Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

How much abuse can a stock tranny take?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2006, 02:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How much abuse can a stock tranny take?

I recently came from the subaru camp where changing trannies was like changing oil on anything except STi's. I definatly hear less "I blew my tranny" with evo trannies but it happens. Since most people are racing the hell out of our cars, when you miss a shift, because you know it happens, how terrible is it in the grand scheme. obviously its not good, but how tough are our trannies really? I am more interested in knowing about the IX's in particular. thanks everyone
Old Oct 26, 2006, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While I do believe racing our EVOs does put a decent amount of stress on our clutches, I believe the biggest factor in our cars clutch life is day to day driving. I unfortunately am a horrible drag racer, and I often miss-shifts, yet with over 300whp, 30-40 launches at drag strips, and miss-shifts still have no big issues with my stock clutch or tranny. Perhaps it is because I don't put to much abuse on my car while driving day to day. I've been told that I drive like a grandma by other EVO owners, yet I am on my stock clutch while they're on their second or third.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Let me explain this a little better, because I am not saying you have to drive like a grandma for your clutch to last, but I do not see why somebody has to extract the full potential of their EVO's power on a quick trip to the supermarket. Seriously a lot of us EVO owners put our cars through a lot of abuse. I've only rode passenger in my car twice, and twice these people went buck wild crazy while driving, LOL!
Old Oct 26, 2006, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

seee, I dont go to the track often. in fact I have only gone once. had 3 passess. ran a 13.6 with a lousy 60 foot, somethign like 2.01 and missed third(no grind jsut didnt hit the gate.) I had a 1.84 60 ft after I got a good launch, but again couldnt put a good run together. so I guess its not horrible for my first time on a track. On the street though I drive the hell out of the car. not really banging hard shifts on the way to the gym or the grocery store alot but ya know. put it to you this way, I know I can drive that car way better then a 13.6 now that I learned how to launch it. I just got track fright I guess. having noethign but the shift to focus on and I eff it up. on the street its second to breathing. if that makes sence
Old Oct 26, 2006, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

I think any problems on the evos are mostly driver error issues, short of "maybe" a 4th gear on the MR. I get lots of hard launches at my local autox and cant remember ever having a shifting problem.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To be honest with you this question will conjure different answers because people drive differently and because of this aspect it causes each persons drivetrain life to be different.

The only thing I am going to say to this is it depends SOLELY upon yourself. If you drive respectfully then the drivetrain will repsect you and live alot longer. And the same goes for vice versa.

In my personal experience, I baby the car mostly everywhere I go. However, I have prolly had about over 60launches with my stock clutch when I took it out it was basically brand new. Now with my current clutch I have over 100launches on it and my drivetrain and clutch seems to be holding up very very well. Also changing your drivetrain fluids often helps as well.

On a side note: the evo's drivetrains seem to be a little more stronger than the subaru's. However, the 06 sti I hear has a much better drivetrain setup than its predecessors.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 3000ways
Let me explain this a little better, because I am not saying you have to drive like a grandma for your clutch to last, but I do not see why somebody has to extract the full potential of their EVO's power on a quick trip to the supermarket. Seriously a lot of us EVO owners put our cars through a lot of abuse. I've only rode passenger in my car twice, and twice these people went buck wild crazy while driving, LOL!
in all fairness, to many, not all, our car is an icon for japanese super cars. some may never have a chance to be able to enjoy their own and this may be one or their only chances to. thats probably why they went so hard on it.

like if your buddy tossed you the keys too his F430 (dream car) and said you can drive today. you'd probably go a tad nuts as well.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kee1pride
in all fairness, to many, not all, our car is an icon for japanese super cars. some may never have a chance to be able to enjoy their own and this may be one or their only chances to. thats probably why they went so hard on it.

like if your buddy tossed you the keys too his F430 (dream car) and said you can drive today. you'd probably go a tad nuts as well.
+1.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

The Evo begs you to drive it until it breaks. Mine always makes me want to go fast- but I don't. I feel bad for an Evo that has never been driven like an Evo should every once in a while.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo IX MR
The Evo begs you to drive it until it breaks. Mine always makes me want to go fast- but I don't. I feel bad for an Evo that has never been driven like an Evo should every once in a while.

very good point, Ive found the harder I push it on the weekend the smoother I drive during the week. anytime Ive let someone drive the car they get all smiles and laughs the first time the boost hits. Since I know how fast the car really is, the trips to the grocery dont (always ) have to be full throttle anymore
Old Oct 26, 2006, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

yeah I hear ya guys. Like I said subaru camp...broke two wrx trannies. one was the stocker that popped at 34k while it was making 235WHP...The second was an RA gear set that popped at48K at ~300whp. BUT the car saw all of about 2 weeks with the faster setup before it let go. so 14k and it was another tranny ya know. I like to dricve the car fast. Im pretty confident this tranny should hold up. plenty others have for people on this board. I guess the real question is in missed shifts, too hard a 2nd gear shift. how subjectable are they to accidental mistreatment? ya know. becasue if you missed a second gear real bad a couple times in those earlier WRX trannies they were gettting stress cracks and let go prematurly most due to the load placed on the gears under full boost. I would so baby the car not to launch it or shift 1-2 overly hard or fast but each tranny that let go was under full load in second gear AND on the same street maybe 150ft apart from each incedent, 1 block from my house if you can beleive that. So now that I have been through that If its going ot break regardless in40k, well then damit im gonna have some fun with itBTW never launched the WRX at a track. and only 4 times on the street