Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

No Excuses rules discussion - I have a question

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2008, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When someone is cheating the staging lights it's quite obvious. Their car will move and the staging light stays on. In the case of said record you can plainly see that the staging light goes out at the same time the car moves which is also the same time the light turns green. The car did not move 3ft before the light went out, in fact it all looked pretty instantaneous to me.

I love seeing you guys select the rules you like and discard the ones you dont. Classic.
Old May 30, 2008, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Evo IX
When someone is cheating the staging lights it's quite obvious. Their car will move and the staging light stays on. In the case of said record you can plainly see that the staging light goes out at the same time the car moves which is also the same time the light turns green. The car did not move 3ft before the light went out, in fact it all looked pretty instantaneous to me.

I love seeing you guys select the rules you like and discard the ones you dont. Classic.
When you're dealing with 10ths of a second the naked eye is not going to be able to detect that and this is not directed to Brandon in saying he was cheating BTW.
Old May 30, 2008, 11:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Evo IX

anything to move up a spot on the evom fastest evo list
Old May 30, 2008, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DynoFlash
Food for thought

4:5 GROUND CLEARANCE
Minimum 3 inches from front of car to 12 inches behind centerline
of front axle; 2 inches for remainder of car, except oil pan and
exhaust headers where permitted. When permitted under Class
Requirements, devices used for anti-rotation purposes (i.e.,
wheelie bars) are exempt from the 2-inch-clearance rule.
I have seen several cars get dq'd for this rule. It is there for a reason, to keep the staging/timing/et working correctly. Of coarse it should be enforced but that is the tech's responsibility to catch something like this but there is always a chance something like this can be missed. Some track's do not check for ground clearance as the driver will tech in without the front bumper on, or they are just going for what is on their checklist and ground clearance is not on there.

I recall seeing a video of a DSM having a delay in the beams from exhaust fumes, he would have not known it was a timing error unless someone actually taped it. Also another person here in Vegas had an unusual good et as the staging lane track official put his foot on the beam as he took too long staging his car, that was also caught on video and both realized the et didn't count. I have known Brandon for some time now, he's a stand up guy, I know if his bumper was too low it was not intentional. Brandon is an awesome driver and I have no doubt about his timeslip, I'm sure he will back it up again with better times.
Old May 30, 2008, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

^^yup, that was a guy in wisconsin with a red 1g dsm, it showed he pulled a 1.1 60ft or something like that. When he was on the 2step it would cloud the starting line with smoke out of his exhaust, his exhaust pointed straight down off the downpipe up front. The lights did not even come off till he was 30ft. out (half way through the 60ft). Time showed up as a 9.2 @150mph.

I have seen videos of Brandon's evo, the boy can drive no doubt about that!

Last edited by evil_eagle; May 30, 2008 at 11:58 AM.
Old May 30, 2008, 11:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah and i have seen that as well with a local car here that actually ran the DSM shootout last year.. it was an Auto 1g and he cut a 1.0 and ran 9.4@143 when the car normally runs a 10.3.. beleive it or not he has the ***** to say the 60ft clocks were messed up but his time is still correct and thinks he holds some Auto Tranny record.. LOL
Old May 30, 2008, 12:04 PM
Evolving Member

Lets just look at the facts, cheating is cheating no matter how you look at it. So instead of starting a big drama fest why didn't you just ask Brandon about it. That is how a real man would have handled the situation, not by creating a thread asking if cheating is wrong. On a positive note this thread has not made me lose any respect for you, but only because there was none to start with. Go race your car, im tired of all the excuses and the crying. Your a grown man, act like one.
Old May 30, 2008, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evil_eagle
^^yup, that was a guy in wisconsin with a red 1g dsm, it showed he pulled a 1.1 60ft or something like that. When he was on the 2step it would cloud the starting line with smoke out of his exhaust, his exhaust pointed straight down off the downpipe up front. The lights did not even come off till he was 30ft. out (half way through the 60ft). Time showed up as a 9.2 @150mph.

