Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

1/4 Mile Time Database

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2006, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The end results just needs to be like a php database that lets you sort. It needs to have:

Driver, Car/Year, Turbo, ET, MPH, 1/8, 1/8MPH, 60', Fuel Type, NOS/ALCHY, Weight, Sponser/Shop, Track/Elevation, Temp, Tire Type.

Anything faster than an 11.5 will need to submit a timeslip (Once cars start getting faster we can lower the threshold). Otherwise, if people want to make their pass validated they can always submit a timeslip... that way its not just a random time but they can say its been verified).

Id be more than happy to host the site on one of my servers, with links to thier timeslips. I will even allow them to have thier own little pic section and possibly even host a movie section (Only decent times or movies I deem cool would be posted ). I dont have a bandwidth problem, nor a traffic problem, nor a space problem.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 12:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well since you have graciously offered your servers...can I get some stats?

PHP Version? MySQL Version? Does it support ASP.NET (I might try this if doing the graphical stuff is too much of a pain in PHP)?

My academic server supports all of those things, but of course it might be lower on bandwidth and serving capacity.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have all the bandwidth we want

I will support whatever you decide to use.

The reason I am debating the movie section is the high bandwidth per customer. I dont want a bunch of moron videos in there but I will most likely allow some movies. As for the pics I would be glad to give every person that submits thier timeslip and verifies it plenty of space to put up some pics of the rides if they wish.

I also already have a ton of pics of various events (like the DSM Shootouts) already so I might kinda combine the pic part... I have the licence to photopost so it looks pretty nice.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

Good stuff everyone! So I just got the actual assignment, and I need 1 more entity for my database. What is one more thing to track information about besides:
-Run
-Car
-Track
-Driver

Once I have this figured out, the assignment should be a go and I'll get started!

P.S. Yay! I'm an evolving member now!
Old Feb 18, 2006, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TrinaBabe
I have all the bandwidth we want

I will support whatever you decide to use.

The reason I am debating the movie section is the high bandwidth per customer. I dont want a bunch of moron videos in there but I will most likely allow some movies. As for the pics I would be glad to give every person that submits thier timeslip and verifies it plenty of space to put up some pics of the rides if they wish.

I also already have a ton of pics of various events (like the DSM Shootouts) already so I might kinda combine the pic part... I have the licence to photopost so it looks pretty nice.
I've got video of most runs from DCEvoClub members if the Video Section ever happens... This season I'm actually going to try and have in-car video to show launching technique and stuff too
Old Mar 9, 2006, 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

Well, I've made a little progress. Here is the Entity-Relationship Model as it stands. This can still be changed if anyone has more suggested improvements. I'm getting to the point where I will begin building the database. Any sort of front end is still a ways off....

Old Mar 9, 2006, 05:10 PM
G20
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
1) DriverNo in Car table is integer type instead of char(10).
2) Sometimes there're more than 1 type of tires on the car but probably only front/rear different hence you may want to consider front/rear tires instead (if you want to detail the tires).
3) Mods table is incompleted. The way it is now you can only has 1 mod per car. You'll need to introduce intermediate table or add sequential item id to mods table.
4) Each car can only has one driver, if that is as designed then it's fine.
5) Sponsors can be better become a seperate lookup table for better expandable in future.

That's all for now if I have time to find more I'll let you know.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 05:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by G20
1) DriverNo in Car table is integer type instead of char(10).
2) Sometimes there're more than 1 type of tires on the car but probably only front/rear different hence you may want to consider front/rear tires instead (if you want to detail the tires).
3) Mods table is incompleted. The way it is now you can only has 1 mod per car. You'll need to introduce intermediate table or add sequential item id to mods table.
4) Each car can only has one driver, if that is as designed then it's fine.
5) Sponsors can be better become a seperate lookup table for better expandable in future.

That's all for now if I have time to find more I'll let you know.
Wow those are great comments. Looks like you know what's going on! That's a typo on the DriverNo FK, I'll get it changed. Mods table needs another primary key to ensure uniqueness for more than one mod per car. You're totally right. I'll look at changing the tire attributes. Oh and each car has one driver by design

Keep in mind that since this is an ER Model, each entity does not have a 1-1 correspondence to a single table in the final DB. For instance, "Sponsors" will be its own table.

Last edited by urBan_dK; Mar 9, 2006 at 05:37 PM.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

My buddy is testing one now that he plans on selling down the road to different sites. www.weirdstyles.net, under forums he has timeslips. Basically the site is a testing ground for his programs.