Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

Review of the world's largest and greatest DSM/EVO Shootout!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2008, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davidbuschur

There was also some confusion because of a mistake on my part. We waited to dyno the FWD's until the end of the day because the dyno has to be changed over from 2wd to 4wd. When we did this I forgot to re-set the dyno to read for 2wd, which is a calculation based on the weight of the rollers. I dyno'd Daniel Daraiche's FWD Colt and the power came up 725 whp/620 ft lbs. The owners of the car and the crew were amazed and some of them told me it was not possible. I said the dyno doesn't lie, congrats you just won. Later that night I remembered I forgot to check the dyno screen for 2wd. The numbers were very over inflated because of this on the last two cars we dyno'd which were both FWD's. Sorry about the confusion.
I came to you at the end of the FWD pulls to ask if there was some sort of error with the numbers because that car never trapped higher than 134, but you kinda gave me a "who are you" kinda look and walked away. I quess I should of introduced myself first ......

It was a awesome event and I am glad I made the trek out to OH. It was great meeting Evolunchbox, Tom, Indy, Shep, Curt Brown, and Oscar. Al is always colorful and gave me some laughs along with Mike from AWD . Thanks to the BR crew for putting on a memorable event.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks man I had a great time as always

After the shoot-out is over, it feels like summer and racing is over for the year
Old Aug 18, 2008, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
psychdr
1. No other stock appearing turbo even came close to 500 whp.
2. Not many of the guys we built cars for put their EVO's on our dyno except for Evolunchbox, who made 701. Al from Dynoflash also put his on and made 670'ish I think. There were not many others that went over 600 whp on our dyno if any, my memory is not working well, we did about 30 cars.
3. Tom is 9sec9 here on the forums and he is the one that made 548 whp on the red.

alphamale, I think you are a bit confused. Shepherd hasn't raced at a Shootout in his Talon in about 3 years. He was there in his EVO and ran a 9.96, his first time in the 9's in his EVO, in EVO Eliminator. Rau has only competed at 1 or 2 shootouts ever and his car is not legal for any class at the shootout. As for any others, I don't think any of them were missed personally. We were discussing it at the shop and the lack of interest in anyone who didn't show up was almost a joke as there just didn't seem to be any interest in who "wasn't there." This was the FASTEST Q16 Class in the history of the DSM/EVO Shootout, I don't think anyone could ask for a better field of cars than we had this year.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by vwjeff
After the shoot-out is over, it feels like summer and racing is over for the year

I'll agree with that.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 07:33 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by vwjeff
Thanks man I had a great time as always

I agree

After an experience like that - what is left to do next ?

(For you - I think you have a mission to fulfil!) Get you butt over to the track and get into the 9's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 18, 2008, 07:38 PM
Account Disabled

2. Not many of the guys we built cars for put their EVO's on our dyno except for Evolunchbox, who made 701. Al from Dynoflash also put his on and made 670'ish I think. .

To be exact I made 658 whp at 38 psi peak on your dyno and made 800 on our dyno jet two days before with the same tune up (although about 10 degress cooler)

The 658 whp got me a 9.90 @ 151 right off the bat on the first round of qualifying

I leaned it out a bit and turned up the boost 2 psi to go 9.8 @ 153 on the next pass

Given that the Red of Tom is trapping 141 consistantly it seems as if his dyno reading is dead on

What is most interesting to me is the effect of the TQ figures on the trap speeds and how my Gt37 is going nearly the same trap speed as my Gt42 did with 200 more whp. I will save this banter for later.

Al
Old Aug 18, 2008, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Finally got a chance to get on here and make a post.

First off...Thanks to all the guys at Buschur Racing espcially David. You guys have become great friends and I always like coming up and hanging out. Oh yea....you make a pretty mean Evo too!! Please thank Renee for me.....I love sloppy joes and cold beer!!

Wow...where to begin!

