Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

Well, I "backed" up my numbers, and I broke 12's...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2008, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh and another thing, I'm pretty sure the track recalibrated their sensors or whatever because there were no ridiculous trap speeds last night, which I was happy about.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 12:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DocCola
Oh and another thing, I'm pretty sure the track recalibrated their sensors or whatever because there were no ridiculous trap speeds last night, which I was happy about.
nice times! Give me a call when you get a chance
Old Jul 12, 2008, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Gotcha Billy, thanks for the help.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Warr, you around man? Been hoping you would check this out...
Old Jul 13, 2008, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Wow your friend had over 3.0 sec 60' times with 112 mph trap speeds!?! That's what I call launching difficulty for sure. Nice work backing up your near stock runs.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, you're just not launching it still. I would have to see it to help you more, because you by no means should be spinning with so little power, and you certainly shouldn't be able to chirp 2nd. I have over 500 runs and have chirped 2nd maybe 5 times ever - or at least that I could feel/hear myself. It takes a lot of power to chirp 2nd...OR...if your street tires are set to 40psi or something, then maybe that's the problem. On my stock Advans, I would launch with them at 22-24psi to get the right traction for a 6k rpm launch.

Here's the thing. Something is still off, because you would not be hitting 12s with those traps on those 60's. So, either the traps are reading abnormally low OR your 60's are actually better than the timer shows. Otherwise, I can't explain a 12.88 at only 105.0. That would require a very low 1.7 60' and then lightning shifts, but you had only a 1.84 60' on that run. That type of 60' would drop you almost 2 tenths on ET, so I guess it's one (faulty trap) or the other (faulty 60'). Maybe we'll learn more when you move East.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

I was wondering the same thing Warr, because it seems like everyone was having pretty low 60' times, and I'm going out of the gate full bore. Pedal to the floor and shifting as fast as I can. I missed 2nd on one run (I know, of all gears, 2nd) and 3rd on another. But I haul *** out of that gate just I'm still getting horrible times.

Also, let me re-phrase what I said, I should not have said chirped, I should have said my tires where slipping a bit, or at least thats what it felt like. After reviewing the videos yesterday (after I made the post) I never got any noise from 3rd, just first and a little in 2nd. I'm willing to bet its because my tired are all the way up at the recomended PSI because I have never dropped the pressure.

Anyway, I want to see what happens when I head back east. I can't wait to try out my luck in NH. But I need to start looking at clutches now. I want to have one picked out and bought before the winter. If I DON'T toast my clutch before the winter I'm going to baby the car through the winter and change it in the early spring.

Anyway, thanks for the responce, and thanks to Hiboost too. James' Evo is stupid fast, he just can't get use to his clutch. I guess it's a triple disc, which I didn't know, and he is just suffering with it. The last two times we ran together (3rd and 4th run) I gave him a good 5 or 6 seconds to get set on the staging lights before I even pulled up the them and he would still red light, bog out or wheel hop out of the gate. Felt bad for him.

Well, I got a QTB Electronic Cutout Downpipe, and Buscher Exhaust to try and install today, guess I better get to it. So much for stock, right???

Ajay
Old Jul 13, 2008, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

What we found today is that the ECU is locked and we cannot access it which leads us to believe that the ECU has infact been tuned and therefore my car is not stock. Sucks. I really thought it was and I'm honestly a bit ticked that it's not. Even if it is just tuned, I searched high and low and firmly believe it was stock. Sh*t happens I guess.

We don't know what the ECU is running though because like I said, it's locked. I'm going to try and have Aaron (John Bradly) check it out at a dyno/tuning day on the 19th and 20th of this month.
Should be able to unlock it with Ecu Unlocker. I am sure Codgi has access to it from the activematrix forums. I would definately have somebody log it too to check for knock if you do indeed have just more than a base tune.

Last edited by dbsears; Jul 13, 2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
The 12.888 @ 105.65 on 92 with a stock Evo would lead anyone to believe you're one of the best drivers in the Evo world, because that would require a 1.6x 60' and great shifting with absolutely zero mods, and you didn't put your actual 60' in your sig. Once people see the timeslip, it sheds a much different light on the situation.
You are always so quick to discredit everything just based on your personal experiences? My VIII ran 12.9 @ 102 with only a high 1.7 60 foot at a notoriously slow track. I went to another track to back it up and ran 12.7 @ 107 with a 1.68 60. I'm 260lbs and did not flatshift the car. It was not quite 100% stock though. I took the muffler off.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
wow you really think its stupid fast? thanks! no she is not a triple disc. just a tilton double...but ya i wanna know what i can hit when i get the launch down. right now im being told that i need to do all the bushings and motor mounts to help on it... i guess we will find out
Old Jul 14, 2008, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DRAG
You are always so quick to discredit everything just based on your personal experiences? My VIII ran 12.9 @ 102 with only a high 1.7 60 foot at a notoriously slow track. I went to another track to back it up and ran 12.7 @ 107 with a 1.68 60. I'm 260lbs and did not flatshift the car. It was not quite 100% stock though. I took the muffler off.
You mean based off personal experiences plus thousands of other results from hundreds of other Evos. I'm not sure what your example is supposed to mean.

I analyzed the situation, and my conclusion was correct.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by raiceboi697
wow you really think its stupid fast? thanks! no she is not a triple disc. just a tilton double...but ya i wanna know what i can hit when i get the launch down. right now im being told that i need to do all the bushings and motor mounts to help on it... i guess we will find out
yea I think your car is stupid fast, you where catching my slow *** off rough launches and did you happen to check out a few of your traps?? Holy **** man! Anyway, my exhaust is going on Thursday and I'm looking at a LICP to add to the mix to. The bug got me bad James, I can't stop myself.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
and so it begins...LOL! no i didnt look at the traps, i was pissed i couldnt get the launch or the faster time and threw all the slips away
Old Jul 14, 2008, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

lol, well i posted them here and i still have all of them in my car. you had sad great traps
Old Jul 14, 2008, 09:17 PM
Account Disabled

Its statements like these that make the m******* in me want to come out. My car revs to 7600 rpm and the 2 step only goes to 5k like a stock car, those are BIG hints my car is not tuned. Stop blaming the car off the bat. Look at the left lane trap speed and tell me that its not possible the timing equipment might not be a bit off first.

Codgi, I will be IMing you because I, for one, am hoping to GOD that you can tell me my ECU is stock, then I want to go to another track and hopefully pull these same numbers.

No disrespect to Warr or any other guys on here, but you act like I'm trying to pull a fast one AND that it is just down right impossible for a stock Evo to do something like this. I'm brand new to drag strips, doesn't mean I've never launched a car before. ****, the Evo is one of the lower power cars I have driven. Maybe it is me, I can shift pretty damn fast/hard, and I have no problem beating the hell out of my car because if I break it, oh effing well.

My rant is over, but my point isn't, stop blaming the car, I have a HUGE feeling its stock. It looks it, it feels it, it acts it. I know cars pretty well, I can't explain it, but I swear this car is stock and it pisses me off that so many people wanna voice their .02 saying "no way man, that car isn't stock" like I'm lying. Come to the track and watch me do it.
Well I see now that you already found out your car isn't stock......and I was just stating common fact. You had to quote me and bash my post when I had no intention of discrediting you. I did ask about the track equipment. I never accused you of lying. Anyway good luck with it and try to be a little more receptive of some of these Veterans like Warr who are only giving facts and constructive criticism. Have fun with it. You'll learn to love it and hate it at the same time like the rest of us.

Quick Reply: Well, I "backed" up my numbers, and I broke 12's...