I have seen videos of Brandon's evo, the boy can drive no doubt about that!
Yes, same thing happened to Adam running 8.7's with a 1.1 60 foot at the same track, Great Lakes in WI
Old May 30, 2008, 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

^^note to self, stay away from Great Lakes in WI
Old May 30, 2008, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 06rs_power
Lets just look at the facts, cheating is cheating no matter how you look at it. So instead of starting a big drama fest why didn't you just ask Brandon about it. That is how a real man would have handled the situation, not by creating a thread asking if cheating is wrong. On a positive note this thread has not made me lose any respect for you, but only because there was none to start with. Go race your car, im tired of all the excuses and the crying. Your a grown man, act like one.
Awesome
Old May 30, 2008, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

^^note to self, stay away from Great Lakes in WI
no dyno and Great Lakes for you!
Old May 30, 2008, 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

^^HAHA! Dyno, thats funny.
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DynoFlash
The NHRA has solved this situation by requiring a 3" ground clearance on the body over the beams which sit at 1.5/8 th " high

When you have a body less than 1 5/8" high off the ground it will break the beams

The point of my thread is not to suggest that ANYONE in PARTICULAR is cheating - my point is to get some opinions on what the members think about the idea

Al
Al,

We just measured Brandon's car. It is 3.25" at its lowest point. So to answer your question, YES his car is legal. Now please go and find some other reason to debate his time. Since that pic was taken and before it ever made a pass, they trimmed over a 1/4" off the bumper. The MPH is down a bit because it lifted the head at the top of the track. We could just say that the "heater hose" broke... Car has a fresh headgasket and o-rings and is ready to go for this weekend.

Its funny, when you made 1062whp and then trap 153mph no one ever questioned that or started a thread about it. I already know what you are going to reply. That you "turned it down" for the track. Maybe it had "too much power BRO!!!!". Ofcourse you turned it down, I mean why would you bother wanting to run fast.....

Keith
Evolved Member

See guys, it's threads like this that has ruined the sport of import racing. That is why there are so many rules in NOPI and BOTI. Too many people b1tched about each other, such as turbos, rear ends, displacement, ect ect. The only way to make everyone happy and keep the sport of import drag racing alive they had to set some rules.
It's sad that not 10 years ago everyone just ran what they had, the old saying stood tall and strong and that is "run what you brung!" And nobody b1tched! I dunno what started all the b1tching and when it started, but it grew like wild fire, and everyone jumped the bandwagon. They made rules to keep everyone happy. That didn't work cause people b1tched about the rules, and still do to this day. It really makes me wonder how much longer the sport of import racing is going to be around with this type of b1tching going on. Guess time will only tell.

I can't believe I am reading some of this b1tching and crying lately. People b1tching about solid rear axle conversions, hey when you start to break rear ends left and right, let me know how it feels and what you feel the best thing to do to correct the problem. I know if I could to a solid rear axle conversion on my talon I would, but rules prohibit me from doing so. I would like to think and know in my gut that the rear end is going to hold when I make it to the finals at some big event. It's a sense of security knowing that it's going to hold and your not going to make yourself look like a fool.
As far as this front lip deal, WOW! I mean come on, are you serious? NHRA rules state min of 3". If you cannot retain to the rule books then you don't belong in the sport. Period!
Thats just my 2cents.
I agree with Jake.

It seems that nowadays you can't have competition, everything must be equal so even the worst competitor still has a chance. Its a joke.
Old May 30, 2008, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
Yeah and i have seen that as well with a local car here that actually ran the DSM shootout last year.. it was an Auto 1g and he cut a 1.0 and ran 9.4@143 when the car normally runs a 10.3.. beleive it or not he has the ***** to say the 60ft clocks were messed up but his time is still correct and thinks he holds some Auto Tranny record.. LOL
Domingo got a .97 60 ft once at moroso and let off at the 1/8th and match his best ET and the time!
I kinda figured out what cause it also. It had something to do with the way the exhaust was pointed and the huge flames on the two step. Off course the exhaust was adjusted to suit. I've seen the sun effect the staging beams sometimes or at least it was blamed for many red lights at one particular race. That's about the same time everyone started painting their front wheels also!
Some don't have the experience to know what actually is a timing error when an unbelievable 60ft is achieved in a chassis that 's not designed to do so. They say it's good driving!

Quick Reply: No Excuses rules discussion - I have a question