Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

SC Grand prix wants to race an EVO

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2005, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SC Grand prix wants to race an EVO

I think the title says it all. It’s not my car but a buddy of mine has a SC (Supercharged) 1999 grand prix. Now, just so this thread does not get locked down we are talking about a legal quarter mile race of course. My buddy has close to 300 FWHP in a SC 1999 Pontiac grand prix and thinks he can beat a stock Evo no problem, especially in the top-end. He claims his grand prix will top out at like 171-175mph (He has a stock automatic tranny) and that his FWD also gives him an advantage in the top-end. Last I check his fastest time at the track this year was 13.7s @ 99 mph with a 2.1 60’ foot. He said if he cuts the same 60’s as you guys do, he would be in the low 13’s. So, he is not worried about racing a stock Evo. He hates Mitsubishis and is always talking **** about them especially eclipses. Yep, he is one of those guys who was racing crotch rockets when his car was basically stock . To say that his friends want to see him get beat by an Evo is an understatement . Now, my question is, do you guys think a stock Evo will beat him from a roll and dig? Second question is about the top-end. Will he destroy an Evo in the top-end as he claims? Last, anyone in MN want to race this dude when the quarter mile tracks open up next year ?

Last edited by DeathKnight425; Dec 2, 2005 at 11:18 AM.
Old Dec 2, 2005, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

So he did 13.7@99 with 300whp? A stock Evo shouldn't have any problems beating him, unless the driver can't launch/shift.

Originally Posted by DeathKnight425
I think the title says it all. It’s not my car but a buddy of mine has a SC (Supercharged) 1999 grand prix. Now, just so this thread does not get locked down we are talking about a legal quarter mile race of course. My buddy has close to 300 FWHP in a SC 1999 Pontiac grand prix and thinks he can beat a stock Evo no problem, especially in the top-end. He claims his grand prix will top out at like 171-175mph (He has a stock automatic tranny) and that his FWD also gives him an advantage in the top-end. Last I check his fastest time at the track this year was 13.7s @ 99 mph with a 2.1 60’ foot. He said if he cuts the same 60’s as you guys do, he would be in the low 13’s. So, he is not worried about racing a stock Evo. He hates Mitsubishis and is always talking **** about them especially eclipses. Yep, he is one of those guys who was racing crotch rockets when his car was basically stock (Typical boy who thinks he is to fast to furious). To say that his friends want to see him get beat by an Evo is an understatement . Now, my question is, do you guys think a stock Evo will beat him from a roll and dig? Second question is about the top-end. Will he destroy an Evo in the top-end as he claims? Last, anyone in MN want to race this dude when the quarter mile tracks open up next year and shut him up?
Old Dec 2, 2005, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The fact he trapped 99mph means he doesn't have much power at all. I know those things are heavy, but if he really had 300whp, then he would have trapped no less than 105. A 2.1 60' on a heavy FWD S/C car like that is pretty good, so it's not like he wasted all his time spinning. Even with spinning, his trap speed wouldn't suffer. Basically, any stock Evo from 03-06 would beat that guy in the 1/4-mile. On a high-speed roll, the 05/06s would probably outrun it, but maybe not the 03/04s. It depends on gearing at that point.

Tell your friend that 300BHP is not the same as 300WHP and that comparing his modded GP to a STOCK Evo is pretty lame. With the most basic and cheapest of bolt-ons, he would not even have a chance of competing with any year Evo.

Last edited by Warrtalon; Dec 2, 2005 at 10:10 AM.
Old Dec 2, 2005, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Warrtalon

Tell your friend that 300BHP is not the same as 300WHP and that comparing his modded GP to a STOCK Evo is pretty lame. With the most basic and cheapest of bolt-ons, he would not even have a chance of competing with any year Evo.

Yea, I am sending him an email now. However, it would make my day to see a stock Evo beat his heavily modded Grand Prix since he talks so much ****.
Old Dec 2, 2005, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DeathKnight425
Yea, I am sending him an email now. However, it would make my day to see a stock Evo beat his heavily modded Grand Prix since he talks so much ****.
Well, I basically ran 13.1@104 on a crappy 60' when I was stock, so it's not like it would be hard to beat him...
Old Dec 2, 2005, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Deathknight:

Like Warrhead said, just about any evo is easily capable of lower < 13.7.

But
If you cannot launch your car correctly, a 14 sec run can result. You'll know if your launches are good - you'll fell like youv'e been catapulted.

With a good launch SC pontiac boy will pretty much give up in dispair before 2nd gear.

BTW, I have a coworker with a V6 SC monty carlos SS, he's invested thousands into the engine, he's afraid of taking it to the track for truth so he never does.
He gave me a ride in the thing and showed me what it had. Well, I kinda felt sorry for him and said "pretty fast man" but the thing was only a little faster than a Mustang GT - slow
Old Dec 5, 2005, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

do your self a favor: 1) ask for a dymo sheet 2) if he is making that much power dont go from a roll. and 3) "choose life" dont do a "top speed" run they dont mean anything and that car has a 4T60E tanny in it, if it has the power and room it will go 160-165 if its not speed limited by the computer. the GTP's make good power theres 1 around my area that in the mid 12's so dont count him out entirely. Good luck' have fun, be careful, keep it rubber side down, get a good launch hit all you shifts then let the bragging begin. FYI- if theres no tracks open where you live prepare the hear aout it all winter long (i got a friend thats the same way, they'll run there mouth until raceday then there worried.)