Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

Tiberon

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2005, 10:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe its just me but I still think this car sucks phaty dumkin nuts and I cant wait to race this sucka and stop his jiba jaba
Old Dec 5, 2005, 04:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvilDylan
its funny that you guys knock hyundai. Some of you fanboys need to actually learn somethging outside the world of your evo and realize that the 4 cyl version of the tiburon is virtually a twin of the 4g63 minus the turbo. Hyundai and mitsu improved on the motor design together.

that being said there's no way the tiburon in it's current form will actually compete on any level with the EVO. I'd know because i had the 03 gt 6 speed before i bought my evo. It was a very reliable car, and it was decently quick with some mods. I went 14.1 @ 95 NA with basic boltons.
14.1 @ 95 with basic bolt-ons? Most of Tibs that I've seen on the track were in the high 16's/low 17's with bolt-ons (exhaust/CAI...). They all were extremely sluggish. How come u shaved almost 3 secs without NOS, SC or turbo? Can we see your time slips? I'm really interested to see how can a fwd v6 can almost get into 13's with basic bolt-ons.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 06:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EVOfunk
14.1 @ 95 with basic bolt-ons? Most of Tibs that I've seen on the track were in the high 16's/low 17's with bolt-ons (exhaust/CAI...). They all were extremely sluggish. How come u shaved almost 3 secs without NOS, SC or turbo? Can we see your time slips? I'm really interested to see how can a fwd v6 can almost get into 13's with basic bolt-ons.

well maybe you saw the 4 cyl running because the v6 is a low 15 second car stock. Also, what you saw does not mean that is the RULE. I never personally seen an EVO other than mine run faster than 13.8 seconds. Does that mean all EVOs are hgih 13 second cars? See the flaws in your logic?

Also, i just want to take the time in this post to laugh at your "NOS" terminology. Are you an actual enthusiast or are you some ricer that doesn't know the difference between "NAWZ" and nitrous oxide?

go to www.newtiburon.com and check the timeslip database. You'll see more than enough 14 second timeslips to satisfy your curiosity.

For reference, my car weighed 2800 lbs and made 175/175 whp/wtq and my mods were I/H/E/flywheel/clutch/and drag radials.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

well maybe you saw the 4 cyl running because the v6 is a low 15 second car stock. Also, what you saw does not mean that is the RULE. I never personally seen an EVO other than mine run faster than 13.8 seconds. Does that mean all EVOs are hgih 13 second cars? See the flaws in your logic?

Also, i just want to take the time in this post to laugh at your "NOS" terminology. Are you an actual enthusiast or are you some ricer that doesn't know the difference between "NAWZ" and nitrous oxide?

go to www.newtiburon.com and check the timeslip database. You'll see more than enough 14 second timeslips to satisfy your curiosity.

For reference, my car weighed 2800 lbs and made 175/175 whp/wtq and my mods were I/H/E/flywheel/clutch/and drag radials.
Hold your horses...

First of all, I'm neither a ricer nor a young punk you can laugh at. I'm 37 years old. Second of all, I've always used the NOS terminology when referring as nitrous oxide. And third, all I asked you is to show us some probe that you achieved 14.1 with a Tiburon GT with just basic bolt ons. All I wanted was to see YOUR time slip to understand how can a heavy underpowered fwd flirts with high 13's. 2800lbs and 175 whp translate into a less than stellar power to weight ratio of 16 whp, hence my curiosity.
Most of the Tiburon I've seen on the track were the GT V6 6 speed version, not the 140bhp 2liter 4 cyl. Does that make all the V6 Tiburon a 16-17 sec. car? Hell NO! I was just curious about your 14.1 sec compared with what I've seen.

Then again, can we see that time slip?
Old Dec 5, 2005, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dylan, was this on the same track where you trapped 117mph in the Evo without cams...a feat no one else has ever accomplished and that most people have trouble doing even on cams and race gas/meth?
Old Dec 5, 2005, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVOfunk
Hold your horses...

First of all, I'm neither a ricer nor a young punk you can laugh at. I'm 37 years old. Second of all, I've always used the NOS terminology when referring as nitrous oxide. And third, all I asked you is to show us some probe that you achieved 14.1 with a Tiburon GT with just basic bolt ons. All I wanted was to see YOUR time slip to understand how can a heavy underpowered fwd flirts with high 13's. 2800lbs and 175 whp translate into a less than stellar power to weight ratio of 16 whp, hence my curiosity.
Most of the Tiburon I've seen on the track were the GT V6 6 speed version, not the 140bhp 2liter 4 cyl. Does that make all the V6 Tiburon a 16-17 sec. car? Hell NO! I was just curious about your 14.1 sec compared with what I've seen.

