Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

Well, I "backed" up my numbers, and I broke 12's...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2008, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Carloverx
I wouldn't consider a "freak evo" from the factory, stock.

If the factory some how messes up, resulting with a 25psi factory evo, would it be fair for the owner to walk around calling the car stock? Same thing with timing etc...

A "stock evo" is one set to factory specifications, and just because nothing has changed since it left the factory, doesn't mean it's set to factory specifications.
True, but factory specifications include tolerances though since all manufacturers have tolerances within which the parts that go on the car are allowed to be off by and still be installed on the car.

For arguments sake the stars could line up where the pill, the lines, solenoid, waste gate, <insert other boost related part here> are all at the correct point in inside those tolerances do allow the car to run 25psi...so what then?

A "stock evo" is an evo that is running OEM mitsubishi parts that are within the factory tolerances. If you go away from that definition and add anything else to it, it doesn't make sense.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am not really concerned on the definition of stock as long as the car has not been changed from the factory - still counts as stock to me.

Did you find that the ECU had a 100% stock ROM, both pills in place, no changes to the MAF, and stock peak boost of 20.3psi, or was the boost higher than stock for unknown reasons?
Old Jul 9, 2008, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What we found today is that the ECU is locked and we cannot access it which leads us to believe that the ECU has infact been tuned and therefore my car is not stock. Sucks. I really thought it was and I'm honestly a bit ticked that it's not. Even if it is just tuned, I searched high and low and firmly believe it was stock. Sh*t happens I guess.

We don't know what the ECU is running though because like I said, it's locked. I'm going to try and have Aaron (John Bradly) check it out at a dyno/tuning day on the 19th and 20th of this month.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

Maybe a Dynoflash or Iveytune. What a douche if the previous owner had a tune like that and didn't mention it, because then it hinders you from getting a tune.

Good idea going to JB. You should be ticked that it was sold as stock, but don't be ticked that it was running faster than any Evo in history and wasn't stock. That was obvious to all of us, and you had no way to know it was not stock. We also don't even know what is done, but it's pretty likely it's got a tune in there and maybe even raised boost via the ECU.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Billy (via JB) seems to think that it was done by a Co. called Jester from the east coast since that's where I bought the car. But he also says that JB will have no problem unlocking it. I'm more pissed though because if Mitsu tried to run the ECU for a CEL or something and it came up as locked and not stock they would void MY warrenty for me thinking it was still friggen stock.

And yes, I do still want my warrenty, I have no intentions of modding this car to the point that I can't take off some simple bolt ons to go in for basic service, including being able to install a stock map of the ECU.

Oh well, I think I'm gonna get a cobb stage II with the AP so I can store a stock map on there. plus the gas saver mode will come in handy for my trip back to MA Aug 1st.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

It's not an STI, so I wouldn't suggest going the Cobb route for mods NOR tuning. You by no means need an AP when you can spend nothing to have EcuFlash with as many maps as you want and custom tuning at any point without worry. Gas saver mode? You just don't boost - that's gas saver mode.

You have one of the best and fastest Evo companies near you and some of the best tuners in the Evo community. Cobb, imo, is _not_ as good for Evo as what you have in your own back yard. Just FYI...
Old Jul 9, 2008, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

I was under the impression that the AP can be loaded with custom maps, not sure if it needs to be "hacked" or something, but I thought it could have custom maps so you can "switch" on the fly so to speak.

enlighten me Warr
Old Jul 9, 2008, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

OH, I'm not claiming deep knowledge of the AP - just that we waited a long time on them to release it, and when they did, EcuFlash had already taken over the market, and there wasn't much the AP could offer that EcuFlash doesn't already offer. With the huge difference in cost, EcuFlash is just a much more logical choice unless you don't have a laptop and aren't willing to get one.

Do you not also need a ProTuner to do a custom tune through the AP? Otherwise, I thought it just had base, off-the-shelf maps.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

it does have maps on it for its stuff and you can download others offline. but i would want to have my car custome tuned and the maps (including a stock and others) saved on the AP

i do have a laptop and have thought about what i could do with it, but im really not sure honestly what i can do or even how.

another reason i want the stage II is because i have the oporitunity to get one for a very very nice price from someone close buy who bought one and decided to go a differnt route with his car.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

Oh man, so you don't know about EcuFlash? You're in for a treat. I'm certain you can easily follow along with EcuFlash. Codgi and JB both use it exclusively as far as I know...as does most of the Evo community now. It would be NO external device and just you and your laptop communicating with the stock ECU. ANYONE can tune with it, because the software is free, and it allows you to either tune yourself or pay a good tuner to do it for you without them having to purchase any software (like the Cobb ProTuner software). This keeps it inexpensive to get tuned, and it allows you to have as many maps as you want saved on your laptop that you can then upload to your ECU in 30 seconds or so. Go check out the EcuFlash forum up above...

