Notices
Drag Racing Find out the best way to launch and see what kind of times other people are posting. No posting of street racing related stories!

Bone Stock Evo IX w/flash - 12.1 (vid)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2009, 12:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mhgsx
The highest stock trap I've read here is about 105-106 mph. So you're telling me with ONLY a flash and no supporting mods, your buddy gained 60-70 more HP?

I want the name of the tuner, because he/she obviously knows something that all the others don't.

And you haven't answered my previous question, was this time ever backed up??
Did you watch the video? He ran within a tenth or two of 12.1 twice that night. And it's not just a tune, it's a pump / race mix as well.

You guys need to start asking yourselves some questions... like how much hp do cams really add? Especially a mild grind like hks. And then jeez is that turbo elbow giving me 50 hp? Simple questions guys. Think about it.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 12:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crcain, while I do completely agree with you about the power gains out of cams and such (as cams on a stock turbo does hardly anything for power wise) I have to question the 1.8 60ft.
I'm still not doubting the 12.1 could happen as I have seen some factory freak evo's run 12.2-12.3 with hardly anything done other then an exhaust, but they were cutting deep 1.6 60fts. and driving the absolutely **** out of them.

But I do agree about the cams and such.
We put cams in my buddies evo HKS 272's and the car picked up 1mph, woopie do!! FMIC, maybe another 1-1.5 mph. and the list can go on.

But again, I have to question that 1.8 60ft. Wish there was a 330ft. time on there, 330ft. to 1/8th mile would show exactly what the car is doing as 80% of the ET is gathered up in the 1st half of the track. 330ft. is more important to me really.

Either way, it's going to be like beating a dead horse on this subject, good run and the car looks like it's running very well!

Last edited by evil_eagle; Apr 1, 2009 at 12:53 AM.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 12:59 AM
Evolved Member

I believe it is possible. He gets off the line nicely but I was pulling 1.8 also. he looks to be pulling a lot better than a 1.8 60 to me in the video. well and had great shifts down the track tho O Well whats done is doen

Last edited by Evolution IVGSR; Apr 1, 2009 at 01:12 AM.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the entertaining debate guys. I'll try to get some vbox logs and more video next time we head out racing.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by crcain
Yes, yes I am the Toufik Fan Club president Very funny.

But seriously, you guys are hilarious. Let me make a comparison... the stock turbo record is in the 10's. There is a guy Ryu who is at 11.0 I think full weight pretty much.
I ran that 11.0 with a mid 1.6 60ft and a 10.8 with a 1.57 60ft. All that aside, and I'm going to hate myself in the morning for saying this but, I agree with Most Wanted. The numbers do not add up at all. Even if your friend did somehow manage to gain 70whp from a pump/race gas mix + tune he would still need to be well into the 1.6 60ft range to achieve a 12.1 with only a 112mph trap speed.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

My buddy might be running another friend of ours with a Supra tonite. If it happens I'll take some vids and vbox data. I appreciate your opinions guys, but to me it adds up. I think the tune and race fuel will give you way more gains then cams or an exhaust.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

hi there gang, i'm also one of the antigua fan club members..haha. we can only go by what our track times produce. have we doubted them from time to time, yes, but who doesn't when the numbers are above the norm. they seem to be consistent with the cars and mods of other countries, but i guess it's a bit like when everyone doubts PR times. we've all been around evo's down here for a very long time, longer than most guys in the states, and we know when one comes from japan and is strong right from factory. this ix runs strong, and it does have some advantages over an american spec ix like dual boost solenoids, no front and rear crash beams etc. here is some more detailed info.

- a methanol product (mostly methanol) is added at a ratio of 3:1 pump:methanol. this leans the car out by 1 point so it runs low 11's instead of low 10's up top
- wastegate duty tables were adjusted so that boost now spikes to 25psi and holds 21/22psi as opposed to 22 spike and hold 17 before flashing as verified by the jdm map sensor
- mivec tables were adjusted up top
- 2 degrees were added up top on the main ignition table

the car came from japan and ran 12.7 consistently with a couple 12.6's in the mix with 1.7, 1.8 60'. this is not unbelievable. we had an untouched VI run 12.7 back in 99 when they came out on the same track. i dont think it's that hard to believe that with 5 more psi, added timing, leaner afr's that the car could pickup 4/10. i would however dispute this statement "He is far and away the best driver in our small island of Antigua." i was on vacation when he go that accolade..lol

Last edited by nitz; Apr 1, 2009 at 12:43 PM.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
How in the World is the stock clutch handling all these runs? Mine made it one night
Old Apr 1, 2009, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Most-Wanted
How in the World is the stock clutch handling all these runs? Mine made it one night
Clutches are funny things. I have two friends with Evo 3's and for literally 10 years or so they ran on stock clutches. They'd move off all the time, like practically daily... and only change a clutch disc now and again.

Other people ring out stock clutches right away. We do expect Toufik's clutch to be done soon though.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

aren't the Asian versions of evo faster and better than us models?
Old Apr 1, 2009, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Malik_EvoIX
aren't the Asian versions of evo faster and better than us models?

They seem to be Its cool it doesnt come with crash beams, etc. As for the clutches-DAYUM.... Can't believe they are holding up to all the abuse. Gotta be some differences there too. I need to do some research on the Jap spec versions. Never really looked into the differences...

Last edited by Most-Wanted; Apr 1, 2009 at 06:20 PM.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 10:08 PM
Evolving Member

Makes me wish I could've cut a lower 60' time my only time at the track.. maybe I would've hit 12.6-5's all stock..
Old Apr 1, 2009, 10:26 PM
Evolving Member

i can give you a couple reasons why the clutches might be holding up just a little better. we don't ride/slip stock clutches and the cars don't come with a 5500rpm stationary limit. you can actually here it in the video bouncing off a very high limit which is set at 7969 from the factory. boy that's up there and can come down a bit. we tend to stay off the track if any VHT is laid down since the oem clutch can't take that. the factory clutch is gentle enough to let you dump it on a non-VHT surface without any damage since it's slips ever so slightly on it's own and traction is limited. you get lots more wheel spin, a poor 60ft, but the clutch is saved. slipping stock clutches kills them in no time.

Originally Posted by Most-Wanted

Last edited by nitz; Apr 1, 2009 at 10:30 PM.
Old Apr 1, 2009, 10:28 PM
Evolved Member

daem now imagine that evo with a 35r on 30psi on race gas..that **** would run 7s (1/4 mile) on street tires with a 2.0 60ft...lmao
Old Apr 1, 2009, 10:33 PM
Evolving Member

daem now imagine if you had half a brain, you could actually contribute something sensible to this thread.

Originally Posted by justa4banger
daem now imagine that evo with a 35r on 30psi on race gas..that **** would run 7s (1/4 mile) on street tires with a 2.0 60ft...lmao

Last edited by nitz; Apr 1, 2009 at 10:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Bone Stock Evo IX w/flash - 12.1 (vid)