Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

Perfect Launch & Clutch Smell

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2006, 09:26 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perfect Launch & Clutch Smell

Guys,

As I've Practiced a few Launches before heading to the Track Tonight on my Bone Stock IX, it seems that no matter HOW Perfect I get the Launch I STILL Smell a Faint Clutch Smell?? Is there NO WAY to get a Perfect Launch WITHOUT Clutch wear??

Oh, and by the way I'm doing the 5300Rev Limit & QUICK Clutch release!! And the car has just under 500 miles on it....
Old Aug 18, 2006, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the problem is you think it's a perfect launch. How do you know if you haven't gone to the track? You could be doing 2.0 60's and THINK they feel fast, but they really aren't. A perfect launch will have the least clutch wear, because it won't include a lot of slippage.

There is no 5300rpm rev limit unless you have changed it. IT's 5000rpm, wh ich requires a lot of slipping, which causes you to burn it and get the clutch smell. Launching like this under 500 miles and having a username that says 11SECEVO are equally foolish, imo.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 09:46 AM
Evolving Member

+1 I have my stationary limiter raised to 6K and I still don't get that much slip and smell. Just the tires chirp and I'm gone.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Launching like this under 500 miles and having a username that says 11SECEVO are equally foolish, imo.
BS!

I launched my car at 500 miles at the track and my stock clutch lasted over 35k and well over 120 passes.

having wartalon as a SN and driving an EVO is equally foolish IMO.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 09:55 AM
Account Disabled

I think the problem is you think it's a perfect launch. How do you know if you haven't gone to the track? You could be doing 2.0 60's and THINK they feel fast, but they really aren't. A perfect launch will have the least clutch wear, because it won't include a lot of slippage.

There is no 5300rpm rev limit unless you have changed it. IT's 5000rpm, wh ich requires a lot of slipping, which causes you to burn it and get the clutch smell. Launching like this under 500 miles and having a username that says 11SECEVO are equally foolish, imo.
Warr,

I AGREE on the user name, I made it YEARS ago, I don't think it's Possible to change it(I'd LOVE to though as I hate it)...and YES, I'm going to the track tonight...and I MEANT 5000rpm....
I've only done 3 (THREE) launches since i've had the car, each one as YOU Suggested, flooring it to Limiter (5000) and Realeasing the clutch as FAST as possible...1st time I actually Dumped it and Bogged, the other two times I let it go rather quickly, and it SEEMED to come out HARD..but I DID get a Faint Cluch smell, so....as I said Originally..is it even Possible to get a Great 60' Without Clutch Smell??????
Old Aug 18, 2006, 09:55 AM
Evolving Member

Launch??

Originally Posted by Dabaysevo
+1 I have my stationary limiter raised to 6K and I still don't get that much slip and smell. Just the tires chirp and I'm gone.
How fast do you let the clutch out? Is it just a little slower than a complete dump? I have a 6200 RPM 2 step (dynoflash), stock clutch Evo9. I know this has been addressed before, but Im still not completely sure of the proper launch that will give me a combination of quick 60ft, the least amount of wear on my clutch, and no drivetrain damage. I will be practicing at Moroso this weekend and I could really use some last minute pointers.

Thanks!
Old Aug 18, 2006, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
BS!

Old Aug 18, 2006, 09:58 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by KawRider
will be practicing this weekend and I could really use some last minute pointers. Thanks!
Yea, ditto that, I only put ~1000miles a Year on the car, if that (Show Queen)
and I'd like to KEEP this original Clutch!!!
Old Aug 18, 2006, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
BS!

This could be up for quote of the year.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Not sure why that's foolish. It's my nickname for many years from well before the Evo was even available here. This guy does not have an 11-sec Evo, so there's no correlation. Not sure why you have so much hatred, but you need to get off it. Doesn't matter if you were FOOLISH by trying to launch the stock clutch at 500 miles (or less) and then lasted 35k miles on 120 launches or whatever, especially when the car is slow. Fact is, there are always exceptions, but those exceptions don't PRECLUDE the majority. He is much more likely to shorten the life of the stock clutch when launching with slippage before the whole system is broken in nicely. There's just no denying that.

11SEC, my method does not include using the 5k limiter. I only launch around 6k, so anytime you read my suggestions, it's based off launching higher than 5k. 5k is too low for me, but works for some.

Kaw, if you have to think this much about it, nothing will work. You just have to have a basic idea of what to do, then go practice it. It will take a while to master, but then you'll get the feel and be able to reproduce it almost every time WITHOUT THINKING.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 11:19 AM
Account Disabled

Warrtalon...it's NOT ME saying anything Negative..IN FACT I believe that YOU are one of the MOST Helpful ones on this board....it was those OTHER Knuckleheads...and YES I'd VERY MUCH like to Lose the darn 11SEC EVO thing, but I'm STUCK with it for now....

Anyhow thanks for the info, and I'll wait and see how I do tonight on the 60', and HOPEFULLY no Clutch smell, although like I said the little I did smell was Faint, but I guess there No such thing as only a Little Slippage/Smell being OK
Old Aug 18, 2006, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, I know, I was referring to AlwaysInBoost - you're cool all around.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
11secevo,

Unless you prove that you can run 1.6 sec 60 feet(at least 1.7s) I wouldn't even speculate of perfect launches. I am not trying to discourage you at6 all, I am saying is that just by feeling or hearing your car is not a guideline, you have to take the car to the track and have your 60's times meassured other wise claims are just your perception.

Good luck and let us know.

Carlos
Old Aug 18, 2006, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

I think the problem is you think it's a perfect launch. How do you know if you haven't gone to the track? You could be doing 2.0 60's and THINK they feel fast, but they really aren't.
Btw, my prediction came to fruition tonight when his best 60' was a 2.0. This isn't to dog 11SECEVO or put him down, but rather to teach other newbies that you have no idea if you know how to launch until you see your first timeslip.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 08:23 PM
Account Disabled

Btw, my prediction came to fruition tonight when his best 60' was a 2.0. This isn't to dog 11SECEVO or put him down, but rather to teach other newbies that you have no idea if you know how to launch until you see your first timeslip.
Warr, agreed, but, IF the POWER just isn't there due to Hot Humid weather it's Pretty Hard to pull a better 60', assuming using the proper 5000rpm QUICK Clutch slip method!!

Quick Reply: Perfect Launch & Clutch Smell