Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

Same full weight Evo IX goes 121.66 mph

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2008, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I assume between your last 117mph trap speeds to your new 121mph trap speeds you added the Nitto DR's along with the cosworths? I was trapping 117mph with my stock turbo/stock cams then I added the Nittos and pulled out some weight and trapped 120mph.

If that's the case I assume I should expect an extra 2mph out of my cosworths that are getting installed in a week and should be trapping around 122mph. I hate bench racing but I like to make educated guesses on what to expect so I can set my goals accordingly.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RyuEvoIX
I assume between your last 117mph trap speeds to your new 121mph trap speeds you added the Nitto DR's along with the cosworths? I was trapping 117mph with my stock turbo/stock cams then I added the Nittos and pulled out some weight and trapped 120mph.

If that's the case I assume I should expect an extra 2mph out of my cosworths that are getting installed in a week and should be trapping around 122mph. I hate bench racing but I like to make educated guesses on what to expect so I can set my goals accordingly.

You stock turbo guys are really impressive. It seems that you are really squeezing the full potential out of the cars.

Dollar for dollar I guess i took a short-cut by slapping on a 35r.

What made you guys make the decision to take the stock turbo path?
Old Jul 10, 2008, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4kinboost
You stock turbo guys are really impressive. It seems that you are really squeezing the full potential out of the cars.

For me, I'm a cheap *** who tries to go as fast as I can without spending money and because I primarily do road racing and autocross, which requres great spool, low-end torque, and good mid-range...not as much need for high top-end, although that's good, too. I just don't need top-end at the expense of low/mid power. It's also just so reliable and easy - piece of cake and running 11.5s all day without any worry then picking up my kid from daycare in his Recaro baby seat.

Ryu, Cams like that usually give 25-30whp, I thought, and that would be 2-3mph, so you expecting to get 2mph is not beyond reason. The only issue would be if you're just already so maxed out that you don't see the full benefit of adding cams and/or run out of gearing.

If you recall, my traps did not change at all with the Nittos. My traps stayed the same, and my ETs got marginally better due to slightly better 60's.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4kinboost

I simply set a goal for myself to hit a 10.9@124mph on the stock turbo before upgrading. My next project goal is a 10.4@130mph with the Green. I simply like the idea of having a near stock spool/stock appearing turbo that can run 10's all day long. Makes for a fun daily driver.

Last edited by RyuEvoIX; Jul 10, 2008 at 06:21 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon

Ryu, Cams like that usually give 25-30whp, I thought, and that would be 2-3mph, so you expecting to get 2mph is not beyond reason. The only issue would be if you're just already so maxed out that you don't see the full benefit of adding cams and/or run out of gearing.

If you recall, my traps did not change at all with the Nittos. My traps stayed the same, and my ETs got marginally better due to slightly better 60's.
Right now I feel my stock cams are whats holding me back from an extra 2 or hopefully 3 mph. I'm also going ahead and having the stock IM/TB ported as well. If I can get the car to trap 124mph I WILL hit a high 10 for sure.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Right now I feel my stock cams are whats holding me back from an extra 2 or hopefully 3 mph. I'm also going ahead and having the stock IM/TB ported as well. If I can get the car to trap 124mph I WILL hit a high 10 for sure.
I definitely wouldn't say "for sure." Just 3-4 more mph won't automatically get you that extra 4 tenths, but you'll obviously be knocking on the door.

I, too, plan to port the IM/TB as a final step - not much else I can do except maybe remove the wastegate from the equation and hold on tight.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

I definitely wouldn't say "for sure." Just 3-4 more mph won't automatically get you that extra 4 tenths, but you'll obviously be knocking on the door.

I, too, plan to port the IM/TB as a final step - not much else I can do except maybe remove the wastegate from the equation and hold on tight.
I'm confident enough to say for sure When I was trapping 117mph I ran an 11.6 then when I trapped 120mph I ran an 11.3

I'm hoping to gain another 2.5mph with the cams and port work. then another 2mph with the Evo VIII 4th gear and some light weight rims.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

I'm confident enough to say for sure When I was trapping 117mph I ran an 11.6 then when I trapped 120mph I ran an 11.3

I'm hoping to gain another 2.5mph with the cams and port work. then another 2mph with the Evo VIII 4th gear and some light weight rims.
I'm in the same boat guys..... am throwing on the Buschur racing ported IM and BR 65mm t-body this week. Already have lighter wheels and 2 pc rotors... will need to add more boost and get retuned as well... I'm shooting for a 126 MPH trap speed....
My best trap speed was a 124... hopefully i can squeeze out 2 more MPH...
Old Jul 10, 2008, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, but at these levels, 11.30 is pretty far away from 11.38. I am mere thousandths apart on my runs. Just going from 11.51 to 11.49 will be very difficult. So, you have to think of it as an 11.4 almost...you need to gain almost a full 4 tenths, not 3. It will be fun to watch you go for it - you may get 'r done.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, but at these levels, 11.30 is pretty far away from 11.38. I am mere thousandths apart on my runs. Just going from 11.51 to 11.49 will be very difficult. So, you have to think of it as an 11.4 almost...you need to gain almost a full 4 tenths, not 3. It will be fun to watch you go for it - you may get 'r done.
I know what your saying. Im less then 4 tenths away from my goal. It could be a 10.999 for all I care lol. 4mph faster will be enough power to get me there if I keep driving the car like I have been.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

Yep, 10.999 is all it takes. My 12.000 was only 1 thousandth from 11.999, but it wasn't an 11...for 2 years.

I know how you're thinking, but when you get to that level, the 1:1 ratio of mph:et just doesn't seem to hold up. You can see Most-Wanted's results, and you know his driving didn't change. 11.5 @ 117, then gained 7-8 mph but never that the 10.999.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 10:35 PM
Evolved Member

Yep, 10.999 is all it takes. My 12.000 was only 1 thousandth from 11.999, but it wasn't an 11...for 2 years.

I know how you're thinking, but when you get to that level, the 1:1 ratio of mph:et just doesn't seem to hold up. You can see Most-Wanted's results, and you know his driving didn't change. 11.5 @ 117, then gained 7-8 mph but never that the 10.999.
He's also lift shifting. That certainly is a disadvantage in itself. If he powershifted or had the NLTS patch on his car I think he would have broken the 10 sec barrier already.

I think I also read somewhere that his motor was down on compression.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VIII 4th gear is much taller.
He has a 5-spd not a 6-spd. Am i missing something? does the 9 5-spd have different gearing than the 8 trans? didnt know that. thought is was just the 6-spd that was different between the 8-9.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Turbojunkie
He has a 5-spd not a 6-spd. Am i missing something? does the 9 5-spd have different gearing than the 8 trans? didnt know that. thought is was just the 6-spd that was different between the 8-9.
Yes, the IX 5spd is much shorter than the VIII - it actually is almost identical to the 6spd in gears 1-4, but then it only has a 5th gear after that, which is also short. IX 5spds have the worst highway gearing of all, but it's better for racing (other than drag).
Old Jul 11, 2008, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

He's also lift shifting. That certainly is a disadvantage in itself. If he powershifted or had the NLTS patch on his car I think he would have broken the 10 sec barrier already.

I think I also read somewhere that his motor was down on compression.
Dunno about the lift shifting - you don't run an 11.5 @ 117 with slow shifting, but I don't know the exact details. Yeah, motor may have been down, but it still trapped 125 - more than you but with better 60's. I'm just saying it's not as easy as you make it sound.

Quick Reply: Same full weight Evo IX goes 121.66 mph