Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

Finally in the 12's...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2007, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally in the 12's...

literally just got back from the track (Houston Raceway Park). A little dissappointed, but i drove like crap... anyways a lil' history... i ran best 13.7 @104 stock. Now i have the below mods in my sig, pretty basic... and im still on the stock downpipe. Anyways, enough excuses ran dissappointing 12.7 @108mph. Honestly, im happy as hell that im runnin 12's now... but I was hoping for at least a 110mph trap speed. Anyone know approx whp for a 108-109 trap on a full weight IX SE? Anyways here are the details for my best slip. all night runnin high 12s

.468 REACTION
1.817 60'FT
5.303 330
8.185 1/8 ET
84.98 1/8 MPH
10.676 1000
12.765 1/4 ET <-----------
108.47 1/4 MPH <---------

I basically used the 2 step set at 5875 and dropped it. I kept telling myself to slip it, but kept getting nervous at the line... idiot i know..
Also, my peak hold only showed 23psi max... i have it set to 24 but for some reason i was NOT hitting it today. (didnt feel like messin w/ my duty cycle at the track)
and it only held 20psi after the spike anyways... so NO this was not at 24psi.
Opinions good or bad is what im lookin' for i guess...

Last edited by TakaseEVOIXSE; Aug 3, 2007 at 08:26 PM.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's about 290-300whp on a Dynojet uncorrected.

Did you say "only" 23psi? That's higher than most people on pump gas, so I would never refer to 23psi as "only." Be glad it's even that high. Yes, it's still consdered running 24psi, because you were never below 5500rpm, which means you were never at your peak boost. Peak boost always happens right when we hit full spool, which is closer to the 3800rpm range. From there, it holds for a short amount of time and then begins to fall off towards 20psi as it approaches 7000rpm. It's perfectly normal and EXPECTED that you would not see peak boost during a drag run, but your boost is still set to 24psi, so you say 24psi.

For example, my 12.000 run was with my boost set to 24-25psi, but I never saw anywhere near 24psi on my boost gauge on the drag strip. It fell to 19psi by the time I crossed the line, but I don't say I ran 12.000 on 19psi...I say I ran 12.000 on 24-25psi.

Your 1.81 isn't awful, but you still have another 2-3 tenths to gain just from the launch and shifting. Keep at it. Oh, also, I think that if you weren't so stuck on being JDM YO, then you'd probably have a much faster Evo. Your mods add up to about $2000, but your Evo is slow and handles worse than stock (Teins). HKS + Tein = JDM Slowness.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

At what RPM are you shifting?
Your mods = mid to low 12's
Old Aug 3, 2007, 09:56 PM
Account Disabled

yes you should be hitting 12.4 or 12.3 with a better 60ft and faster shifting
Old Aug 3, 2007, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

yeah, i have to admit i'm a brand name *****... hence all of the HKS parts on my car. Yes, i've gone out of my way to purchase almost only HKS parts... and yes all my friends have told me to get buschur or ams stuff etc... but its so damn pretty... Haha! k, im kidding...

Warrtalon, now that u mention the issue w/ not hitting peak boost on a drag run due to never really being in the full spool etc... i get it. I see your point.

Ok, now to the whole parts issue... what exactly are the buschur parts superior in to make an add'l 30whp? I don't see it... i mean i still need a downpipe for sure... just dont see how using HKS parts would cost me that power loss... ?? Im open to ideas now.... could it be that my tune isn't aggressive enough? i figured it was right on the edge...since i get 1-2 counts of knock every once in a while... but im not a tuner of course so what do i know....
Old Aug 3, 2007, 10:35 PM
Evolved Member

oh... and i'm shifting at 7500rpm...
Old Aug 4, 2007, 02:16 AM
Evolved Member

Your cat-back is overpriced and not as good, the BOV is bad for the car, the UICP is not as good, and you have no downpipe. I don't think your tune is a problem, although it is just through email, right? Maybe not as great as custom tuning in person, but I doubt it's holding you back.

