Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

First time to the 1/4 dragstrip :)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2008, 04:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First time to the 1/4 dragstrip :)

Well I took my EVO IX down to Carolina Dragway aka House of Hook in Jackson, SC last thursday and was pretty happy with my runs. I had been to a crappy 1/8 mile track a week or two before and it was my very first time with an awd car at the track. So this time I was a little more comfortable. My first run I pulled out a 13.7 at 100mph. I knew the car could do better so I came back around and after letting her cool off for a bit I ran again. This time my 60ft improved slightly with a 2.0. My previous 60 ft was a 2.1. This run resulted with a 13.6 at 101 but still knew the car would do better because my launch was pretty soft and I dragged the clutch too much. My final run impressed the hell out of me! Instead of tapping the gas as I went to pull off I held it at about 4700 rpm and got a PERFECT launch. My 60 ft dropped to a 1.8. My 1/8 mile was an 8.4 which was a 4 tenth drop in time. The end result was a 13.3 pass at 101. I was VERY please since I was able to knock so much off my previous times. This was done by a stock EVO IX with only a drop in filter. Stock clutch too. Is that about the normal kind of times I should see with my car?
Old Oct 20, 2008, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Good times for a stock evo and your first time to a 1/4 mile track. Also good to see another evo in South Carolina...i was actually just in Columbia last week for a job interview. If you post a complete breakdown of your time slip we might be able to tell you where else you can improve to bring your times down even more. If you set your 2 step a little higher, like 5200 or so, you might be able to get that 60 down to a 1.7 and run around high 13.1s....hope that helps...
Old Oct 20, 2008, 04:25 PM
Evolving Member

How can I set my two step higher? I don't have any tuning software. Thanks for the advice though. I'm not so sure how much more my stock clutch is gonna hold though. It's starting to feel a bit soft. I have just over 18k miles on the car now.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thats true about the clutch...depending on how you drove it for the past 18k miles it determine how much longer it will last...if this was your first trip to the 1/4 you should have a bit more life in your clutch...try adjusting your clutch pedal so maybe it grabs differently...i had to adjust mine because when the clutch was put it the guy set it up for grab when it let it all the way out and i hated it...your car should have a stock 2 step at 5k rpms from what i can remember...act like you are gonna launch the car and rev it up...it should bounce off 5k or right around there...
Old Oct 22, 2008, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

Ok thanks for the advice man! I actually bought the car with 10,805 miles on her. I've driven it easy MOST of the time. I usually just put around town doing a pull here or there but not much actual racing. It does engage a little high for my liking so I may try adjusting it. I'm wanting to get a clutch/flywheel ASAP anyway so I'll see how it does next time at the track. Thanks again man!