Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

Bad tune, boost leak, or bad driver? Or any combo of the 3?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2007 | 12:28 AM
Evolved Member

well do some test, compression test, boost leak test, and down load evo scan or something and post up your logs and see if your getting knock. After you done that, and if you haven't found the problem... We can figure something else out..
Old Sep 9, 2007 | 12:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by whitersevo
well do some test, compression test, boost leak test, and down load evo scan or something and post up your logs and see if your getting knock. After you done that, and if you haven't found the problem... We can figure something else out..
K, thanx, will do.
Old Sep 9, 2007 | 12:30 AM
Evolved Member

It won't hurt to do a boost leak test.Might be leaking at the DV due to high boost.What kind of DV are you using?
Old Sep 9, 2007 | 12:32 AM
Evolved Member

Believe me, the 1.8 60' is not that bad at all, nor your trap speed in the 1/4 mile is that bad either. The 1/8 mile trap speed definetaly reveals that your car isn't picking up the pace.

I am thinking, could it be that you shifted correctly in all other gears and somehow you shifted 3rd gear incorrectly?

By looking at the trap speed on the 1/8 mile we do know that you are already in third gear. I know it sounds silly but on my MR I was already in 4th gear at the 1/8 mile.

I suggest you go for a spin and also report to us your boost reading. You have a nice Defi link with the controller unit, use it as a diagnosis tool. Go to 55mph and gun it in third gear to the red line and watch the boost.

Carlos
Old Sep 9, 2007 | 12:35 AM
Evolved Member

Could it be knocking and pulling timing in 3rd gear?
Old Sep 9, 2007 | 12:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by eponti
It won't hurt to do a boost leak test.Might be leaking at the DV due to high boost.What kind of DV are you using?
JDM MR / IX metal bov, not the ricey VTA like some guys do

Could it be knocking and pulling timing in 3rd gear?
Hope not

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
Believe me, the 1.8 60' is not that bad at all, nor your trap speed in the 1/4 mile is that bad either. The 1/8 mile trap speed definetaly reveals that your car isn't picking up the pace.

I am thinking, could it be that you shifted correctly in all other gears and somehow you shifted 3rd gear incorrectly?

By looking at the trap speed on the 1/8 mile we do know that you are already in third gear. I know it sounds silly but on my MR I was already in 4th gear at the 1/8 mile.

I suggest you go for a spin and also report to us your boost reading. You have a nice Defi link with the controller unit, use it as a diagnosis tool. Go to 55mph and gun it in third gear to the red line and watch the boost.

Carlos
k, will try that out tomorrow.
Old Sep 9, 2007 | 12:39 AM
Evolved Member

I have the same DV on my IX and when i did a boost leak test that DV only held up to 25psi then starts leaking.
Old Sep 9, 2007 | 12:41 AM
Evolved Member

Another thing to throw into the mistery of your runs would be observing the BOV opening.

I have a personal theory which consist on the fact that the Evo's 0-60 mph occurs to freaking fast (4 sec or less), during this time if a BOV has issues there is no real time to observe any leaks because the boost fluctuates very fast during the shifts however in third gear and 4th gear the boost stays longer.

If you think slowly of what I just said you will realize that if makes a whole lot of sense. During a hard acceleration you have to shift to second gear too fast, so fast that even the turbo can keep up which means that you might not even reach 22-24psi of boost before you have to shift to the next gear.

On third gear a BOV leak could be and will be more relevant because the car stays longer on the gear and it actually has more time to loose boost. Remember, this is me saying this but you can disagree with me.

My .2c

Carlos
Old Sep 9, 2007 | 12:43 AM
Evolving Member

I have the same DV on my IX and when i did a boost leak test that DV only held up to 25psi then starts leaking.
Damn, I hope its just a boost leak too on mine then

If i wanna do a boost leak test, is this what I should exactly buy and do? >>> http://www.vfaq.com/mods/ICtester.html

or do I need a a 3" instead of a 2.5?
Old Sep 9, 2007 | 12:43 AM
Evolved Member

One thing that hasn't been mentioned not even by the owner is the tune. According to your report you don't have any kind of tune right?

If that is the case you car's ECU could be pulling all kinds of timing and what not.

Carlos
Old Sep 9, 2007 | 12:44 AM
Evolved Member

Yup,thats all you will need+aircompressor.
Old Sep 9, 2007 | 12:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8URV8
Damn, I hope its just a boost leak too on mine then

If i wanna do a boost leak test, is this what I should exactly buy and do? >>> http://www.vfaq.com/mods/ICtester.html

or do I need a a 3" instead of a 2.5?

2.5"

Carlos
Old Sep 9, 2007 | 12:45 AM
Evolving Member

One thing that hasn't been mentioned not even by the owner is the tune. According to your report you don't have any kind of tune right?

If that is the case you car's ECU could be pulling all kinds of timing and what not.

Carlos
Oh, I got it tuned before I took it to the track.
Old Sep 9, 2007 | 12:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8URV8
Oh, I got it tuned before I took it to the track.

Oh..you got me scrtaching my head for a while ... Good thing that I mentioned though

Carlos
Old Sep 9, 2007 | 12:49 AM
Evolving Member

Oh..you got me scrtaching my head for a while ... Good thing that I mentioned though

Carlos
LOL, yup.

Quick Reply: Bad tune, boost leak, or bad driver? Or any combo of the 3?