Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

AZ IX Reached 1/4 mile goal.. on stock turbo

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2006, 01:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AZ IX Reached 1/4 mile goal.. on stock turbo

Finally tonight i reached my goal and broke into the 11s. Done with mods in signature and 104 race fuel. Thanks to Jay, Mike, Engineer, JB, and Max at Mynes for all the help, support, and fun.

First pass Second pass Third pass
60' 1.661 1.811 1.660

1/8 7.571 7.692 7.490
mph 90.682 91.106 91.745

1/4 11.872 11.979 11.752
mph 114.11 114.088 114.484

First and second run held out fourth, i was bouncing rev limiter across the finish line. Third run shifted from fourth to fifth and 7400
Old Oct 8, 2006, 01:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Great job again
Old Oct 8, 2006, 02:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mike.. Congrats!!! I am truly speechless. Please, I want to know what is the recipee. Two months ago you were racing agaisnt me and you did a 12.4 best and couldn't trap anything higher than 110mph(something was holding you from getting higher trap speed that night).

Now you are down to 11.7 and almost 115mph..WOW. You are running faster and more consistent than many people with turbokits there in Phoenix.

Is this still on the stock turbo? Have you done any further tuning? Also, and most important, were these times achieved in 4th or 5th gear.

Thanks! and again congrats to you and those that helped to build the fastest stock turbo Evo 9 in AZ.

Carlos
Old Oct 8, 2006, 07:07 AM
Evolving Member

awesome driving, very impressive
Old Oct 8, 2006, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
Also, and most important, were these times achieved in 4th or 5th gear.
Originally Posted by AZ EVO IX MR
First and second run held out fourth, i was bouncing rev limiter across the finish line. Third run shifted from fourth to fifth and 7400
But on a side note, I thought 120 was the top of 4th even with the stock RL (?)

But Iam jealous ... very very Jealous

CONGRATZ!
Old Oct 8, 2006, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Awesome job Mike! I knew the car had it in it and you did a great job driving.

Let me ask you a question, why do you think that in the history of AZ and since the Evo 8 and Evo 9 were launched there is no a single car except one that ran 11's on stock turbo? running a car in AZ is very difficult and that is why we haven't seen cars in the 11's.

Even people that dumped $45000 on their Evos and ran low 11's once(topnotchevo).

You wrote:

We all know that if you are running that much boost on race gas/alky/meth will taper instantly after hitting peak, but the other people running setups like that are trapping AT LEAST 114(+++).
__________________________________________________ ______
Who?, can you tell me just one person running 114MPH in AZ with stock turbo? Yeah, off course people are running 114MPH with similar setup but in the east coast and other parts of the country.

You wrote:

He trapped 88mph in the 1/8th and only gained 19.5mph in the back half while running race gas and a peak of 31psi of boost.
__________________________________________________ ________

I am a great supporter of Mike, he is a cool guy and he has tons of experience, believe me, he is trying very hard to get his times improved and is not that easy. Unlike others, Mike goes to the track very often and one of the reasons is to improve in all aspects (shifting,reaction time and generally to get better). Remember, this is no his first Evo.
Honestly, if you think his 1/8 mile traps are low, then my question is: what type of trap speeds are you expecting for him on his 1/8 mile/1/4 mile?

Carlos

Just like I tried to tell you before when you wouldn't listen, he should be running at least 114 which he is now. You said before his car was running in optimus condition while he was gaining under 20mph in the back half of the track. He is now gaining 23mph in the back half of the track and running like he should because he is not knocking now. This also explains my theory that when he ran before there was something wrong (he was knocking in the back half of the track causing timing to be pulled).

I have no problem with you at all Carlos, but you have to realize I was right before and you shouldn't have knocked me for pointing out what is now proven to be the truth. I know what Im talking about and I don't just post for my own health, Im adding to the community and I know I deserve a little more credability than I recieve when adding my 2 cents.....

Im out
Old Oct 8, 2006, 10:55 AM
Evolving Member

Nice times...here is to you
Old Oct 8, 2006, 11:05 AM
Evolving Member

When i was stuck at 12.4 i had my injector seals leaking boost, dont ask how it was just like that. We fixed that and did a re tune and i gained over 30 tq and like 8 hp thanks to jays awesome tuning.

After that fix it was just improving driving and 60'. Notice the 12.003 from my last post i had a mid 1.7 and the two best runs here are mid 1.6.

Carlos,

The 11.8 and 11.9 were both holding out fourth gear but it bounced off the rev limiter before the finish. The 11.7 i shifter to fifth. Since your evo 9 is a five speed i believe you will be able to stay in fourth since it is just a tad bit longer than the 6 speed. But on you 8 mr i would suggest if you are going over 7300 in fourth i would shift to 5th

This is all on the stock turbo, wastegate, block, head, intake manifold and ecu.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Boltz.
Awesome job Mike! I knew the car had it in it and you did a great job driving.

