Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

Perfect Launch & Clutch Smell

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2006, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can't "check" boost hoses. You have to do a boost leak test.

Also, I did 1.92 60' on my _first_ try, and that was because I had no frickin clue about the 5k limiter, but it was still a 13.1@104. I was trying to launch from 6k and couldn't figure out what the hell was happening. The 05s were still very new, so I came home, looked on EvoM, learned how to disconnect the switch, then went back out the next time and ran a 12.8@106.3 with a 1.76 60, but I had added an SAFC with some self-tuning.

It doesn't matter if you only trap 99-100, you can still pull 1.7 60's. YOu keep thinking all these different factors mean you can't pull a 60', but it's not true. The weather doesn't keep you from getting 1.7s, the 99mph trap speeds (and relative power level) doesn't keep you from hitting 1.7s, the clutch doesn't, the 5k limiter doesn't. It's just you - it's not easy to launch these things, but once you figure it out, it will be a breeze.

You shouldn't be expecting 102mph either - you should expect 105+.
Old Aug 19, 2006, 09:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As someone learning about EVO's, but that drags a mustang a bit, I'll also chime in that unless there's snow on the ground or the track is so hot it's slimey the weather has jack to do with your 60' time. 60' is maximized by technique when launching a stick car, especialy with awd cars that don't posses a tremendous amount of torque. The car is less likely to make up for any driver technique error when trying to get going. And keep in mind we're talking about tenths of a second here, so if you shift slow(though you may consider it fast), or get out of the power curve while shifting every little thing makes a difference. No one can really know unless some video is shown or others can drive your car to see if it's actually down on power. Regardless, practice only helps and is fun none the less.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 03:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost

having wartalon as a SN and driving an EVO is equally foolish IMO.
Oh man...

I love nice comebacks like those.

On my car, I actually don't smell the clutch at all, unless I slip it excessively. You need to practice at the track though. The butt dyno lies.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 04:58 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
You shouldn't be expecting 102mph either - you should expect 105+.
Are you KIDDING me or what, I READ the DR Section and I KNOW that a few have Trapped that and YES, I was expecting that but WHAT the hell,,,it RAN what it RAN!!

Dude, I guess I should call Mitsubishi then and ask for my MISSING 60/70 HP back then???

If it only traps 100/101 (my shifting to early was probably the culprip here)...then THATS what These cars run!!!!

Yea, a few Early '06's may have had a MUCH more aggressive Factory Tune that Mits. Tuned down for Warranty reasons???? Who knows??

Last edited by 11SECEVO; Aug 20, 2006 at 05:06 AM.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 05:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have never drag raced before, but have done a lot of road racing, so my understanding of times and mph may be wrong....(I can almost feel the flames...)

With regard to your 60' times -- From what I have read they are inline with a lot of newbies, so I would just get out to the track with an instructor and practice more....Practice and a professional in the car, will definitely get you in the 1.6 range...

As for your mph trap speed issue (I believe you are off by ~7mph from factory), what were your ship points? How quickly were you banging through the gears? My guess is that you were shifting way too high in the RPM band and again this would improve with practice...(I doubt you have a boost issue / leak, although that seems to be the first thing everyone says to check.)

Final advice, similar to first point, is if you really want to improve your driving skills, whether at the drag strip or road course, hire a professional (a real professional). There are many guys out there that would be able to give you real advice and make noticeable improvements in just a day or so. It will be your best speed investment....
Old Aug 20, 2006, 05:02 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by mdog
so if you shift slow(though you may consider it fast), or get out of the power curve while shifting every little thing makes a difference.
I DO agree with that 100%, I think I shifted too early at 6900 on the 2-3 shift and that 'May' have cost me a MPH or so, so based on that I'll give it the Benifit of the doubt and say that with Perfect shift Points I probably would have trapped
100/101...Still a little slower than the Early '06's....
Old Aug 20, 2006, 05:04 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by cij911

As for your mph trap speed issue (I believe you are off by ~7mph from factory), what were your ship points? How quickly were you banging through the gears?
Yea, I gonna call Mitsu on Monday and ask for my MISSING 70 HP back :-)
Old Aug 20, 2006, 05:48 PM
Evolving Member

If you are concerned that the car is down on power why not take it by the dealership to find out if something is possibley up? At least maybe your mind could be put to ease on that. If everything checks out then you can just have the fun of practice, practice, practice.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You don't really think that because yours is slow on that track with you driving that it means all IXs are now suddenly that slow? You can't be serious...

Mdog, the dealership would have no clue what to do if he came in and said, "I don't think it's as powerful as other IXs." What's he going to say...that he trapped low at the drag strip?
Old Aug 20, 2006, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
You don't really think that because yours is slow on that track with you driving that it means all IXs are now suddenly that slow? You can't be serious...

Mdog, the dealership would have no clue what to do if he came in and said, "I don't think it's as powerful as other IXs." What's he going to say...that he trapped low at the drag strip?
Well, I was hoping he would be somewhat resourcefull with something like, "Hey, my car seems to performing poorly lately like something has gone wrong blah, blah, blah.... If he's trapping a few mph low I don't think he is missing a lot or maybe any hp either. Where I'm trying to come from is that though many don't agree with him he feels his car is down on hp. Maybe through a process of elimination he will be convinced of it as well. As you said it's difficult to diagnose through a pc without driving it or seeing some video and or dyno #'s.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Now 60' Besides I had FOUR runs in with a CONSISTENT 99something MPH, and it's a BRAND NEW CAR..so that tells me that MITSB must have CHANGED the ECU Programing to LOWER Stock Boost/HP I guess do to Warrranty Issues
WTF???? Dude the reason why you are running crappy is cause of your mods. The reason why you have horrible 60fts is cause you have not a clue on how to drive your car. The last 2 sentences are the brightest conclusions you are going to get on this forum. I dont know how many times we all have to tell you that the weather, elevation, and minor tuning descrepencies have nothing to do with your 60fts.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 08:26 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by SKILMATIC
WTF???? Dude the reason why you are running crappy is cause of your mods.
Mods??? Oh, you mean the "Car is factory Stock" MOD.....
Old Aug 21, 2006, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

werent you the guy who had a vta bov and a intake w/o a tune? If thats not you then forget about the first sentence.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 12:14 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by SKILMATIC
werent you the guy who had a vta bov and a intake w/o a tune? If thats not you then forget about the first sentence.
Not me, but thats Cool, VERY easy to mix up folks in here......

Looks like a Good Dyno tune is in the works for September, just got to install my Boost Gauge first, then we'll see what my Stock WHP really is!

Thanks again to all!!! I Appreciate it!!
Old Aug 21, 2006, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

^O ok my bad. But good luck to you. And keep us posted on whats going on.

Quick Reply: Perfect Launch & Clutch Smell