You can then change them and upload them again as much as you want. I don't tune myself, but I change my launch control at the track between runs based off how sticky the track is. I wouldn't get the stage 2 just because someone is selling it...
Old Jul 9, 2008, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

thanks i will check it out
Old Jul 9, 2008, 11:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DocCola
thanks i will check it out
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/fo...play.php?f=179

Start with the sticky topics . One of the most useful forums on this entire site for the DIYer. EnglishRacing is local so if you decide to go with a pro tuner they are your best bet.

I always have the unlocker on hand, but schedule just wasn't going to line up this week unfortunately . Luckily Billy took care of business.

Warr is on the money though, the stuff you need to do, you can do with ECUFlash today. Map-switching and all (donate to tephra and co if you do use that route)

Side Peeve more and more of the 2nd hand VIIIs and IXs are being set back to stock without having the ECU returned to stock. This can be bad for the car depending on setup. I really wish that if people knew the car was tuned that they get the ECU reset as well.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by codgi
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/fo...play.php?f=179

Start with the sticky topics . One of the most useful forums on this entire site for the DIYer. EnglishRacing is local so if you decide to go with a pro tuner they are your best bet.

I always have the unlocker on hand, but schedule just wasn't going to line up this week unfortunately . Luckily Billy took care of business.

Warr is on the money though, the stuff you need to do, you can do with ECUFlash today. Map-switching and all (donate to tephra and co if you do use that route)

Side Peeve more and more of the 2nd hand VIIIs and IXs are being set back to stock without having the ECU returned to stock. This can be bad for the car depending on setup. I really wish that if people knew the car was tuned that they get the ECU reset as well.
This is exactly what worries me a lot. I'm wondering what would happen if mitsu found out my ECU wasn't stock. I want to reflash it back to stock asap until I start modding it. I don't want something to break because of it and not be fixed.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DocCola
This is exactly what worries me a lot. I'm wondering what would happen if mitsu found out my ECU wasn't stock. I want to reflash it back to stock asap until I start modding it. I don't want something to break because of it and not be fixed.
Thats simple enough once its unlocked .

Mitsubishi isn't the worry so much...I've honestly never heard of them on the VIII/IX checking the rom to see if its flashed or not (even though I stand to be corrected). For the X supposedly they are being trained to but once again not sure about that either.

The main worry was whether or not the maps on the car will run safely with a stock car without whatever parts they were tuned for.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Went to the track again last night, time for some advice I think

So I went to the track again last night. It was the last time I will be going until I get back to the North East in mid august, don't want to break the car. Funny I say that because I did 9 runs last night, which is more runs than I have done total the last 2 combined times I went.

Now we know that my ECU isn't stock, so I decided to add an open cone style air filter to my car with a plate that James (Raceboi) gave me. Makes more turbo noise and what not, but I doubt it does much. Not a big deal, I still like it. I also, like the last time, removed my spare & sub and ran with a 1/4 tank or less of fuel all night. I am pretty comfortable on the 2 step now, I just need to be confident every time I launch to launch fast. I got it a few times tonight, but I could never get a satisfactory 60 foot.

That's where my request for advice comes in. I'm launching hard out of the gate, not dumbing the clutch, but not far from it. I don't get a lot of wheel spin, but I get some through first gear and maybe a chirp in 2nd. Is this where I need to consider starting to drop tire pressure? If so how do I know a good place to start playing with that? Should I drop front tires only, all four? Front more than rear since they slip more? I'm just trying to break that 1.7 60 foot and from what you where saying Warr, a relatively stock Evo with a good driver (I think I am pretty good and only getting better) should be able to get a 1.7 60 foot...right?

Any advice would be appreciated. When ever my laptop gets fixed I should finally be able to upload my videos of the runs, unless someone can point me in the direction of an easy to use video editor, then I will up load them sooner.

Anyway, here are the slips...I red lighted my first run like an idiot, and the first four runs where against Raceboi in his Worldone modded Evo8, he was having a bit of a hard time figuring out his new clutch and unfortunately gave up because like me he has to drive cross country soon. Let me know what you think, they aren't the best, but they aren't horrible either.

Slips in order:

Thanks for reading.

Ajay

Quick Reply: Well, I "backed" up my numbers, and I broke 12's...