Tom and Tony - good to see you guys again and hangout. Your car makes me so jealous. Just keep it in ESA. I don't mind racing for 2nd place behind the bad bish, but I can't handle racing for 3rd place.

Jim - I wish we could have hungout more. I was figuring we were going to hangout Saturday night, so I made my other rounds during the day. We'll get together for some cold ones soon.

Mellon - It was nice to meet you. Sorry we couldn't talk very long.

Tom @ DI - very nice to meet you and BS for a little while.

Mike @AWDMotorsports - Your a awesome guy. It was great meeting you.

Evolunchbox - next time I'm in the ATL, Collin, you and I need to go out!

VWJeff - good seeing you again and please thank your dad again for letting us stay at his house.

There are so many other people I met and BS'd with, so I'm sorry if I forget you. This is a great event and a lot of comraderie. All the internet BS goes away when people meet face to face and realize we are all the same and we all have the same passion.

I personally didn't have the best day on Sunday. Made my first pass in T&T...missed my 1-2 shift and 3-4 shift. Finally get into 4 and the car isn't pulling like it should. Look at the log afterwards...42psi and 14:1 AFR!!! Found out the 2nd fuel pump wasn't kicking on. So I hard wired it to the battery to solve that problem.

At this point, I was frustrated as hell and T&T was over. First round of eliminations, I go 10.20 @ 142 and take the win.

Second round, I get paired up with VWJeff. My only chance was to get him on the tree because he was running 10-teens all day. I tree'd the hell out of him (0.2 seconds). I see him creeping up on me at the 1/8 mile, bang my 3-4 shift and miss. Try to go back into 4 and find 2. Let the clutch out and the revs spiked immediately...quickly put the clutch back in. Looked at the log afterwords....11,000RPM!! Parked the car and was done for the day....just too frustrated and not in the right mind set anymore.

Drove the car home 3-1/2 hours without an issue. Changed the oil tonight and it looked perfect. Buschur Racing builds some badass motors that can handle some MAJOR abuse!!

OK, I'm done rambling...I was exhausted today at work and need to try and catch up on my sleep!
Old Aug 18, 2008, 07:49 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by AlphaMale
It was a fun and laid back day. The lack of big contenders (AMS, Rau, Shep) kept the slower guys in the game longer so im certain it made it more worth it for all the little guys but at the end of the day i wasnt left with a "wow" feeling.

I'll go again next year but the shoot out will never be the same if the big dogs dont start playing again.
As David has already commented, the Q16 which is the premier class of the event was the quickest and fastest ever in 16 years of the Event.

The track owner and announcer Mr. Bader was shocked to see 5 DSM's qualify in the 8's and all of them continue running into the eliminations.

Anyone who relaxed in the Q16 field was left in the pits on the outside looking in.

At last year's event all the major fast evos were broken and on jack stands before the race started. This year all the Evos in the field - Buschur's Black Car, TT, Brandon, Ricardo and Myself all continued to run into the first round and made the field. Even a certain fast Evo 3 was in the party

Another team - AWD had a full weight NHRA street class legal Evo which previously went 9.3 - (not a gutted tin can) Sadly they did not make the show. I would consider them a big Dawg and glad they came.

One thing is certain about this business of racing, you either lead or get the f out of the way. There is always a new guy who is going to come along and try and take down the big dawg of yester year. When I first came in 2003 with my then new Evo it would have been a fantsy to have been able to even attempt to qualify with the other DSM race cars in the Q16 field.

In 2003 I had a 11.65 car which was then the fastest in the world. These days a Buschur Stage II stock turbo evo can beat that number with ease. Times change.

There was a lot of very close and tough grass roots drag racing and it was a very talented, skilled and well prepared team which wound up taking me out in the first round and winning the entire event.

AL
Old Aug 18, 2008, 07:56 PM
Account Disabled

Guys, here is my Video of the Dyno Day / Car Show on Saturday at Buschur

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsKPXpShPBY
Old Aug 18, 2008, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Nice video Al. Always entertaining with you filming at the Shootout to say the least. Damn, I'm a handsome cat!

