Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

300whp and still slow

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2003, 12:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We can't diagnose without all the facts - 293 peak HP isn't a good enough number to say "you should be in the 12's". Let's see the entire powerband - post the dyno chart.

Seriously though, if you're cutting 1.7 60' times then you've gotta be limp wristing the shifts or shifting too early. Are you shifting at a certain RPM or trying to do it by "feel"? Doing it by feel can be very misleading as the Evo, even with the AFC leaning out the mix, feels like the power starts to dive early. You could be shifting at an inopportune time in the powerband.
Old Aug 23, 2003, 01:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
could also be shifting slow. Have someone else run the car. That will answer the driver error question.
Old Aug 23, 2003, 10:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by AvatarOfWar
We can't diagnose without all the facts - 293 peak HP isn't a good enough number to say "you should be in the 12's". Let's see the entire powerband - post the dyno chart.

Seriously though, if you're cutting 1.7 60' times then you've gotta be limp wristing the shifts or shifting too early. Are you shifting at a certain RPM or trying to do it by "feel"? Doing it by feel can be very misleading as the Evo, even with the AFC leaning out the mix, feels like the power starts to dive early. You could be shifting at an inopportune time in the powerband.
search and you will see my dyno graph
Old Aug 23, 2003, 11:11 PM
Former Sponsor

after goin over the time slip and my datalogger my car had an intake temp of 165 on an 88 degree day... that may have something to do with it....
Old Aug 23, 2003, 11:44 PM
Evolving Member

a trap of 103 does not agree with your horsepower. The EVO stock should trap around 100 mph and I believe stock the car puts down around 220-240 whp on the Pruven dyno. Even if you're limp wristing your shifts your trap should be much higher.

Do you have the e-brake on?

I have no idea. There's two possible reasons: 1.) driver or 2.) dyno numbers are incorrect. Your trap speed suggests that number 2 might be the reason but the driver is the biggest factor...I'm sure there's something that the driver can do that will screw up trap speed. Just don't know.

Do you know any stock EVO's in your area? you could try a 3rd gear pull just to see if your EVO easily walks away. If it does then it's driver error.
Old Aug 24, 2003, 12:18 AM
Former Sponsor

my driver error cant be that bad... i pull hard and fast against other stock and lightly tuned evo8s that i have raced...and besides that i have many races with an evo under my belt... like i said before this isnt my 1st evo
i also have videos of me racing my previous evo and winning as well as losing...
well we will definately find out soon if it is trully driver error when i put cams and a pruven front mount installed...
Old Aug 24, 2003, 12:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What was the humidity that day?... I think humidity plays a bigger factor than temp. IMO...The first and only time I went to the track it was very HUMID. If it were any more humid I think we would have been under water.

Anyway I could only muster 14's with trap speeds in the low 90mph's. Talk about embarassing. For reference though there was a modded SRT-4 there that could only run 15's, and it was the same for the few very lightly modded WRX's that were also there.

However there was also a heavly modded WRX that was running 12's in that high humidity so I'm definitely staying away from him. Well until I can get into the 12's. On a sidenote the humidity didn't seem to affect the N/A cars as much.

Bottomline: HUMIDITY will kill your times!!!!
Old Aug 24, 2003, 12:32 AM
Former Sponsor

i really think there are factory ****ed up evos... i had a red evo 8 and raced an srt4 on the highway and led by a few car lenghts after a mile or so of driving.... now with this evo i seen a stock srt4 at the track and it trapped 104mph...and im doin 103 with my white evo...but than again my car is tuned and dynoed producing 293whp on 93octane and 19psi.. so i dont know whats goin on
Old Aug 24, 2003, 03:55 AM

Go to the track with Al, Let him drive the car and see what he runs.
Old Aug 24, 2003, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

From the data logger, your knock count must fall below 11. Tuning around 4-6 is great.

Besides driver error, do you use bigger tires than the stock ones? otherwise, weather can't be a factor all the time. then again, it's maybe tuning.
Old Aug 25, 2003, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

When you launch, how far down do the rpms go before you catch? Also, where are you shifting, before redline or after?
Old Aug 25, 2003, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Is you Greddy BOV vented to atmosphere or recirculated to the intake? If you vent to atmosphere you can have rough shifts because you go rich after the shift. I had this problem in my Supra before I got the VPC on. I lost about 5 mph due to the BOV venting to atmosphere. It was real sluggish after the shift, then would go like a bat out of hell again. Just a thought.

Brian
Old Aug 25, 2003, 01:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Having them tune it with an AFC is ok. Problem is it is too rich still up top and you are running out of power. With a 1.7 60' you should be running mid to low 12's. Time to step up to a plug-n-play stand alone or maybe a greddy emanage. Then you will see even more WHP
Old Aug 25, 2003, 03:26 PM

Re: 300whp and still slow

Originally posted by Rollaway
am i the only one who has 300whp and still cant break 12s?
people with the same mods as me are easily pushing mid 12 passes and my best with race gas doing
13.2 @103
rt.580
60ft 1.7
Rollaway,

Can you provide the rest of the information about your run? I'm talking about your 1/8th mile time and mph and possibly the 330ft (not necessary though). At least the 1/8th mile time and mph. This would help put some of the pieces of the puzzle together.

BTW: Englishtown is one of my favorite tracks.

BTW: How much does your car weigh with you in it?
Old Aug 25, 2003, 03:32 PM
Evolving Member

Papo, with what u have in there, u should be at least a 12.7 or better depending on weather. your mph should also be in the 106 range, what was your 1/8 mile time?

Quick Reply: 300whp and still slow