Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

Tiberon

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2005, 04:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EVOfunk
12 November 2001.

That's what your second time slip (12.09@117) indicates. Upper left hand corner. That's interesting. Say, what year is your Evo?

Let me roll my eyes...AGAIN

ugh typical.

not all dragstrips accurately post the date and time. Especially dragstrips that are only open on the weekends. I also just happened to find a timeslip that had blue just like the color of my car on it.

do you have some sort of ***** envy? 37 years old and you act like a prepubescent.

Maybe this will clear things up for you, here's a slip from a stip that does post the correct date and time. notice the 1/8 mile time from the 12.0 slip and the 1/8 mile time on this slip. Any more questions there punky?
Attached Thumbnails Tiberon-timeslip.jpg  

Last edited by EvilDylan; Dec 5, 2005 at 04:23 PM.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 08:49 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Dang, what's up with all the hate, guys?

I've known Dylan for a really long time. When I first heard about his Tiburon times on another board, I was a little skeptical. Then I saw his Evo times and couldn't believe how good his 60 foot times were, not to mention his trap considering he didn't even have cams yet.

There are a couple of things to consider here:

Dylan's car is tuned well. We spend a lot of time at Dyno4mance on the dyno dynamics, and his race gas map is pretty convincing, and not at all conservative.

Also, driving with him shows where he's making the time up. The guy shifts faster than anyone I've ever seen in my life. He also has some pretty crazy launching skills. Add that all up, and its not that big of a mystery. He's backed his times up on that 1/4 track and several 1/8th mile tracks in his area.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize

I've known Dylan for a really long time. When I first heard about his Tiburon times on another board, I was a little skeptical. Then I saw his Evo times and couldn't believe how good his 60 foot times were, not to mention his trap considering he didn't even have cams yet.

Dylan's car is tuned well. We spend a lot of time at Dyno4mance on the dyno dynamics, and his race gas map is pretty convincing, and not at all conservative.

Also, driving with him shows where he's making the time up. The guy shifts faster than anyone I've ever seen in my life. He also has some pretty crazy launching skills. Add that all up, and its not that big of a mystery. He's backed his times up on that 1/4 track and several 1/8th mile tracks in his area.
Here's the problem, though. No one else has gotten close to 117mph on the stock turbo without cams. Many people with cams and race gas or cams and meth don't even hit 117mph. Also, you say his driving shows where he is making the time up, but you failed to notice that his time is about 3/10ths slower than it should be. His driving is not making up time, it's losing him time. I run 12.000 with a far slower trap speed, but my 60's aren't any better than his. In fact, his best 60' is much better than my best, but his ETs aren't better. A 117 trap with his 60's and his great shifting should be an 11.7. We've discussed this before, and he is under the impression that the way he has the cam gears set gives him tons of top end, but sacrifices low-end/mid-range power. I can see how that would affect him on a road course, while autocrossing, or on the dyno (low peak torque), but I don't see how it affects him at the drag strip where he's always above 5500rpm, which means he's taking full advantage of the extra HIGH RPM powerband in EVERY GEAR. Cam gear settings don't just affect 4th gear, they affect every gear, which means if he's making extra power in the higher RPMs, he'd benefit from that in every gear, not just 4th.

Another thing is his 1/8th splits...I run 7.6s and 7.7s at 90-91mph in the 1/8th, and so does he. We then both hit 12.0s, but he's showing 117+ mph, while I usually am right at 113 (113.7 best ever and only once). That doesn't add up too well, and it just doesn't make sense for a 9.8 hotside to gain 27mph in the back-half.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize

Does he always reacts the way he did with me when someone is skeptical about his runs?
Old Dec 6, 2005, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EvilDylan
ugh typical.

do you have some sort of ***** envy? 37 years old and you act like a prepubescent.

Maybe this will clear things up for you, here's a slip from a stip that does post the correct date and time. notice the 1/8 mile time from the 12.0 slip and the 1/8 mile time on this slip. Any more questions there punky?
You're a disgrace to the EvoM community. Read Warrtalon's post. It might be too deep for someone with your level of intelligence, but at least try.

