Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

1/4 Mile Time Database

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2006, 10:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1/4 Mile Time Database

Hi everyone,

I'm currently taking a 4000 level database class at my university, and our big project for the quarter is designing a database of our choice.

Here's where you all come in. I was brainstorming and I thought it would be sweet to have a database-driven website (probably MySQL and PHP) where users can log-in and enter information about their various runs, their cars and mods, etc.

This would have some really cool features where you could find all cars with similar times or other cars that ran the same track, etc. Basically, if you can conceive of search criteria, it will be able to give you results you expect.

I guess I'm just trying to get a level of interest and maybe some additional ideas for "cool features" to add. My assignment is only to design the database back-end for the class, so the web-based front end may be a little longer in coming.
Old Feb 14, 2006, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

www.dragtimes.com

www.dsmtimes.org
Old Feb 14, 2006, 09:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sleet
Thanks for the links. Those sites certainly have a lot of the functionality I would like to see, but not all of it.

This database is first and foremost an academic project, anyway. If no one is interested, I just won't design a web-based front end.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 07:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mysql is pretty easy to use, but how long will your school let you keep the database on their server(s)/machine(s)? or do you have a machine that the database can reside on that a webpage can query from?
Old Feb 15, 2006, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm interested. We need one for Evos specifically. What sort of stuff are you looking for from us? Suggestions on criteria?

I'd like to see a login-based system that has all these parameters and requires an attached timeslip in order to submit:

- Car year
- Car model
- Temps
- Times
---60'
---330'
---660'
---1/8th MPH
---1000'
---1320'
---1/4 MPH
- Mods
- Octane (N2O or alky, too)
Old Feb 15, 2006, 07:49 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
I'm interested. We need one for Evos specifically. What sort of stuff are you looking for from us? Suggestions on criteria?

I'd like to see a login-based system that has all these parameters and requires an attached timeslip in order to submit:

- Car year
- Car model
- Temps
- Times
---60'
---330'
---660'
---1/8th MPH
---1000'
---1320'
---1/4 MPH
- Mods
- Octane (N2O or alky, too)
You forgot the impotrant things,IE: Barometric pressure,Density altitude,water grains,the list could go on and on........
Old Feb 15, 2006, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by turboDan
You forgot the impotrant things,IE: Barometric pressure,Density altitude,water grains,the list could go on and on........
Nah, those aren't the "important things." Most people have no clue what those things are or how to find them, so that makes no sense to consider them "the important things." That's why I listed elevation and temps, because those are easy to figure out and know for any given track at any given time. Try to be reasonable, Dan, come on...
Old Feb 15, 2006, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

You dont need the mods part... swap it with Turbo. AND you forgot one of the biggest things... weight.

Make the interface sortable from the web so people can sort it from 60' times, or weight, or turbo type, ET, etc.... That would be nice.

Also make sure you have three different sections. One for all USDM EVO VIII-IX, One for all Non-US EVO VII-IXs and one for all other Evo models I-VI.

If you could do that it would be cool.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

And and make sure there is a notes section they can write in if they want. And you should probably add tire type... drag radials, street radials or slicks.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Cool project! I'd go ahead and add in every possible variable that people suggest and that you can think of. People don't have to enter ALL the info if they don't want to. It would be great to have the option, though, and it would be a bit more impressive from a "graded project" standpoint. I never did anything that cool in school

One thing that I think you should setup are constants, ie. the format in which people are allowed to post. So you can easily search and find similar entries. Like for track location it would have to be entered the whole name of the track, and a standard way to type in the name of the turbo (big16g, gt42r, etc.). I think this could be awesome. Good luck!
Old Feb 15, 2006, 10:55 AM

the only problem i see is the validity of the times just like other sites, unless you personally got the time slips sent to you in the mail to add to the site there isnt an easy way to verify the attached image as being a timeslip or some **** star doing the dirty sanchez.
Old Feb 15, 2006, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MikeMAN
the only problem i see is the validity of the times just like other sites, unless you personally got the time slips sent to you in the mail to add to the site there isnt an easy way to verify the attached image as being a timeslip or some **** star doing the dirty sanchez.
well either way works for me!

I'm just keeeeeding!!! Each entry would have to be verified that it's a valid link. There would definitely be maintenance involved!
Old Feb 15, 2006, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Thad be kinda cool
Old Feb 15, 2006, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Just make it anything faster than an 11.5 needs to be validated by someone (Through a pic in E-mail)... Id be happy to validate them for you if you dont want the junk mail. In fact, Ill host the site if you actually make it look decent.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 12:23 AM
Evolving Member

Wow! I didn't check this thread until just now because I had only had a single response.

I can certainly throw in all the parameters you guys are mentioning. I'm not sure if I will be able to host timeslips, but I can host links to timeslips.

As far as validation goes, I can't think of a good way to do this besides a team of "moderators" that can validate entries.

There will be some sort of log-in privilages, and at this point I will limit myself to Evos. The academic server I plan on hosting from probably cannot handle too much traffic. Right now the only things that are on there are s***ty stock quotes web sites ( http://cs.spu.edu no I'm not going to tell you which one is mine).

Basically, I'm psyched about computers and Evos. This allows me to put my skills in one area to use for benefit of the other area. I have a pretty sophisticated understanding of how to design a solid relational database, but less experience designing a pleasing UI. It certainly will be a big project, but I'll keep you guys updated as it develops.

I'm always open to suggestions on different attributes to add to the relations in the database. Right now I am thinking of several different entities (which eventually become their own table in the database once I get past the logical design phase):

-Run
-Car
-Track
-Driver

If any other entities make sense to add, let me know. Basically, an entity is a real object (in this case pertaining to drag racing) of which we would like information. These were the first four that came to mind but there may be others. Thanks for your help!

Last edited by urBan_dK; Feb 17, 2006 at 12:28 AM.

Quick Reply: 1/4 Mile Time Database