Take care man.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 08:45 PM
Account Disabled

I just finished editing my footage of the quick 16 qualifying...for some reason the camera wasn't liking the start of each race so it's a little choppy but it clears up about mid track...funky but it's all I have to work with and I'm sorry.

keep an eye on that thread as I'll add quick 16 eliminations tomorrow night and other clips from test n tune and other classes with pics ultimately...much much more to come!

http://www.racevideoforums.com/forum...-coverage.html
Old Aug 18, 2008, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Great turnout. My weekend was full of ghosts in my setup but still a blast. Got to toss my car on the heartbreaker dyno and still broke 300whp and 300wtq with some crazy knock issues pulling 5* of timing. Popped in some new plugs and the issue was gone (plugs on the dyno were new too...odd stuff). Trouble on trackday with more ghosts. Hit a best MPh of 113 with more breakup after 6500RPM and only got enough passes to get from 12.7's to 12.3's. Mid 11's next year Great event guys.

CONGRATS TO KEVIN JEWER!!!! 8's ****!
Old Aug 18, 2008, 09:49 PM
Evolving Member

psychdr

alphamale, I think you are a bit confused. Shepherd hasn't raced at a Shootout in his Talon in about 3 years. He was there in his EVO and ran a 9.96, his first time in the 9's in his EVO, in EVO Eliminator. Rau has only competed at 1 or 2 shootouts ever and his car is not legal for any class at the shootout. As for any others, I don't think any of them were missed personally. We were discussing it at the shop and the lack of interest in anyone who didn't show up was almost a joke as there just didn't seem to be any interest in who "wasn't there." This was the FASTEST Q16 Class in the history of the DSM/EVO Shootout, I don't think anyone could ask for a better field of cars than we had this year.

I'm aware shep hasnt ran his talon in a while, it was just one of the cars i miss seeing, last year was a bust, but Rau was there two years ago causing huge amounts of energy whenever his car came up to run, I literally watched herds of people flock from the parking lot just to watch one of his passes, legal or not, the car is a show stopper and site to see. I was also referring to AMS and their crew's cars as well as the chicago guys and a lot of the other west-midwesterners that didn't make it out for "whatever reason". I'm aware there was a lot of fast cars running down the asphalt, but there wasnt much on the mind blowing level.

As for this year being the FASTEST Q16 class in the history of the DSM/EVO Shootout... I certainly hope EVERY year is the FASTEST, because otherwise our community would be working BACKWARDS and we all know performance industries never do that.

Anyhow, it was nice to get out east a little, see some corn fields and watch some racing.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 12:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jack_of_Trades
CONGRATS TO KEVIN JEWER!!!! 8's ****!
Thanks bud.

This was my 7th straight SO, and by far the best. Huge turn out, ridiculously fast Q16 class, hotels partied on but were very well behaved from what I saw, and the weather was awesome. Sick.

I told Dave right before that run that if the RWD is gonna go 8s, it's gonna do it here. The sixty was mediocre at 1.37, and half track numbers were low at 5.8 at 123, but the car came on incredibly hard on the back end for the 8.9 at 156. I'm not sure it's even really sunk in yet.

Car performed beatifully bracket racing 9.1s at 153 throughout qualifying and ran without a single issue all day. Unfortunately the car just can't round-robin with a 16 volt system with no alternator. The car stalled on the transbrake and wouldn't refire, which is probably just as well since there's no way I could have held fuel pressure for a full pass (the reason the previous run was aborted mid track for a 10.4 at 95 or so). I wish I could have put on a good show against that red 1g in the final... And I'm also dissapointed that I didn't get a chance to backup/better the 8 second pass.

**** it, that's racing. See all you fools next year.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 01:03 AM
Account Disabled

very nice showing out there Kevin, my jaw dropped twice

Quick Reply: Review of the world's largest and greatest DSM/EVO Shootout!