Just like I tried to tell you before when you wouldn't listen, he should be running at least 114 which he is now. You said before his car was running in optimus condition while he was gaining under 20mph in the back half of the track. He is now gaining 23mph in the back half of the track and running like he should because he is not knocking now. This also explains my theory that when he ran before there was something wrong (he was knocking in the back half of the track causing timing to be pulled).

I have no problem with you at all Carlos, but you have to realize I was right before and you shouldn't have knocked me for pointing out what is now proven to be the truth. I know what Im talking about and I don't just post for my own health, Im adding to the community and I know I deserve a little more credability than I recieve when adding my 2 cents.....

Im out
No problems with you either... we are cool. For that matter I believe Mike is the one with the fastest trap speed on stock Evo 9 turbo on that track. As far as I am aware the closest trap speed on any other Evo 9 with stock turbo was 113.7mph from Mynes Performance.

What Mike did was a bit of surprise, ask him and ask around, I am not aware of any other stock turbo trapping such speed.

Carlos
Old Oct 8, 2006, 01:16 PM
Account Disabled

No problems with you either... we are cool. For that matter I believe Mike is the one with the fastest trap speed on stock Evo 9 turbo on that track. As far as I am aware the closest trap speed on any other Evo 9 with stock turbo was 113.7mph from Mynes Performance.

What Mike did was a bit of surprise, ask him and ask around, I am not aware of any other stock turbo trapping such speed.

Carlos
Carlos,
We actually went to the West Side track in Surprise (Speedworld) where the temp is a little cooler than Firebird and the track conditions seem to be a little better; these two conditions, along with Mike's 1.66 60', led him to this new record

Just a side note, there was one GG 9 MR (i don't think he's on this board) that trapped 11.95 & 11.99 at around 115mph. Mike actually ran against him on his last run (11.75 run) and beat him. I think he's on stock turbo and what not, but not sure about his mods. He was not too friendly at the begining, and after Mike whipped him, he was even less friendly ... On one of the runs, he came out with a NOS bottle and hosed down the entire engine bay and intercooler, but i don't think he's spraying thou.

Also, the "right side of the track" has much better grip than the left track... for those who run at Speedworld, try to stay on the right side to get better trap and traction.

Cheers.
mike @ mynes

Last edited by Mike@Mynes; Oct 8, 2006 at 01:19 PM.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 01:29 PM
Account Disabled

This is all on the stock turbo, wastegate, block, head, intake manifold and ecu.
Hey Mike, we noticed that you run better and faster when racing against a worthy opponent. Like the last time u raced against that Vet, you hit 12.00; and last night, you had the best time running against that GG 9MR.

I bet if we line you up against a fast Ferrari, you might be able to hit 11.5 Sorry, just giving you sheat

Congrats bro... you have set a new time for all the IX's in the Valley. I give you kudos for your peristence Instead of just talking about it, u actually went out and proved it

Like we've been saying all along, with the right upgrades, these IX's will get to 11's with a lot $$$ than the 8's. We don't push our parts on customer - we simply recommend parts that we have found to be good and reliable. Then again, sometimes people are tough-headed and like to pay for sheat twice or three times b/c they want to be 'unique' and 'different'...

Next on your mod list: Cosworth CAMS and BIG turbo?

Mike @ Mynes
Old Oct 8, 2006, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
How much boost were you running? Nice times man...
Old Oct 8, 2006, 02:53 PM
Evolving Member

Mike,

Yes next is the cams but i would like to get back to back dyno numbers and track results for everyone else to prove cosworth cams will work. Than we can throw on the big turbo.

Last edited by AZ EVO IX MR; Oct 8, 2006 at 02:56 PM.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 02:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ant_turbo
How much boost were you running? Nice times man...
My boost is kind of inconsistent depending on the gear, still having trouble with the avcr but its working.
1st 28psi
2nd 32psi
3rd 27psi tapering to 24psi
4th 27psi tapering to 16 going into 7600 rpm
Old Oct 8, 2006, 03:17 PM
Account Disabled

Mike,

Yes next is the cams but i would like to get back to back dyno numbers and track results for everyone else to prove cosworth cams will work. Than we can throw on the big turbo.
Yep, i agree. With the bigger turbo, we'll probably need to do some supporting mods (fuel delivery, injectors, etc)... i'll get more valve springs and retainers next week and get you set up asap.

cheers.
mike

Quick Reply: AZ IX Reached 1/4 mile goal.. on stock turbo