7500 is way too high for you to shift and makes no sense. Shift at 7000 but rag out 4th through the traps.
Old Aug 4, 2007, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

thx for the tip on shifting... i'll try shifting at 7krpm next time. yes, i do stay in 4th through the traps... its a lil' nerve racking though since it has to rev so high... but shifting into 5th would definately ruin my times for sure, especially since its the hardest gear to get into quickly. I hear/read all this stuff about the HKS BOV being bad... not sure why. 1) it seals very good for high boost. in fact its design enables it to seal better w/ more pressure since it pulls in to open. 2) the price issue on the HKS cat-back... i paid 495.00 brand new (i see other exhausts for way more ) 3) i cant see how different UICP would make a significant difference in power... I'm not new to modifying turbo cars, but i'm new to his car(Evo) so Im here to learn. And opinions are very informative so... Thx for the info!!
Old Aug 4, 2007, 04:07 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Your cat-back is overpriced and not as good, the BOV is bad for the car, the UICP is not as good, and you have no downpipe. I don't think your tune is a problem, although it is just through email, right? Maybe not as great as custom tuning in person, but I doubt it's holding you back.

7500 is way too high for you to shift and makes no sense. Shift at 7000 but rag out 4th through the traps.
there is nothing wrong with the hks cat back hi power ti or hi power it self i use the carbon ti and run 11s but they are pricey
Old Aug 4, 2007, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Ryan (TTP)

Although it is just an email flash... the TTP Engineering Re-Flash is running great! (ive had issues w/ previous flashes from other vendors). I hope to get a real dyno tune w/ you guys if i can ever figure out a way to get out there to TTP!
Old Aug 4, 2007, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Nothing "wrong" with it, but it's sub-par compared to other, better exhausts that cost LESS. That includes your TI. Imagine the power you can gain for the cost of a TI cat-back. That's $800 for 10-15whp when you can get a whole TBE for the same price and make 30whp.

Anyway, Takase, you are saying you haven't seen the 10000000000 times where it's been explained why you should not use the SSQV? I didn't say the UICP choice makes a big difference, but it does make a difference. Plus, again, you're paying more for less. Then, when you add it all up, you have a significant difference in power, performance, and value (hp/$).
Old Aug 4, 2007, 04:44 PM
Evolving Member

yeah i think if you would have stuck to your stock dv you would be doing better. But keep on working on those shifts and get yourself a cheap dp and you will see a whole lot better times
Old Aug 5, 2007, 12:27 AM
Evolved Member

yeah, next on the list is a Downpipe, O2, manifold and I'm done w/ the mods. W/ add'l driving practice i hope to have a low 12 sec car... improving my 12.7 time by a few tenths.

regarding the HKS SSQ BOV... yes, i've read numerous negative posts... but i am one to figure things out for myself so it didnt stop me from buying it. I've also had success w/ it on other turbocharged cars i've had. Anyways, regardless of what anyone has said.. i've never had any issues w/ it. In fact i had it on before my tune and never stalled it out, no hiccups or running rich... it drove like stock w/ the exception of the loud discharge noise. Now that i am tuned, its still running fine... datalogs do not show anything negative in regards to fuel mixture during shifts and i have no boost leaks etc. Basically what i am saying is i have no reason to change it... and to add a lil' more fire to this issue... YES i am vented to atmosphere... i do not have any driveability issues... i was baffled as so my friends as i expected stalling and stuttering etc... but nada.. nothing. i think its a hit/miss thing w/ the IX... the ECU seems to be handling it just fine. On the other hand my friend's VIII cannot run VTA at all... Trust me if i had issues i would change it, i mean who wouldnt?? I have respect for other manufacturers and also agree w/ the cost/performance factor... i just personally like HKS parts, they work well for me, and i've had no issues w/ them so i use them. If i did, i'd ditch any of the parts w/ a quickness just like everyone else. Maybe for some oddball reason they work for me? i dunno... (my experience?) they work great!

Last edited by TakaseEVOIXSE; Aug 5, 2007 at 12:31 AM.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

You do have issues, but you just don't know it. Using it just because it works on other cars is like saying you got a 4-barrel carb just because it worked on your old GTO. That just makes no sense, but whatever. You think it works and are satisified with your car, then keep it. I have no remorse for such an attitude. Ricers will be ricers.

You say you've had no issue with all those expensive parts you've bought, yet your IX is one of the slowest EVER with that many mods. In case you forgot, I said that I ran these same times with my _05 VIII_ and NO MODS except a self-tuned SAFC. That's a part left over from my previous DSMs that cost no money to install or tune. You are now equivalent to that.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 08:17 AM
Account Disabled

If the boost is set for 24psi at 3400rpms and you peak at 21psi at the dragstrip, you are not running 24psi. This is a stupid comment.

If the peak boost you ran is 21psi than you ran 21psi. Its not rocket science.

Warrtalon says things like "If you never hit 24psi at the track, you still should say you ran 24psi" to try and make his accomplishments look better.

Did you put 24psi in the cylinders or not?

The answer is NO

Quick Reply: Finally in the 12's...