Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

05 MR > C5 Z06

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2005, 10:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by markeddy
Was this with your new ported mods that you just got back from Buschur? If not, when was this race done?
Oh, no, this was just with my basic Warrtalon Stg 1&2 mods with only a mail-in Dynoflash. If you look at the link in my sig, you can see both timeslips from that same day when I ran 12.26 (93oct) and 12.000 (110oct) - it was on Nov 27th.

Since then, I've been custom road tuned by Al, added the Forge RS DV, and will be adding the Forge UNOS MBC, Forge WGA, and the ported/coated Buschur exhaust parts. That will be followed by another custom road tune to see gains.

Vishnu_Evo8, I just have the regular ACT HDSS.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 11:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any abnormal chatter with that ACT HDSS clutch? How is the grip and do you notice high RPM shifting problems like some people have indicated on the forum?

Thanks for the information...!
Old Dec 29, 2005, 11:01 PM

i have heard you try to explain your launch methods in the past, and seeing the video helps me understand how you launch i believe..which is the same method i think i use. is it a quick slip off the line and as soon as u moving good its out the rest of the way??
Old Dec 29, 2005, 11:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by markeddy
Any abnormal chatter with that ACT HDSS clutch? How is the grip and do you notice high RPM shifting problems like some people have indicated on the forum?
No, single disks don't chatter; that's twin disks. Mine makes no noise and only shuddered a little bit during the break-in phase.

The grip is awesome as can be seen in my 60' times. I did have the 7k lockout problems at first, and I had a huge thread talking about it, but then I just adjusted the clutch pedal and haven't had a problem since. I can shift like lightning without even thinking twice about whether or not I'm going to miss the shift or grind.

Yes, that's basically what I do, MikeMAN. The key is not to move too far forward before hammering it. You can see how I have already started moving before I really launch hard, which is because I'm trying not to shock the drivetrain.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 11:14 PM
Evolved Member

Launch looked awesome to me.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Warrtalon

Yes, that's basically what I do, MikeMAN. The key is not to move too far forward before hammering it. You can see how I have already started moving before I really launch hard, which is because I'm trying not to shock the drivetrain.
beautiful, i have driven like this for a while after i started going to the track and its super hard to explain to people sometimes....cause i try and get moving before i unleash the power on the drivetrain (well only launched MY evo 1 time so far because i just got it...)...and it works VERY good, back in my honda days even , (obviously more wheelspin)
Old Dec 29, 2005, 11:19 PM
Evolved Member

I probably should have said abnormal noise. I know what the chatter sounds like on a twin because I had the Exedy on my 2005 MR before I got rid of it I just got sick of the plates banging against each other when I had the clutch pedal pressed to the floor (disengaged).

I guess what I am referring to is the rotational or marbles in a box like noise that is evident when the clutch pedal is released and the car is sitting in neutral. Even on my stock 2005 GSR which has about 8000 miles I can hear a faint marble like noise coming from the clutch when the clutch pedal is release while in neutral.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 11:25 PM
Evolved Member

No, I haven't ever noticed any noise like that before or after the clutch install.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 12:38 AM
Evolved Member

^Did you notice that when you threw a flame on the 1-2 shift that it appears your flame is also coming out somewhere further up the exhaust? Either the camera messed up or you may have a bad gasket or a leak between your mid-pipe and axle back.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, I did notice that actually. It looked like there were 2 separate flames, one of which was further up the exhaust track. LIke you said, maybe at the axle back or mid-pipe. I'll have it on the lift this weekend to double-check.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Very nice! The launch looked very smooth to me, almost too smooth.

I tried launching my car again last night on the street and I'm still having issues will wheel hop in the front. I have the Exedy triple carbon and when I try to slip it there is no "in between". This clutch is very hard to slip. From the point at which it is disengaged to where it grabs feels like millimeters.

Using the two-step I get the car rolling about 5-8 feet and then release the clutch, but it still wheel hops bad. This is after a full coil over suspension set to stiff, Ingalls stiffy set to stiff, and lowering the car a good bit.

It has been pretty cold out and I am using Advan Neova's in 245/40/17 so maybe the weather is playing a bigger role than I previously thought. Tire pressure was 38psi on all four corners.

I can't imagine slipping the clutch more than 8 feet out of the hole.

How far do you slip before you unleash the fury?
Old Dec 30, 2005, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

I only slip for a brief moment, and then hammer it. I hammer it before tripping the line, else my 60' would suck. That means I only move a few inches. There's no way I could do this method with your setup. You can only do one thing and that is a near-dump at 6k and with the tire pressure down in the 20s. You will need some incredibly sticky tires with all that power, all that stiffness, and such a strong clutch. You cannot slip it at all, which makes it capable of much better 60's, but it's also much more difficult.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 12:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
I did have the 7k lockout problems at first, and I had a huge thread talking about it, but then I just adjusted the clutch pedal and haven't had a problem since.
Hhaha, I remember you crying so much about how the clutch was wrong and that there is no way adjusting it like Kirk said would fix it.

That's funny ish. Foot in mouth on that one eh?

Last edited by razorlab; Dec 31, 2005 at 12:43 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome run! you looked fine from start to finish. I bet the guy in the vette kept going and bought himself an evo!
Old Dec 31, 2005, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
Hhaha, I remember you crying so much about how the clutch was wrong and that there is no way adjusting it like Kirk said would fix it.

That's funny ish. Foot in mouth on that one eh?
Yeah, bud, keep stirring the pot. I didn't say that the adjustment wouldn't fix it, I said I wasn't satisfied with a bandaid fix as the long-term solution. I also came back and made a long thread explaining how well the clutch worked after the adjustment so that I could give some credit where it was due. I've responded countless times to people asking about the ACT since then, and I let them know how well my ACT is working but I also warn them to make sure they know what to do about the assured 7k lockout they will encounter.

Btw, his name is Dirk.