By the way, no envy about your ***** (I assume you referred to it as your car) since mine is faster than yours, you punk.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

You're a disgrace to the EvoM community. Read Warrtalon's post. It might be too deep for someone with your level of intelligence, but at least try.

By the way, no envy about your ***** (I assume you referred to it as your car) since mine is faster than yours, you punk.
Haha, Sergio, come on...let's calm down. I know you are a really cool guy now that we have met in person, and I have a hunch that we would both get along with Dylan quite well in person if we all were hanging out at the track together running 12.0s while impressing the crowd. Toss in a little GSUJeff along with Arizona Carlos, and we'd have ourselves one helluva crew. We needn't escalate this. Dylan's 117mph is very questionable, but I have no doubt that he 1) knows what the hell he's doing, 2) is a great driver, and 3) has no particular reason to blow smoke up our asses. He's a serious racer who makes the most out of his mods -that's my kind of guy. I can't explain the 117mph traps and am still skeptical of them, but I'm not skeptical to the point of calling him a liar or anything. I think MAYBE the timers read wrong (like my timeslip saying 115.7 when it was 113.7), but how common is that really? Not very common at all, but it's obviously possible.

For now, we can only question it, because he also didn't dyno anywhere close to where he should be in order to trap 117mph, but he has the timeslip, so it's just a mystery. If he could duplicate that 117mph trap at another 1/4-mile track, that would be great, but I don't know if he will have such an opportunity.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 10:20 AM
Evolving Member

I dont have the 9.8 hotside.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

I dont have the 9.8 hotside.
Oh, well you have a 2003, and the 10.5 hotside is not listed in your sig, so...
Old Dec 6, 2005, 10:25 AM
Evolving Member

I didnt call you a punk old man, i called you punky... sort of like punky brewster, acting like a kid being so irreverently skeptical about something which you probably have 100X less knowledge than i do about. IE the GT tiburon's capabilities and stock times. Your lack of knowledge about the subject was shown when you called it a 16-17 second car.

and LOL @ your car being faster. Would youlike to place a wager on that?

warttalon, alsot he only other explanation that i can come up with for the 117 mph traps is that on the 116 and 117 mph passes i was powershifting 3-4, on the 114 passes i did not powershift. This may have made the difference. Im not saying that everytime i run the 1/4 ill trap 117, but the 12.09 @ 117 is exactly what the slip says so that is the time that i will quote in my sig. Im not gonna say, well since i powershifted i should put 114 or 115 instead, thats like saying well since i was having a bad day at the track i should put 11.9 or 11.8.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Oh, well you have a 2003, and the 10.5 hotside is not listed in your sig, so...

I dont have a lot of things listed in my sig, i also have an ss clutch line, underhood bushings, act clutch, turbo header, i dont have the intake anymore, and now ive got 272 cams.etc.... I dont always keep everything completely up to date.

also, my dyno numbers were 300 awhp on a dynodynamics, probably close to 340-350 on a dynojet, so the numbers do add up.

Last edited by EvilDylan; Dec 6, 2005 at 10:33 AM.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

Another thing i wanted to point out was that you are below 5500 rpm when you are coming off the line, and that particular day iw as having a very difficult time getting a good launch. I had maybe 3 passes that were even close to clean, and that incudes the stupid staging lane was causing problems as they had just resurfaced and didnt resurface the lane evenly so my car was rolling at the light. This menas i had to hold the emergency brake while i was getting ready to launch which made things REALLY difficult. Im confident that i could have easily had a quicker pass if i had a better day at the track. Take a look at the 60 foot. 1.73?!? WTF almost everytime i have been to the strip i always ALWAYS am consistent under 1.7 it was just a real bad day for me.

cant be perfect every time.

Last edited by EvilDylan; Dec 6, 2005 at 10:38 AM.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Evyldilan,

I always give the people the benefit of the doubth. Since I havne't seen you running your car I can't really tell you that you were'nt running that fast however I can challenge you many ways.

