Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

Going to the track tommorow...

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2007 | 03:42 AM

Launching in 3K is not a very good idea, you are going to need a lot of boost and torque to launch your AWD, I would say launch around 5-6K or let it bounce if you have 2 step. Breaking something in the drivetrain comes with the package when you go to the dragstrip. if you are not breaking any parts you are not going any faster. Just go out there and do what you feel like doing
Old May 11, 2007 | 06:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Phenix_fyah
Launch at 3 K and your clutch will be done before the end of the night.

If you have a launch limiter bounce it off there and slowly release the clutch. If not launch at 5-5.5k.

Additional infor is available in the Drag racing forum

P.S Fast Shifting is important too.
Mind elaborating or pointing me to a thread in the Drag forum that explains why. I guess I've just always assumed the higher it was the worse it was for your car (Obviously depending on how you actually launch it, but I'm speaking all things being equal except the RPM's)

Originally Posted by MRQ06
Breaking something in the drivetrain comes with the package when you go to the dragstrip. if you are not breaking any parts you are not going any faster. Just go out there and do what you feel like doing
Maybe true, but some people don't want to break something on their DD just to go a few tenths faster
Old May 11, 2007 | 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

gl with ur run
Old May 11, 2007 | 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

If you have an intake as your only mod, then don't bother. If you have a messed up 3rd gear, then don't bother. It's a complete waste of time unless you can do these few things:

- Launch full out with no hesitation from 5500-6000rpm
- Shift extremely fast in every gear without issue

If you can't do those two things, then you'll be wasting your time, wasting your money, and just doing unnecessary damage to the car.
Old May 11, 2007 | 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cs82685
Mind elaborating or pointing me to a thread in the Drag forum that explains why. I guess I've just always assumed the higher it was the worse it was for your car (Obviously depending on how you actually launch it, but I'm speaking all things being equal except the RPM's)
This is common knowledge...or at least I thought it was. You can't launch at 3k, because that requires you to slip the living hell out of the clutch just to get going. If you don't slip it, then you will just bog and not go at all, which completely ruins the run. If you do slip, it will get going after you finally get enough grab, enough boost, and en ough rpm to get moving fast, but by then you will have pretty much killed the clutch. You have to launch the Evo no lower than 5k. A higher rpm launch only does more damage if you dump the clutch.
Old May 11, 2007 | 07:24 AM
Evolving Member

Just drive the thing it aint science.
Old May 11, 2007 | 07:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
This is common knowledge...or at least I thought it was. You can't launch at 3k, because that requires you to slip the living hell out of the clutch just to get going. If you don't slip it, then you will just bog and not go at all, which completely ruins the run. If you do slip, it will get going after you finally get enough grab, enough boost, and en ough rpm to get moving fast, but by then you will have pretty much killed the clutch. You have to launch the Evo no lower than 5k. A higher rpm launch only does more damage if you dump the clutch.
Thank's warr. You're always answer my dumb newbish questions
Old May 11, 2007 | 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kevin Knight
i rather see a pro modd blow up, then a 1 hour clean up because a mexican in his CRX was tryin to break into the 17's and his $hit breaks because he was runnin to much vetc!
I just happen to be a mexican crx owner that runs at Cecil. Watch your mouth cracker! Joking
Old May 11, 2007 | 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
I just happen to be a mexican crx owner that runs at Cecil. Watch your mouth cracker! Joking
i hope your joking, because mexican's dont use the internet.
Old May 12, 2007 | 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
If you have an intake as your only mod, then don't bother. If you have a messed up 3rd gear, then don't bother. It's a complete waste of time unless you can do these few things:

- Launch full out with no hesitation from 5500-6000rpm
- Shift extremely fast in every gear without issue

If you can't do those two things, then you'll be wasting your time, wasting your money, and just doing unnecessary damage to the car.
I told you it was a waste of time, but you didn't listen. I told you not to launch anywhere below 5k, but you didn't listen. I told you that it was absolutely necessary to shift fast, but you didn't listen, and I told you not to even bother if your 3rd gear was messed up, but....you didn't listen:

My Evo did horrible at the track

17 year olds with Evos = foolish.