Then again, can we see that time slip?

i never said anything about your age, and NOS is a brand name. It's not the substance.

Is that all you can do is roll your eyes? I hope you've got some salt so you can eat your foot.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Dylan, was this on the same track where you trapped 117mph in the Evo without cams...a feat no one else has ever accomplished and that most people have trouble doing even on cams and race gas/meth?

uh yeah, but as you can see there's really no correlation between my old car running 14.1 and my evo trapping 117.

now if my old car had trapped sopme outrageous number like 100 then maybe there would be reason for debate, however we are talking about two totally different aspects of the 1/4 mile.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
uh yeah, but as you can see there's really no correlation between my old car running 14.1 and my evo trapping 117.

now if my old car had trapped sopme outrageous number like 100 then maybe there would be reason for debate, however we are talking about two totally different aspects of the 1/4 mile.
I am asking in reference to the 95mph. I don't care about the ET, because that just depends on traction, and you said you had drag radials. I would expect that car on DRs to hit 14.1 if it could trap 95mph and cut 1.8 60s, but I didn't think 95mph with those mods was a regular occurrence, nor did I think 1.8 60's was that easy even on DRs. I haven't researched it and have never seen a good Tiburon run down the track, so I'm not refuting anything, since I know my observed sample size is too small.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 09:46 AM
Evolving Member

my 60's were low 1.9's consistently. I've got in car video of all my runs somewhere on my computer at home.

when iran the times it was hard for people to believe, and some attributed it to the track, however i went to two other tracks and ran within .05 of my best time at that track with identical trap speeds.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Evodylan,

What year of Evo 8 do you have? After reading your mods and seing your trap speed I think that your trap speed sounds extremely high for the mods that you have. With your mods your speed should be in the 112-114 at the most.

As far is the Hiunday Tiburon statements, 14.1@95 is difficult to get, even with a set of drag radials the car would have hard time getting such as low 1/4 mile times. Is there anyway you can provide a Video or something ?

Thanks!!
Old Dec 5, 2005, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

Imgonna feel like adumbass for posting this, but i looked for my videos that i had of me racing my tiburon, and i must have deleted all of them. I know it sounds lame, i have no idea why i'd delete them too...pisses me off. There's at least one member on this board that has seen the videos and my timeslips and hopefully he'll post up here.

my explanation formy high trap speed was with my cam gears adjusted the way they were i was making power at 7500 rpm, while most cars with lower trap speeds were probably dropping off at the top of 4th i was still pulling. This also explains my lackluster ET since i had no torque, there wasnt as much initial acceleration.

im scouring allt he forums that i was a member of when i had my tiburon and i cant find any 1/4 mile timeslips, all i can find is a coupld oe 1/8 mile slips that show 9.1x @ 76.x
Old Dec 5, 2005, 10:39 AM
Evolving Member

i think that co-worker of urs is letting jealousy turn him into a "dee dee deeee". some ppl lose common sense when they feel like they r competing with someone. it just means he's insecure and always feels he has to prove something. i find that funny about ppl.
my friend (wrx owner) ran into a similar uninformed douchewad. he was talking about cars/racing with someone and this guy overheard him and asked what kind of car he has. my friend told him it's a wrx, so the guy goes "my car can beat urs". so my friend asked what made him think that. the guy proceeds to tell my friend that he has a TL and that's 270hp, therefore, in his reasoning, it can beat a wrx which only has 227hp. so my friend had to explain to that ***** flapper that hp is not the only merit on which drag races r won. there's a lil thing called power/weight ratio and another "insignifact" matter of traction
let's face it, cars r advertised on hp, and ppl like to brag about how much hp their 4000lbs lux car has. yea too bad its still slow!
in the case of the co-worker; he's definitely on crack and the original poster needs to show him the stats on the hyundai's website.
and don't knock tiburon so much, it's a nice looking (imo) lil sporty car with decent reliability and nice warranty term. not everyone wants/needs a awd rally car that'll rattle their teeth out.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 10:45 AM
Evolving Member

For now this is the best tiburon timeslip i can do. I'll post my 117 mph timeslip under that one.
Attached Thumbnails Tiberon-timeslip1.jpg   Tiberon-timeslip2.jpg  
Old Dec 5, 2005, 01:10 PM
Evolving Member

Wow.. someone is actually keeping old time slips!!
I usually throw mine away once I go home..
Old Dec 5, 2005, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

For now this is the best tiburon timeslip i can do. I'll post my 117 mph timeslip under that one.
12 November 2001.

That's what your second time slip (12.09@117) indicates. Upper left hand corner. That's interesting. Say, what year is your Evo?

Let me roll my eyes...AGAIN