Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

who is still running thier stock clutch?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2006, 11:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
who is still running thier stock clutch?

Just got my car flashed by Dynoflash. I put down 337/330 on "the Shop's" dyno dynamics dyno. Im still on the stock clutch. car only has 8000 miles on it. Just wondering how many guys are still running stock clutch with upgraded power. I konw peteyturbo was throwing down 12.00 on a stock clutch in his MR. and stock two step. he has a ton of passes on his and it still held up. anyone else having that kind of luck with theirs? i want to go out and try the launch with the raised two step and added power, just worried about glazing the clutch and killing it before I can afford a new one. BTW the new two step has been set to 6000rpm.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 11:19 PM
Yme
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I m still on my stock clutch, with every bolt on parts. 20k miles. i've launched it a couple of times, i wont be launching anymore till i upgrade my clutch
Old Dec 22, 2006, 12:24 AM
Evolved Member

just put in an ACT hdss with the prolight flywheel at 8k when my stocker crapped out.I wanted to get a year out of the stocker and missed it buy 2 weeks.The clutch in my modded 03 8 lasted 5k before it started slipping.
Old Dec 22, 2006, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

You can make it last a long time with your power level. Just have to drive it right
Old Dec 22, 2006, 09:05 AM
Evolving Member

i have almost 44k miles and the owner before drove on the highway alot. i recently used my 2 step for the first time set at 5600 and it was crazy. but after that the clutch engagment was diffrent and moved up higher. so i think ull b good with urs
Old Dec 22, 2006, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

i have over 20k on my stock clutch with some launches, and has over 420 ft lbs of torque.
Old Dec 22, 2006, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

yeahguys thats my main concern. I think the 6000k two step, is probably set a little high. but with the added tq I was just concerned with cooking the clutch with the extra tq now. aside from the much anticipated launch(s), nothign else in my driving is ruining the clutch. I guess the real question is, how many mistakes can you make while launching the car before the clutch doesnt work anymore :-/
Old Dec 22, 2006, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

I had close to the same numbers as you on the dyno and my clutch lasted me quite a few launches till i really learned how to do them...once i got them down pat it lasted about 5 launches and was toast, my 2step was 6K and i lowered it to 5212 for the stock and back up to 6K now for my ACT Extreme
Old Dec 22, 2006, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

37k miles, still holding. 344hp/351tq
Old Dec 22, 2006, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

how did you lower yours? I had Al tune the car. is something I have to have him do?
Old Dec 22, 2006, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Still on my stock clutch....30,000 miles, 305awhp, launch it 2 times a week, still grabbin strong.................................for now!
Old Dec 22, 2006, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

I used ecuflash to lower it from www.openecu.org ...but even from 5k wen u learn to spin the wheels from a launch, ur clutch is gone
Old Dec 22, 2006, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jersey Dino
yeahguys thats my main concern. I think the 6000k two step, is probably set a little high. but with the added tq I was just concerned with cooking the clutch with the extra tq now. aside from the much anticipated launch(s), nothign else in my driving is ruining the clutch. I guess the real question is, how many mistakes can you make while launching the car before the clutch doesnt work anymore :-/

not too many. If you do smoke the clutch, make sure you give it some time before launching again, let the clutch cool down. If you feel it slipping I would abort the run unless you want to kill your clutch.

Here's some advice to have your stock clutch hold better, I tried a few things. Removed the restrictor pill alone didn't help much, clutch slipped on aggressive launch. Now this is on a well prepped track, tires grabbed but the clutch spun. Reason I know this, I went through the water box on the next few runs and then the tires spun but the clutch held. Next try was to add a SS clutch line, i didn't think it would help but it did... now at the same track, same conditions, I did not go through the water box, the tires grabbed and the clutch grabbed... the car bogged now on the lauch with a 1.6 60ft. This was with the 2 step at 5800 and about 5psi. With some little adjustment to 2 step and tire pressure 1.5 60ft on the stock clutch is no problem. I have done it before on all seasons on my 8 many times, when I removed the stock clutch, it looked brand new still. Hope this helps
Old Dec 22, 2006, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

i think the stock clutch in the evo ix's are alot stronger than the stock evo viii clutch! i could be wrong... i have 20k on my stocker w/ no problems! im making 300 whp
Old Dec 22, 2006, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
clutches also hold if you don't let idiots drive your car. I had a coworker, i let drive my car around the block, insisted he knew how to drive stick, clutch came back smoking. smelt burnt for about 3 days, and it took 2 months of driving softly to take the glaze off, and have the clutch feel normal again...
also, if the tires slip a little at launch, then it takes some of the stress off the clutch.