What ever I ask you don't feel like having to respond to me at all or call me any names. This are my questions and reservations:

1) Yesterday, you posted a timeslips from year 2001, the EVO 8s were not even in the country at that time. That is your first lie or mistake. Then you went and edited.
2) You have absolutely insuficient mods to achieve a 12.0 @117MPH run
3) Your 60' times are hard to believe to begin with
4) with such a great launch, such a great speed it indicates you should had been in the mid high 11's
5) Your signature and mods is the most odd configuration I have ever seen
6) cams gears but no Cams? what is a ECU Plus?

We could open a poll and see what people see. How come you don't list your tuner, more info on your car, pics of your car.

Take care
Old Dec 6, 2005, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

I dont have a lot of things listed in my sig, i also have an ss clutch line, underhood bushings, act clutch, turbo header, i dont have the intake anymore, and now ive got 272 cams.etc.... I dont always keep everything completely up to date.

also, my dyno numbers were 300 awhp on a dynodynamics, probably close to 340-350 on a dynojet, so the numbers do add up.
Ok, well if you don't keep the mods updated, we have to make a lot of assumptions. Just have to deal with that, I guess.

No, 340-350whp on a Dynojet is good for a MAX of 115mph...couldn't touch 117mph. It sounds like the time you hit 117mph was due to some weird things going on. The date on the timeslip is wrong, the staging box was messed up and causing you to roll, etc. I powershift the 3-4 everytime, but it doesn't give me 3mph. It makes me a little quicker and might give a better mph by .5-1.0, but not 3, just for reference...
Old Dec 6, 2005, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Carlos, ECU+ is a cool device. It has its own forum in the General Tuning area. It's a device that is a step above the S-AFC, because it allows you to manipulate timing. It doesn't have DIRECT control over timing like flashers and standalones, but it allows you to modify timing on top of the stock ECU timing maps. So, let's say the ECU is trying to give 10* of timing at 4000rpm, you can set it to -2, so that it only gives 8*, or if you're only getting 16* at 7k rpm, you can set it to +4 to make it give 20*. This is just a rough explanation, and I haven't used an ECU+, but I do recognize it as a pretty cool tuning device that allows for self-tuning. It also has recently had an upgraded release with far more functions added, so it's not something to take jabs at.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 10:45 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts

You seriously need to settle down, dude. You've been here barely three months and are acting like a know-it-all eThug. I know Dylan, and his times are legitimate.

Originally Posted by Wartalon
but I don't see how it affects him at the drag strip where he's always above 5500rpm, which means he's taking full advantage of the extra HIGH RPM powerband in EVERY GEAR. Cam gear settings don't just affect 4th gear, they affect every gear, which means if he's making extra power in the higher RPMs, he'd benefit from that in every gear, not just 4th.

Wartalon-
As far as the cams argument, I only made 12whp with mine. I made a ton more with cam gears. True, the torque and area under the curve increased pretty solidly, but from 6000-7700rpm, we're talking about 10-12whp differences at the most.

Regarding MPH, I've found out that retarding the cam gears and reducing taper helps MPH. But you lose on some midrange torque, and even though you're landing higher in upshifting, the phase shift takes awhile for the retarded setting to overtake the zeroed setting. **Plus, you land a lot earlier than 5500rpm on the 1-2 upshift. Everything is in tuning, and his race gas map was pretty aggressive. For what its worth, some cammed cars we've tuned at the shop actaully have made less power than Dylan's car. I'm sure you know that not all Evos are created equally.

As far as ET/trap, surely you know that every track in the country is different. I do feel that if he ran at the track where I run, (which is a slightly higher elevation) that his trap speed might drop a couple mph.

All that is a moot point, though, because his time barely changed when he added camshafts. This proves that properly degreed and dyno tuned cam gears can supply you with close to the power you get from cams.

All that said, I agree the back-half increase is higher than the track I am accustomed to, but his 1/8th mile time stands valid. I think the best way for him to quell the hatred would be if he comes up to Noize-land this spring and prove.