and race gas. The Dynoflash is my foundation upon which I build...
Old Oct 24, 2005, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

he's had the flash for a little while now, but this is the first time out with it.
its too bad u didnt hit ur 11's warrtalon, buy u'll get there. i was sure the next time out with ur flash u would have it. better luck next time!
Old Oct 24, 2005, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Hmm, my main reasons for thinking about the flash are timing, removal of boost cut, and raising the rev limit. Guess it's time to get off the fence about it. Thanks for the info.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 992gnt
Hmm, my main reasons for thinking about the flash are timing, removal of boost cut, and raising the rev limit. Guess it's time to get off the fence about it. Thanks for the info.
Well, you'll definitely get those 3 things...
Old Oct 25, 2005, 05:03 AM
Evolving Member

Hey not too shabby, I was waiting to hear how you did. As the power goes up, it gets hard to get a clean launch. Time to get the tires hot before hand, the water trap is your friend.

It's hard going to a non-familiar track and trying to get the setup correct in 4 runs. Another 4 and you would have been golden.

You know my launching style, it's rough on the car, but it works.

Quick Reply: No 11s yet - update on pump ET/mph and Flash